Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting fed up with the occasional rust on my XD. Yes, we all know about that. I'm going to use Brownell's Gun Kote bake on finish. I would like to see pics of the colors if anyone has used this before. I'm told that the color chart on the website isn't accurate. I'm kind of leaning towards a silver or stainless for a bi-tone look. I wouldn't be opposed to a black of some sort either. No OD or browns though please. Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of them, but they would look like hell with my uniform :lol: . Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I'm not trying to bump this thread, but is there anyone out there that's used this stuff? Please help.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Brownells stuff costs about $30 +/- a couple right???...plus shipping cost and wait time to recieve it.

IMO...you would be much better off spending approx. $10 more and sending it to Ajames to have your slide and possibley even controls coated. He has experience and his down time is minimal. Turnaround is around 48 hours and the outcome looks great.

I imagine proper prep plays a big part in the outcome of how the Brownells stuff would look just as when you paint or coat anything. I have personally seen a couple of Brownell coated pistols and wasnt very impressed. I'm sure it had something to do with the amount of prep and time that went into the jobs but like I said...you cant go wrong with Ajames.

There is something to be said for doing it yourself but when it really doesnt cost much, if anything more to have a pro do it then why not treat yourself.
Ajames does solid fast work on the cheap!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I did my STI, and my Remington 1100 with the Brownells stuff that you don't need to bake, you just let it sit for a couple days.
They both turned out good, but what a pain. If you don't have a paint booth the stuff gets all over, and with the spray, :roll: wait, spray, :roll: wait, and spray again to get three coats it took almost two hours+clean up :( . They turned out ok, but they are working guns, and didn't look that good to start with.
I sent my XD to Canyon Creek, and it was worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts