Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Downers Grove area! I don't have any experience with IDPA, but am looking to become involved with it this coming year. From what I read/understand the XDm would be a good choice for many types of competitive shooting including IDPA but I don't have any personal experience.
Best of luck and stay warm, it's brutal out there today!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used mine today at our local match. I have had the gun tweaked a bit by PRP and I could not be happier with the results. I also use this pistol in a local Tactical/Practical match. I had a trigger job, extended magazine release and Dawson adjustable precision sights. I am shooting better than I ever have before. I carry an XDM 40 so I feel any benefit I get from competition will carry over to my self defense weapon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am from Naperville IL and I shoot IDPA. I just bought my XDm 9mm 2 weeks ago so I have not shot IDPA with it but I probably will shoot it this next season. I suggest you come out and give it a try! I started 2 years ago and have had a blast, learned a lot and met some great people. I shoot at the Oak Park club in Plainfield IL and the Howell club out in Yorkville, IL.

Here are links to the two clubs:
Defensive Pistol
Howell Shooting Club IDPA Website - Howell Shooting Club IDPA Website

Here is the Oak Park IDPA site:
Oak Park Sportsmen's Club Defensive Pistol

I have tried USPSA and it is ok but I prefer more defensive type shooting more then "gaming".

There are a couple of other clubs north of here who hold some indoor matches but I do not attend them.

Hope to see you out at a shoot!

David

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am one of the lucky people who gets to shoot with Old School. He is very very good and sets the standard the rest of us try to live up to! The only bad thing is he makes me look like I suck!!!!

Scott....I will be shooting my XDm 9mm this next season if I can get some mags!!! cough cough....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used mine today at our local match. I have had the gun tweaked a bit by PRP and I could not be happier with the results. I also use this pistol in a local Tactical/Practical match. I had a trigger job, extended magazine release and Dawson adjustable precision sights. I am shooting better than I ever have before. I carry an XDM 40 so I feel any benefit I get from competition will carry over to my self defense weapon.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question!! It is nice to hear from local people that they are having fun and meeting nice people.

Hey flyfishtom, Did you have your trigger and trigger safety smoothed? I was thinking of having trigger on my gun done as well as the mag release and new sites, but when I was looking through the IDPA rule book it looks like to me that it it illegal to modify the trigger or trigger safety in any way other than internally????

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Hi all, I am considering using my XDm 9mm to compete in IDPA. Is anyone using their XDm for IDAP? Have any issues/recommendations? I am just curious as to what you all think.

Thanks!
Yes. I recommend a PRP trigger job and a set of Dawson FO front with target wide notch back.

That being said, my XD9 is still better for me....but I've got about 10K rounds through it. So, it's nice, loose, and fast. That has a Springer sear and bar with a PRP installed safety lever and springs.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I plan to use mine for the first time in a match in Feb. The XD45 was getting expensive to compete with! Oh who am I kidding I was just looking for an excuse to buy the XDM9!

·
Registered
208 Posts
This was a great thread to find! I had a few of the same questions…thanks all.

Also, if you didn’t follow the link that xdm9Shooter added. The Oak Park Sportsman Club is hosting two classes in the beginning of May that are specifically for defensive pistol. I signed up for the first class and they filled up pretty quickly…but there is a waiting list you can jump on as well.

Best of luck,

Output

·
Registered
184 Posts
I shot mine in a match for the first time last Sunday.It was stock except for sights and grip tape and it did fine.
Overall I ended up 18 out of 47 and I am a heck of a lot older than most of the other shooters.
I believe I will get faster with a little more practice.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I use mine for IDPA and just love it. I had the trigger worked by Springer Precision and am really happy with the work they did. They also "stippled" the grips so I can maintain a good grip - even in the hot Florida weather.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use my XDM9 for IDPA. I installed a Powder River match trigger kit and use a Wolff solid guide rod and Wolff 16lb recoil spring. I really dislike 3 dot sights and replaced the rear sight with a Warren Tactical Sevigny-style rear. The last thing I may do is have the front sight blade narrowed and the white dot filled in. I tried fiber optic front sights on Glocks for a few years (read and green) and found I shoot better with all black, traditional style sights.

I shoot nothing but reloads through it and while I have not been using it very long (I shot SSP for years until recently) I have 800 flawless rounds down the barrel (OAL at 1.130). Not that it matters a lot but I like to use Slide Glide on the rails and barrel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just shot my first IDPA match on Saturday as unaffiliated/unclassified. I used my XD9 service in the ESP catagory. I had so much fun, I am totally hooked.
I just started competing in IDPA this month. I compete with the xd9 as well. I shoot 9mm and I am totally hooked. I have purchased an extra mag and still need five more to feel comfortable. In the classifier I scored a 200.32. How about you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Used my XDm 3.8 in my first ever IDPA match and came in 3rd overall and 2nd most accurate. ;) I'd say the XDm's are good to go.

I also noticed a trend of XD's being the most popular poly in the match. We were all of course outnumbered by 1911's though. :razz:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.