Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Cabela's this weekend (To WWIIArmsLover; Didn't see any sort of sights up there!) and got some CLP and the Powder Blaster. What are your opinions? Worth it? Things I should know about? One thing I was curious about was the Powder Blaster. The can says not to use on synthetics! Should I be careful about using it on the frame (considering Polymer is basically a synthetic plastic). Any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use both of those products and they work fine. I haven't had any problems with the Powder Blaster and my stock so far but I try to avoid getting it on my stock also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I swear by CLP!!! I think this is the best stuff out there! I like Gun-Scrubber much better than Powder Blaster though.

Just my .02

J

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I have used Break Free for over 20 years and it works excellent.
I am trying other products lately though...trying to broaden my horizions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
+1 for break free. I use it in all my guns.I carry it in my range bag, sometimes if I shoot dirty ammo in my 22 it jams up after 200 rnds or so, I just squirt some breakfree in there and shes good to go.Also works good to keep rust off your xd, just wipe down the outside and clean off the excess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I swear by break free, but if I can find it, "Strike Hold" Is the best stuff out there. Used it in the Desert on our M4s, and it worked great. Too much CLP can get sand gummed up on your weapon, but the Strike hold lets teh sand blow right off. Get some if you can find it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Old habits die hard. Since I had to scrub the dickens out of my M16 in boot camp (rifle serial number 6142479) I have always put my trousers on left leg first, stepped off with my left foot and used CLP for every weapons cleaning, which habitually takes place after each shoot. CLP is my old stand by, I even have a leftover M16 rifle butt cleaning kit with the little CLP bottle from my time in Iraq back in 91, still has a bit of Iraqi sand in it...I keep that one sealed up in a shadowbox along with a rank patch from an Iraqi Colonel I captured.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
[email protected] the Iraqi sand in his CLP bottle.
+1 to ya bro. That little bit of nothin will be a relic come years down the road.
Thank you :?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx fo rthe replies guys! I have been using MPro-7 as of late but I always heard good things about Break-Free. How about the second part of my question. I understand I can try to keep it off the frame but I really wanted it for internal cleaning. Should I be on the lookout or what??

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I use both M-Pro 7 and CLP. The M-Pro 7 for bore cleaning and the CLP for everything else and lube. CLP is great.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WaltherP99 said:
Thanx fo rthe replies guys! I have been using MPro-7 as of late but I always heard good things about Break-Free. How about the second part of my question. I understand I can try to keep it off the frame but I really wanted it for internal cleaning. Should I be on the lookout or what??
WaltherP99 said:
Should I be careful about using it on the frame (considering Polymer is basically a synthetic plastic). Any help would be great!!!
It will be just fine on your frame. I am sure that is a CMA kind of thing from the manufacturer. I have used it on every piece of plastic and rubber on pistols for years, and I have had no problems at all. Nothing but pure satisfaction!

J

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is there anything else but CLP? :wink:

As stated before me, old habits are hard to break. Nothing but CLP goes on my weapons. If it is good enough for the boys in Afghanistan & Iraq, by God, it is good enough for me!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've used Break-Free for years, works great.However it seems a little thin for guide rails and lock up so I've been trying military surplus LSA. This stuff seems to work great, it's a thick white semi-fluid and I beleive it's loaded with teflon.Anyone else tried this stuff? You can find it for 7-10 bucks a quart.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you guys do your cleaning with Break-Free? Do you just spray on and wipe or do you still brush? I just sprayed and wiped with them and it seems like I got a good cleaning. Should I still brush as an extra measure? what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I usually like to soak the slide down and let it sit for a few hours on some kinda incline. So the excess will run out. That gives it time to get into the nooks and work some of the gun loose. Then I'll take a cheap tooth brush and get everything good and scrubbed loose.
Then get into detail with some patches and q-tips.
Course don't do like I did and try shovin a q-tip into the frame where it wont fit......it'll pop springs loose!
Note: I think it says to do it like that on the can :wink:

·
Registered
401 Posts
WaltherP99 said:
How do you guys do your cleaning with Break-Free? Do you just spray on and wipe or do you still brush? I just sprayed and wiped with them and it seems like I got a good cleaning. Should I still brush as an extra measure? what do you guys think?
I only brush the bore, and not necessarily during every cleaning session. Using a cloth will get most of the gunk off. Sometimes I use a toothbrush to loosen caked-on deposits like on the breechface and extractor.

If the CLP-soaked cloth is removing the visible gunk, don't worry about brushing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only brush the bore
Mainly what I was getting at (sorry for not saying! :D ).

[quoteSometimes I use a toothbrush to loosen caked-on deposits like on the breechface and extractor.[/quote]

Guess I should be getting myself a toothbrush!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts