Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if anyone has been using the ATN X sight in 3-12 or 5-8 power?

For my use, I think the 3-12 would probably be better for me since I don't take any shots over ~125 yards, especially at night is usually within 50 yards, but I was just wondering what your opinion is of the sight?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'm just curious if anyone has been using the ATN X sight in 3-12 or 5-8 power?

For my use, I think the 3-12 would probably be better for me since I don't take any shots over ~125 yards, especially at night is usually within 50 yards, but I was just wondering what your opinion is of the sight?
Would help if you gave a link to it, i have never heard of it.

don

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to finally order one of the 5-18 models today. While I preferred the 3-12 magnification, it was a set focus while the 5-8 model was adjustable.

I waited a little while until the first few runs were done so if there were any bugs in the firmware to give them time to work through it.

I had been on the list for a while and still got intro/preorder pricing, and they gave me free shipping to boot.

Said their order was inbound to them now and mine should ship by the end of the week or maybe by the middle of next.

In the meantime, I sold my Yukon night vision scope to a buddy of mine to offset much of the cost, so I'm only out about another $240 more for this one, which I think will work out better for me.

While the scope has a lot of features that could be useful, I am mainly interested in the digital day/night scope and the video record function.

Hopefully it'll work out alright.

Reactions: Ryno785

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger that.

To be honest, I'm really excited about it. I haven't been this excited over a gun purchase in a while.

Just being able to use the scope in the day or the night blows my mind, but being able to record a shooting session or hunt is really neat.

And I suppose worse case scenario, could also cover my butt if someone were to ever break in on me and force my hand. It would probably be about like a dash cam in a car wreck when someone runs a red light and you tbone them.

As for most of the other features like Bluetooth and the compass and gps and geotagging and elevation and other things, I may try them once just so I can learn the scope functions, but I don't ever plan on really using any of that.

Reactions: Ryno785

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I was able to finally order one of the 5-18 models today. While I preferred the 3-12 magnification, it was a set focus while the 5-8 model was adjustable.

I waited a little while until the first few runs were done so if there were any bugs in the firmware to give them time to work through it.

I had been on the list for a while and still got intro/preorder pricing, and they gave me free shipping to boot.

Said their order was inbound to them now and mine should ship by the end of the week or maybe by the middle of next.

In the meantime, I sold my Yukon night vision scope to a buddy of mine to offset much of the cost, so I'm only out about another $240 more for this one, which I think will work out better for me.

While the scope has a lot of features that could be useful, I am mainly interested in the digital day/night scope and the video record function.

Hopefully it'll work out alright.
Where did you find the option to get the 5-18 model or is it 5-8, you have used both in your posts.

The link to the site i have shows only the 3-12.

don

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Does look interesting. Would be nice if it worked like it said. I would have to wait until reviews came in on various users to even consider something like this. Maybe after a few years of field testing for that kind of money. Let us know how it works for you.

One thing I noticed though. I shows an elk in the crosshairs on top of a mountain and the wifi indicator is on. How do you get wifi on a mountain top? I can see 3G or 4G, but wifi? Maybe I am missing something?

EDITED:
X-Sight HD ● Wi-Fi
Built-in wifi allows a user to connect your scope through either a mobile device or a tablets.

Like I said, I may be missing something. I thought Bluetooth was the way to connect to mobile devices or tablets, not wifi? Damn. I shouldn't even be posting now. Just got up and still on my first cup of coffee. My brain is still warming up.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did you find the option to get the 5-18 model or is it 5-8, you have used both in your posts.

The link to the site i have shows only the 3-12.

don
Sorry, the 1 key does not work well on my keyboard, but it is 5-18.

There is supposed to be a 3-12 version coming, but last I heard they were going to redesign it to include a manual focus like the 5-18 has because the original version didn't have that and they held off on releasing it.

Here is a link to a 5-18 that is below msrp if you're interested in it.
ATN X-Sight Smart Technology HD 5-18x85 Night Vision DGWSXS518A

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a recent video from someone who has one if you're concerned about them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Seems like a lot of scope/features for the money. Too good to be true. What are you putting it on John? Also with my gopro with the built in WiFi I never use the buttons except to turn the camera on, every setting is done with the app. I can see how that may ruin a hunting trip if you lose your phone/batteries die but that's the thing with electronics Also getting rid of all the buttons on top may make it a little less top heavy.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I currently have a lightweight AR15 that I have a Yukon night vision scope on that I coyote hunt with sometimes, and I am going to put it on it.

From the reviews I have read, it conserves battery life to use the buttons on top of the scope rather than wifi everything to a device.

I think for initial setup for zero'ing and the likes, a tablet or smart phone would be handy, but for actually hunting with it, I think I'm just going to do it manually. When I'm in a blind or in my hunting spot, the only thing I would be concerned with would be the actual scope function itself and maybe video.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
For better or worse, here is some industry vendor perspective:

From our experience/putting our hands on it, its an innovative idea and a fair first attempt but isn't quite worthy of the hype. As with most first gen products, the firmware still has bugs that need to be addressed, the biggest one in my opinion being that the reticle "zeroes" on your point of impact but does not center the reticle afterwards. That is supposed to be addressed by ATN in a future update, hopefully soon. Another issue I have with the firmware, which has been indicated will be fixed with the centering problem, is that the zoom is in multiples (I believe 2.2x) instead of a traditional full range zoom and currently can be zoomed past the stated max zoom (going past max mag will be correct, not the zoom in multiples).

As a vendor we have seen several returns on the ATN x-sight, but most were for the real life quality not living up to the ATN marketing or customer expectations. But that is a problem in the night vision industry we see frequently, unrealistic expectations. Some units were defective but given that it is a first gen technological product that isn't surprising.

In general, I think its a product overloaded with features and as a result no one feature is overly impressive. ATN themselves describe the unit as a digital day scope with a night mode. So if that is what you are looking for, then its the product for you. Likewise if you like bells and whistles like wifi/GPS/recording or just digital/computer/smartphone integrated products.

If you are looking for a quality night vision scope, you would be better off with an intensifier tube unit like the Armasight Vampire 3x.

Basically, the ATN x-sight is for anyone wanting a scope that can be used during the day and night for under $1000, or anyone who wants to be able to record and share their hunts/shots. There was a market demand for such a product and ATN responded. But personally I would rather have traditional glass during the day and traditional night vision during the night. I have noticed over the years that combo products rarely work as well as using two quality components separately.

That being said, we get tons of customers a day looking for this exact product (day/night usage for under $1000) and their options were limited but slowly growing. The Sightmark Photon is the closest competitor while Armasight digital night vision is twice the price. So putting aside product performance, I understand and approve of ATNs decision to bring this product to market. I am just skeptical that they will get the quality to where they built the expectation.

I hope that when you get your scope, it works well and you enjoy it. As long as the user's expectations are realistic (and patient for firmware updates) then I think they will be satisfied with their purchase.

-Matt S.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I have been hearing from several users is that the crosshair not being centered is their (ATN) main priority at the moment.

And I agree that it should be. Especially for a $625 scope.

I have noticed in several videos online that address the 1 shot zero, that the crosshair does appear to center itself once zero'd. At least to the magnification level that the scope is on at the moment, but I have also seen numerous video that shows the crosshair walking as the magnification is increased so I hope they get that fixed in a timely manner too.

They have already addressed and updated the firmware to let the crosshair be seen while in videos. That was one of the first complaints that I heard last year so it appears they are working on the bugs.

As I mentioned, my main use for the product is for the day/night capability and the occasional video.

Since 95% of my hunting is done well within 100 yards, I typically use lower power magnification anyway, so if the crosshair is centered on 5x magnification, the scope is probably going to stay there most of the time anyway.

If it will do that well, I'll be content and patient.

I have no interest in the extended digital 5-50x zoom for shooting. That would not be beneficial to me while shooting, but maybe while taking a picture at long distance or something, which I wouldn't be doing unless I was bored to tears or saw bigfoot.

And as I mentioned earlier, most of the other "extra" features mean very little to me anyway. If I can shoot out to maybe 125 yards day or night accurately, that's what I want the scope for.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
From what I have been hearing from several users is that the crosshair not being centered is their (ATN) main priority at the moment.

And I agree that it should be. Especially for a $625 scope.

I have noticed in several videos online that address the 1 shot zero, that the crosshair does appear to center itself once zero'd. At least to the magnification level that the scope is on at the moment, but I have also seen numerous video that shows the crosshair walking as the magnification is increased so I hope they get that fixed in a timely manner too.

They have already addressed and updated the firmware to let the crosshair be seen while in videos. That was one of the first complaints that I heard last year so it appears they are working on the bugs.

As I mentioned, my main use for the product is for the day/night capability and the occasional video.

Since 95% of my hunting is done well within 100 yards, I typically use lower power magnification anyway, so if the crosshair is centered on 5x magnification, the scope is probably going to stay there most of the time anyway.

If it will do that well, I'll be content and patient.

I have no interest in the extended digital 5-50x zoom for shooting. That would not be beneficial to me while shooting, but maybe while taking a picture at long distance or something, which I wouldn't be doing unless I was bored to tears or saw bigfoot.

And as I mentioned earlier, most of the other "extra" features mean very little to me anyway. If I can shoot out to maybe 125 yards day or night accurately, that's what I want the scope for.
I was on the verge of ordering but i think now i will wait until john gets his and lets us know if its worthl the price.

don

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem. I'm looking forward to it and excited at the same time.

But I will be fair and honest with my review. If it's not any count, I'll be the first to say it.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tracking number says it should be here Wednesday.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not had time to zero/shoot, but the scope and video function seems to be working well.

I've had one glitch while recording. If you switch from green to grey style while recording, it gave me an error. But if you don't switch between colors while recording, works fine.

I recorded this quick video before updating the firmware version to the latest release, so the crosshairs are not present in the video.

Also, there isn't supposed to be any (or as much) "blink" with the newest version either, but I cannot confirm that yet.

So far, the biggest thing I've not liked about it is having to focus the front cap when drastically changing distances. For instance, when going from 25 yards to 130 yards, I had to refocus the front cap, and vice versa.

I haven't used the extra features like gps and the other bonuses, but I hadn't planned to anyway.

Battery life so far has been good. I've ran it at least 2 hours on the same set of Duracell rechargables, and it's still going. It's late in my time zone, so I won't know tonight exactly how long they will last yet.

Anyway, here's some random video during the day and the night in color and black/white and green/black

1 - 20 of 77 Posts