Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Truglo TFO sights in the mail, thanks go out to my girlfriend and pistol-gear.com ;-). Has anyone had these installed? I know its a PITA to take off the stock XD sights but do the TFO sights just slide right in or do you need the same tools to put them on as well?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Here is a suggestion, I am sure others will help too.

Once you get the old sights off, you are 80% done. The dovetail on your XD may not be the exact size that the dovetail on the sights (this is normal). I know many who take a very fine file and run it along the dovetail on the sights, to remove a small amount of material to help with the clearance.

As for using a special tool, you need: a vise, a ball-peen hammer (preferred), and a punch (brass or aluminum is good, steel is fine too).

Place the sight in the dovetail with your hands and push it as far as it will go. After that start tapping. Go slow.

In the end, if this scare you, find a local gunsmith to help with the installation. They should charge no more that $45 for the set, less if you purchase guns from them or if you remove the current sights.

Good luck and thanks for your support!

Old School

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the TFO's on my G 32. I had to do a small amount of filing on the rear sight, but not much.

I really like the sights--bright day and night, and accurate enough.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have TFOs on two XDs and a G21. I installed them with sight pushing tools. I won the 2004 VA Commonwealth IDPA match in CDP EX with the TFO Glock 21, so I guess you could say I like them. Very bright in both day and night, fast on the pickup.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have TFOs on my XD 40. They are accurate and very bright. I was just at the range a little while ago with them. It was getting dark with just a little twilight in the sky. The TFOs were so bright you would think they were battery powered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
LCPL_IZZY:

I managed to put mine in after I won the Karma drawing from Xd-Gear.
First FREEZE THE SLIDE for about 30 minutes (don't laugh it works)
That said, Have a lot of patience in trying to get the old ones out. they are a b_tch. I went through 4 brass punches on the front sight before I went to the toolbox for the steel. It can be done but you really need to wack them good. Be sure that the slide is in the vise ...I wrapped mine in Terry to keep from screwing up the slide. Finally broke the front one off and then it came out easy. Back one was less difficult but still takes some brute force.

After removing the old sites, I cleaned up some of the brass from the original punches and then I sprayed some REM oil DRY LUBE in the dovetail. Not much, just a quick shot and wipe away the excess.. Then I pushed in the new TFOs as much as possible and the kept wacking them with the punch and hammer till I centered it by looking through the underside of the slide for the hole at the front of the barrel. You can pretty much eyeball it when your centered because you'll see the tritium site glow through the hole.
Back site went in easier and I just eyeballed it and was pretty close because I'm shooting the same as with the old sites but these are much easier to acquire. Spray the back one also. It seems that the remoil dissipates quickly but leaves just enough to help the sites slide easier. Make sure that the set screw is all the way up before trying the back site. They have not moved after 300 rounds so I think they are in pretty solid.

Hope this helps..

Rikoshey :twisted:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If you have to ask, than you need to let a gunsmith do it. I know I'm not going to tackle it myself and I'm pretty open to trying things out myself.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Hey K7dn whats up with dragging up really old threads? Are you doing a search for stuff and then replying to the forums you find? Not trying to rag on you I just noticed a few threads that where years old that you have bumped up to recent threads by posting on them

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Holy thread necromancy, Batman! This is the second ancient thread I've seen in the last few hours with at least two new posts on it...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
well i didnt install mine, mine came with free install but i can say i LOVE them

·
Registered
325 Posts
dont use a punch on TFO sights, it brakes the vials inside and in a week there not going to glow, I broke 2 vials putting them on with a brass punch, then I bought the MGW tool.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My sight isoff bit. So I took it to local smith and have him move it a bit.

TUrned out that nothing he did would move the sight.
He said if I was just replacing sight with something else, he could just cut it out. But I want to keep the old sight so that I can use it on my Sig P-6, so I'll have to send it out...

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Holy thread necromancy, Batman! This is the second ancient thread I've seen in the last few hours with at least two new posts on it...

Well, at least someone is using "Search"!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts