Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one of these for my 300BLK, but the Super BDC reticle is calibrated to 115gr Remington UMC ammo... I don't have any of this ammo and was going to have to purchase some reloaded 147-150gr ammo due to the non-availability of the UMC stuff...

Has anyone tried using this scope with other super ammo in the heavier bullets and what were your findings? Do the BDC markings become useless beyond the zeroed distance?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Big., The great thing about the P-300 BLK is that you can use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program and dial in whatever type of ammo you are shooting. I have used mine in subsonic, suppressed with aded Night vision and loved it. Granted, nothing past 100 yards but in the supersonic suppressed mode I have 1000's of rounds under my scope. Very clear and rugged. Make sure you use Spot On to dial in your ammo and scope. Drop me a note if you have any question's.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
and now you know why ballistic reticles suck.

to use spot on, you should know two things:

1. the speed at which your bullet travels at the muzzle
2. the BC of the bullet at that speed.

the first one can be had for another $100 in the form of a chronograph. Good luck getting info on the BC of the bullet a manufacture uses in commercial ammo. at least FGGM you know it's a Sierra Match King... but do they even make GMM in 300 STOLEIT?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you check out this screen shot you'll see the BC plain as day. Knight, You are correct that getting an accurate chrono. reding is very important. Yes, not always easy to do but it absolutely helps with accuracy. I have found with .223's that out of a 16in. AR the MV is often 8-10% less then stated MV.
Obviously not everyone is going to like the BDC reticle, that's fine. But if you haven't tried Nikon's Spot On Program I don't think you can say it sucks.

Here's what you would see at Nikon's SPot On site. As I said, I have found these numbers to be very accurate.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I have looked at it as it is one of the free ballistic calculators in the app stores, and for short range purposes it'll get it close enough. but it does not take angle into consideration nor the change in BC as the bullet slows down. Besides, shouldn't a BT projectile such as the Remington OTM be calculated in G7 rather than G1 (a BC of .7 is G1 data, no question about it). At 850 yards the difference between 0* and 3* in Mk262Mod0 is >1.5 MIL. That's roughly 46 inches at the target (4 ft is either a CNS hit or a MTC [Male Thought Center] hit, or well off target for competition). Most people couldn't differentiate between 0* and 3* but that's just how important angle to target is. Target ranging is also a feature that is sorely missed, but honestly it's not possible in a ballistic reticle as the subtentions are not uniform. that's more a gripe about ballistic reticles than the SpotOn program, but it's still a much needed tool.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
While people have started shooting the 300 BLKOUT further, 850 yards doesn't really belong in an analogy to this cartridge.

25 yards to 500 yards, ideally, sub 400 yards. I understand your comment on BDC's and the Spot On software, however, I've used the P-300 on suppressed and un-suppressed shooting everything I can get my hands on in both factory loads and what CMMG reloads at their facility where I ran them.

Fact is with that scope and the intended purpose of most 300 BLKOUT shooters, that specific BDC works well. It was fun as hell for me. used the Spot On software, matched my loads, and it was accurate. Am I expecting 1/4 moa out of a gas gun with the purpose of close quarter engagements? Hell no. Holdovers put me on 4'' plates every time with that setup however.

For a $200 retail scope with an intended use of sub 500 yards...yep, works damn good.

Trevor B.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Check out this Blog I wrote a while back about a Nikon SpotOn shooting event. I think I reference the P-300 scope and talk more about my overall experience running the Nikon BDC reticle.

Chase B.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
While people have started shooting the 300 BLKOUT further, 850 yards doesn't really belong in an analogy to this cartridge.

25 yards to 500 yards, ideally, sub 400 yards. I understand your comment on BDC's and the Spot On software, however, I've used the P-300 on suppressed and un-suppressed shooting everything I can get my hands on in both factory loads and what CMMG reloads at their facility where I ran them.

Fact is with that scope and the intended purpose of most 300 BLKOUT shooters, that specific BDC works well. It was fun as hell for me. used the Spot On software, matched my loads, and it was accurate. Am I expecting 1/4 moa out of a gas gun with the purpose of close quarter engagements? Hell no. Holdovers put me on 4'' plates every time with that setup however.

For a $200 retail scope with an intended use of sub 500 yards...yep, works damn good.

Trevor B.
The analogy wasn't in reference to the cartridge but instead overall trajectory variances from angle to target that the program does not account for. if you were to close that distance up by half, you're still talking about 22 inches. again that gripe was with the software's deficiencies, not the reticle. The reticle, as i've outlined, has it's own problems for the average plinker.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The analogy wasn't in reference to the cartridge but instead overall trajectory variances from angle to target that the program does not account for. if you were to close that distance up by half, you're still talking about 22 inches. again that gripe was with the software's deficiencies, not the reticle. The reticle, as i've outlined, has it's own problems for the average plinker.

You make a valid point if someone is shooting at extreme angles. However, the average plinker, usually isn't.

As I've said. I've used this scope, with a variety of gas gun configurations and a variety of 300 BLKOUT ammo, from 25 yards out to 300. All my experience with it, few thousand rounds, was that the software worked very well in matching this specific reticle for my shooting. Plinking pie plates to silhouettes, I was happy.

Again, for a $200 scope, its a nice setup. Not arguing concentricity here, just a good shooting and plinking setup.

Trevor B.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Right, well there's always a solution from Horus.

Also, a program like Spot-On is meant to get you in the ballpark. There's no way to get a perfect ballistic match with all the differences between rifles and ammo. I'd love to test out your claim, though.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Right, well there's always a solution from Horus.

Also, a program like Spot-On is meant to get you in the ballpark. There's no way to get a perfect ballistic match with all the differences between rifles and ammo. I'd love to test out your claim, though.
well like i said, it's a big drop at long range. I kept doing calculations at the 850 yard mark at 0* and i was always 1.5 MILs low, like i wasn't actually at 850. when i redid the calculations for 3* of up-slope i needed 9.5 MILs of elevation instead of 8 (from a 290 yard zero) sure enough, i put one round down range and it (lightly) rang the gong.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
But you're demonstrating the most important piece of equipment a rifleman should have - understanding his equipment and its capabilities.

A neophyte like myself would just flail about forever before giving up, swearing at my cheap scope and rifle. Oh yeah, and that dang no good ammo, too! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
But you're demonstrating the most important piece of equipment a rifleman should have - understanding his equipment and its capabilities.
exactly, but a ballistic program really should incorporate slope into it's trajectory. That's all i'm saying. BDCs get you close, and close is usually good enough, but they really limit you to what you can do with it to just shooting at a known range. either you know it, or you're guessing... you can't calculate.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! Thanks for the lively discussion about how to use the P300 (or any Nikon scope with a BDC reticle for that matter). I had looked into this configuration when the BDC was first introduced, but I totally forgot that Nikon had the Spot-On ballistics program... Thanks for the reminder. Now I can't wait to get my scope delivered so I can make plans to take it out to zero... Thanks for the helpful info everyone... Maybe one day I'll be able to know what 3* means when someone talks about it.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Spot On can absolutely adjust for firing angle, just one more piece to making more accurate shots. I was with the OP guy's 5 years ago when they,myself and 16 other's shot 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 627 yards using Spot On and the BDC reticle. If I can do that I'm a pretty happy camper. Would I take a shot on a deer at that range? Depends on condition's. 2 years ago I dropped a KS doe at 586 yards with a .300 Win,one shot stop. Knowing your rifle,ammo and your capabilities are what it's all about. The P-300 BLK get's the job done and it's a great price. Heck, still on PROMO for 2 more days.

100 yards, PNW .300 BO 125 gr. NBT

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's got my trigger finger itching to get to the firing range... Thanks Bart!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Spot On can absolutely adjust for firing angle[/IMG]
I dont remember seeing an option to input or gather angle to target info, and is why i went with Strelok Pro at the time. I just took a look at the online version though, and it's there under atmospheric conditions. i also see it's at v 1.4.5 in the android app store... it's been 2 years or so. I know a lot of the updates are different cartridges and reticles, but i deff. recall it not being there when i looked.

or was it another program? i remember it being free... Spot on fetches $5... hmmm...

well anyway, there you have it then. it can at least adjust for angle. Strelok can do it using the xy sensors in the phone and the camera (even overlays a mildot reticle hehe). alls i got left is the balistic reticle gripe and that's not even that substantial.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts