Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My NPAP M70 came with two magazines; one polymer Tapco and one metal (I'm guessing Korean?). The metal one fits just fine, however, I don't like the feel of metal magazines. I guess it's a texture thing, but I've never liked them. The Tapco magazine fits pretty good, but there is just the slightest bit of wobble when inserted. I was thinking about trying out some Pmags. Does anyone have any experience with them? They seem to run about $3.00 more than the Tapco mags, which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Pmags are good....most tapco I've dealt with was cheap junk....metal is good because it doesn't deform.....Find whatever works for you....

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Pretty much exclusively Pmags in my 5.56/.223 rifles. Cheap, reliable, and have been very durable for me.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've only used Pmag 20 rounders in mine. They've always worked, so I've had no reason to try anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i use pmags and troy mags. they've both run flawlessly. theres a ton of hype behind polymer mags but i haven't heard too many negative things and never experienced any hiccups.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I have read that pmags for the ar platform are better than sliced bread, and I believe it. But I have also read that they are not as good comparatively in the ak platform because the whole mag sticks out of the gun and there are no metal inserts. They can be broken off.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Tapcos are fine in AK's but no substitute for good old steel. You really can't compare AR mags to AK mags.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Tapcos are fine in AK's but no substitute for good old steel. You really can't compare AR mags to AK mags.
Or russian/Bulgarian polymer and bakelite. TOTH tool makes polymer mags that are steel reinforced like the Gen 2 PMags are supposed to have. Nothing beats the good ole steels though. If you don't like the texture, cover then with tape or inner tubes, or undercoat/bed liner.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Nothing beats the good ole steels though.
Quoted because I feel the same way on my AK mags.

I have 4 of the decidedly silver colored south Korean mags which feel more like aluminum than steel and only 2 of them will lock into the npap. The tab is too thick for the ak release to lock closed.

I could probably sand or grind the mags so they will all lock into the npap without issue, but I decided to just use all 4 of those mags in my rommy.

I like Pmags for my AR's though even by saying that I must admit that most of my AR mags are GI issue metal mags, but for my AK's, I like steel surplus.

I have 4 AK promags that I've had for years (I think someone gave them to me), but I wouldn't trust my life to them. I only use them for casual plinking at our range.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I have no issues with my Tapco Galil mags in my Saiga .223---cheap reliable and plentiful...

Everything from Magpul I have utilized on ARs or AKs has been Top Tier...I wouldn't hesitate to pick up their AK offerings

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read today that Magpul is planning to release another version of their polymer AK magazine that is steel reinforced. No idea when though. I may wait for the newer model to release. What steel mags work well in the NPAP?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I read today that Magpul is planning to release another version of their polymer AK magazine that is steel reinforced. No idea when though. I may wait for the newer model to release. What steel mags work well in the NPAP?
Most mags do. If it is your only AK and the mags won't latch, mod the mags. I wouldn't worry about the steel reinforcements for casual shooting. if you're like me and throw, kick, drop, swim, and are just utterly abusive to your weapons....wait. Too many good surplus mags out there to worry about the US made mags.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Im new to rifles

Plastic vs. Metal?

Your choice. Ill be using metal.

I got some metal mags from AIM surplus and they work great for the AR at $8 per.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Im new to rifles

Plastic vs. Metal?

Your choice. Ill be using metal.

I got some metal mags from AIM surplus and they work great for the AR at $8 per.
On the AR platform, it's a different story...I've never had a mis-feed in a Pmag, but occasionally from USGI mags (some of mine are pretty beat up). Some off-brand C-Products were hit and miss.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If I drop a mag from the rifle to the ground I dont want it to break. The plastic seems tough enough but i prefer metal.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Ive got a couple Pmags even one with the cute little window. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts