Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic states.. I'm curious how the XD will stand up in a weeks worth of serious shooting/training. I'm talking about really slingin' lead down range.
I read training course reviews all the time and people always mention "so and so had a malfunction with his _____." I would one day like to go to Thunder Ranch or Blackwater. I just don't want the XD to hiccup and be on those online reviews. :cry:

R

·
0 Posts
do a search for the 20,000 round torcher test

it was in a handgun magazine done my a member here

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
our team went to Midsouth this year and did a ton of shooting, unfortunately I didnt have my XD yet ........hopefully we'll go again this year and I can beat the hell outta hit......But I put my Beretta thru the paces with no problems and did see quite a few failures with some of our guys shooting G-Locks........The Beretta has now been retired from tactical duty use and now its just gonna be XD 40 Tactical full time

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took an intensive defensive pistol course at my local range, mostly CQB, night fire, team tactics. The instructor is a detective and head of a local anti-gang task force.

I shot about 1200 rounds over 4 days. I'd say it broke down to 250 rounds on day 1, 250 on day 2, 350 on day 3, and 350 on day 4. I cleaned my XD40 tactical in between days 3 and 4 only. No problems to report, and I was shooting UMC 165 grain, filthy stuff. I probably had 4 ftf total, using 6 different factory mags, but there was a lot of off hand shooting. I might have limp wristed a few.

jb

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was just at Frontsight a couple weeks ago, for 4 days in the desert. The range where we spent most of our time was gravelled, so pretty dusty as well. The parking lots and roads within the compound were dirt. I definitely picked the wrong week to wear black tennis shoes.

We "only" shot about 800 rds over the 4 days, so I don't know if this is as grueling of a test as you're looking for...but I had left my fuller cleaning kit at home, and only had a small bottle of CLP, a boresnake, and a few patches in my range bag.

I spent about 10 minutes "semi"-cleaning during the evening of day 2, ran the boresnake through at the end of day 3, and that's it. Never a hiccup from the XD the whole time. I did have a BUG with me (XD40SC), but it never came out of the case.

Suffice it to say the XD got a sound cleaning when I got home, but it never stumbled during its time in Nevada.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have used my XD-9 service in 3 different "tactical pistol" type courses. 2 of them were one day and the other was a weekend course. In all cases the XD hit what I was aiming at and had but one FTF (which I think was a bad primer as I tried the round 3 times without ignition.) It was as reliable as the SIGs and Glocks in the class.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I took the 3-day introductory course at the Chapman Academy a few years ago. This is locate at the Green Valley Rifle and Pistol Club of Columbia, which is home for the annual Bianchi Cup. My HS2K performed without a bobble through 1200 rounds. The gun has in excess of 10,000 without a malf.

http://chapmanacademy.com/about.shtml

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reassurance guys! The most I ever shoot at a time is 200-300 a session with a thorough cleaning afterwards. Wasn't too sure how it would behave with a high round count with little to no cleaning in between.

Frenchy, what caliber HS do you have?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
021411 said:
Thanks for the reassurance guys! The most I ever shoot at a time is 200-300 a session with a thorough cleaning afterwards. Wasn't too sure how it would behave with a high round count with little to no cleaning in between.

Frenchy, what caliber HS do you have?
The HS came in 9mm, but an old member of this forum did manage to get a hold of a rare Gen. 3 .40 once.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use to post as "Airshooter" its been a while. My xd-40 has been through all 5 levels of training with Tom Givens at Rangemaster in Memphis, Tn. At each level shot between 250-300 rounds over two days.

Other courses my XD-40 has been through without any problems include the following: Rangemaster Two-day Combative Pistol course, John Farnam's Advanced Defensive handgun Course, Gabe Suarez Combative Pistol concepts II, Jim Higginbotham's Intensive Marksmanship clinic, and the Tennessee Firearms Instructor Course. These courses are high round count intensive shooting courses with well know and respected trainers.

My XD-40 was cleaned at the end of each day in prepration for the next day of shooting. Some may say "no wonder the XD-40 didn't malfunction during the courses if you clean it every night during the course." When you train with these people you come prepared to learn by shooting. Not fix broken stuff and you don't hold the class back by not being ready both mentally and with you equipmnet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My XD 9 saw me through Defensive Edge handgun I and II, two days / 800 rounds each, without any problem. It was also my sidearm in carbine I/II, ran during a nice little sleet storm, and functioned flawlessly through those classes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you need to shoot more than a couple magazines through a pistol during a gun battle, you better be running like hell for your rifle. 8) Like GFoon suggested, there is no reason to not clean the gun at the end of a day. I have taken handgun courses where guys actually wiped the gun down at lunch time. By wipe down I mean they used some patches to clean the feed ramp, around the extractor and swab out inside the frame. Not a scrubbing or anything, but just to wipe out some of the powder fouling. Who cares if the barrel is fouled, that doesn't cause FTFeed or FTExtract.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One thing to consider picking up if you are going to be in a high round count class or shooting a lot of ammo in one day- A boresnake. Those things are awesome and can give a dirty barrel/ramp a good clean in no time. I generally boresnake and give the pistol a quick lube with Gun butter (quick squirt in the rails and finger rub some on the barrel every 500 rounds or so) whenever I go shooting all day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took a two day handgun defense course at Insights Training Center http://www.insightstraining.com/ which wasn't that "intense" on gun reliabilty but it did cause a failure in a S&W revolver and one small Gock .40, and one H&K mag. My XD had no problems and earned some respect for the Gock owners which was almost everyone including the instructors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts