Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. The EFK Firedragon barrels run around $150 plus some minor fitting is usually required. Anybody have one? Satisfied? Standard or ported?? How does it compare to the BarSto that costs about $50 more?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have an EFK 9mm Conversion Barrel for my 4" XD357. It is a 5" Ported Barrel, which means it sticks out 1" past the front of the slide, the ports being slots cut crossways in the top of the front 1" of the Barrel. It fit with no modifications or adjustments needed. Shooting 9mm with an extra long ported Barrel, the recoil and muzzle flip is cut way down compared to shooting 357 Sig, and instead of $13.00/50 for Range ammo ($9.95 being the cheapest I've bought) I can now shoot the Academy Sports $3.86/50 9mm CCI Blazer. I shoot much more often now.

The only problem I've noticed with it is that I was getting some fail to ejects with Don's Guide Rod and a 22# Spring. Change back to the Factory Spring - No more problem.

I have plans to test it to see if it's as accurate as the factory barrel. I seem to be more accurate with the Factory 357 Sig Barrel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had an XD9 Tactical that didn't shoot well with the factory barrel. I solved that problem with a BarSto. I wrote it up for the discussion board. Search for "BarSto barrel fixes XD9 Tactical accuracy problem" or some words similar in the subject line. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
willbond said:
I have an EFK 9mm Conversion Barrel for my 4" XD357.

The only problem I've noticed with it is that I was getting some fail to ejects with Don's Guide Rod and a 22# Spring. Change back to the Factory Spring - No more problem.
Will,

you need a weaker spring when shooting 9mm because the stiffer springs sometimes won't allow the slide to cycle correctly for the 9mm casings to clear the ejection port. Try an 18 or 20# spring and I bet that clears up the problem.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
willbond said:
I have an EFK 9mm Conversion Barrel for my 4" XD357. It is a 5" Ported Barrel, which means it sticks out 1" past the front of the slide, the ports being slots cut crossways in the top of the front 1" of the Barrel. It fit with no modifications or adjustments needed. Shooting 9mm with an extra long ported Barrel, the recoil and muzzle flip is cut way down compared to shooting 357 Sig, and instead of $13.00/50 for Range ammo ($9.95 being the cheapest I've bought) I can now shoot the Academy Sports $3.86/50 9mm CCI Blazer. I shoot much more often now.

I have plans to test it to see if it's as accurate as the factory barrel. I seem to be more accurate with the Factory 357 Sig Barrel.
Cool, I did not realize that you could put a ported 5 inch barrel in a 4 inch service XD. Could you post pictures of that conversion? I would think it looks pretty slick. This makes is really tempting to get a longer 9mm barrel for my XD-40 Service. How well do the 9mm rounds feed out of the 357Sig/40S&W magazines? Or did you buy 9mm magazines? How much different is the point of impact with the new barrel compared to the factory barrel? Sorry so many questions but this sounds like a neat idea.

mcb

·
Registered
556 Posts
mcb said:
How well do the 9mm rounds feed out of the 357Sig/40S&W magazines? Or did you buy 9mm magazines?
I'm wondering this same thing. I'm planning on buying a 9mm conversion barrel for my .40 Service within a couple of weeks and am wondering if I'll have to buy a new set of magazines when I do.

-James

·
Registered
539 Posts
The 9mm rounds feed ok out of the 357/40 mags, but sometimes the slide doesn't stay open after the last round. I modified one of my 357/40 10 rounders by bending in the feed lips (per a really good thread here) and it works better, but I decided to err on the side of caution and probably didn't bend the lips far enough. The mag works better, but it's not 100%. Others have claimed complete success with this method and I really should finish it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does anybody know of a good thread about these aftermarket barrels? I am thinking about getting the 9 for my 40, and have done some searches and haven't found much on what exactly I'll need (springs, clips, etc.). Dose Springfield sell conversion barrels direct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the EFK 9mm conversion 4" for my standard XD40 and it works great. I have read you can alter your .40 mags to make them work fine but I went ahead and bought a 15 round 9mm mag anyway. I can still shoot .40 out of that mag and I just didn't want to fiddle with the mags I already had.

As for the spring problems I can't say I've had any. I've only had DGR and 22# spring for about 100 rounds of 9mm in my XD but didn't have one hiccup using the 9mm mag. I still have the factory spring in my pistol bag in the event I do start to have problems I can just switch it out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where can I get a Stainless 9mm conversion for my xd40. I have gone to the EFK web site but there is no option that I can see for stainless ..or are all of their barrels stainless ? I really like the contrast it gives.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm 95% certain that all their barrels are stainless. As a matter of fact, I think you have to pay extra to get it painted black. I have one for the Service in 9mm and it is stainless.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
The barrels will be available in early April, if EFK sticks to their run dates. As for the mags, I don't have a date on when the new batch will arrives. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want the .40 EFK standard unported for the .40 XD Service. Just cuz I want one. Guess I'll have to order directly from EFK. Unless one of our great commercial sponsors can offer me a better price! James? Old School? Anyone? :D

Not a word from any of the above. Oh well, I tried. 'Ordered directly from EFK. I requested dull matte vs. shiny s/s - they also offer blackened s/s for a little more. Looking forward to receiving in about a week.

W

·
0 Posts
I have an EFK 9mm Conversion Barrel for my 4" XD40. It is a 5" Ported Barrel...it sticks out 1" past the front of the slide. It fit with no modifications or adjustments needed. I've had no problems with the DGR and a #22 spring. I love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts