anyone use a springer precision red dot mount for the 5.25 adjustable sight | Springfield XD Forum

anyone use a springer precision red dot mount for the 5.25 adjustable sight

Discussion in 'Springfield XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by Jhphurt, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Dec 12, 2017 #1
    Jhphurt

Jhphurt XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    ordered a Red dot mount from springer for my 9mm 5.25 comp with adjustable rear sight, I was wondering how good they hold up, They said at springer that they never had a problem with them coming loose, it looks like it fits pretty good down inside of the cavity where the rear sight was one screw holds it on. Anyone with this same mount please Respond on how it has been working out.

2. Dec 13, 2017 #2
    525xdm9

525xdm9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  3. Dec 14, 2017 #3
    gandalf

gandalf XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I put a Vortex Viper on my 5.25 with the Springer mount last summer. Didn't shoot it much until my "iron sight season" ended in October. Shot a USPSA match, in CO with it 2 weeks ago after only putting about 100 down the pipe beforehand. Shot 95 A zone hits, my best ever, but it took extra time after the draw to "find the dot". I since removed the distracting F/O from the front sight and have hopes that some dry fire practice will help with the "finding the dot" issue.
    I don't expect any issues with the adapter plate and as long as the Vortex doesn't go down, I will be happy.

4. Feb 11, 2018 #4
    John2018

John2018 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am on my second plate. The plate is made of soft metal (I think aluminum), I stripped the screw holes in the plate trying to tighten down my Vortex Venom. On the second plate I didn't tighten down as much (used Loctite red). At about 800 rounds, the plate with attached Vortex flew off the slide into my face. Only the one screw mounts the plate to the pistol, and with the Vortex mounted on it, can't check if it is loose without removing the red dot. Not too happy with it, cost $110 for the two plates. Now I check during firing to see if the whole setup is loose. Thinking back on it, I thought that the red dot was not holding zero, the plate was loose.

5. May 31, 2018 #5
    toddm

toddm XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Not a XD and a bit of a necrothread but I can second the Springer plate stripping very easy. I just installed a Springer place on my X-five for a Leupold DPP. The Springer place doesn't really come with any instructions that mention screw torque, it only says not to use the factory hardware, use the hardware that came with the plate. Had no issues with the screws to the slide, but for the optic there were no torque recommendations from Springer. The Leupold manual said 25 in/lbs so I set my torque wrench to 20 to error on the light side and I didn't fully strip it but I could feel one of the screws get to the point where it just got really tight and let up a bit and I still never clicked the torque wrench.

Looked around their site and the only thing I found was a FAQ on mounts saying the XD version the screw is rated for a max of 16.1 in/lb but nothing about any of their other mounts in the FAQ or on the various mount pages. Probably should have realized it would not take 20-25 in/lbs being aluminum but they really should include a torque recommendation if it can't handle what the optics are suggesting, which commonly seems to be 20-25 in/lbs.

The Springer optic screws are smaller than the factory Leupold mounting screws and their tapered shoulder does not fit very well into the optic body, so if it won't hold I may attempt to tap them for the size of the factory screws. In reality it was just allowing me to see how I'd like it, the DPP can be modified slightly and fit the X-five without a plate, just didn't want to do it before I was sure I'd like it, hopefully it holds long enough to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aug 27, 2019 #6
    deittrick

deittrick XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the screw that holds the mount to the gun is to small. i was shooting a uspsa stage the screw busted and hit me in the face would like to know how to but a bigger screw in the slide.and would recommend that they ad another screw to the mounting.

7. May 22, 2020 #7
    mstuhr

mstuhr XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I second the motion to add another screw.
    I am having trouble with mine staying tight. I have another coming to mount a different optic. When it gets here I plan to bed it with JB weld and add possibly two more screws.
    Springer can't hardly do it, as the slide will need drilled and tapped to add screws.
    I did the install, I cleaned my screws and holes with acetone and used blue loctite on the threads and mating surfaces of the block.I tapped it down snug with a wooden mallet. I set it at 16 " pounds and at the 75 round mark I noticed some wiggle. I took it apart, cleaned everything again and loc tited it and it started loosening at around the 50 round mark. I am putting all the torque I care to put on the one screw.. Both times I let it set up 18-20 hours.
    It can be made work. You might get one with the magic fit, but mine seems to fit just fine.
    There is little to no meat on the slide but I think a guy can get two screws behind and to the sides of the factory hole. A triangle pattern, and I think it will work.