Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife confiscated my XD9SC as her carry gun about a year ago. I turned it over to her and didn't shoot it for quite a while.

Recently I got it from her safe and gave it a good cleaning. Afterwards I did a function check and the trigger feels like a wet sponge.

My main carry gun for the last year was a Sig P229 Elite with the SRT. I recently purchased a Glock 23 and have been shooting it quite a bit. The Glock and Sig both have a very discernable trigger break and are very easy to stage the trigger while firing.

The XD trigger has no discernable break and almost seems to break in a different place with each pull. No stacking or anything but there is almost no way of knowing when it will break during the pull.

Does anyone know of a trigger job that can be done to make it better? Not lighter but with a better break?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine wasn't mushy in the least. It was smooth with a clearly defined break, it just had a lot of pretravel. Some have complained of the same problem though. Either of the trigger kits available for the XD should help resolve the issue.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Compared to my Tanfoglio 10mm or KIDD trigger equipped 22 ... All other triggers suck.

Compared to my P3-AT, all other triggers are great ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
As mushy as a fat maggot in a rotten tomato.

Vivid. My middle name.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Mine has gotten better with use. Lot's of people hate the XD trigger. But a lot of us like the trigger.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
I rather thought my ex-XDm had a break as crisp as a bowl of lukewarm oatmeal.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I actually like the XD's trigger better than the Glock, and a hell of a lot more than my little .38 snubbie revolver. I find my break to be pretty consistently located, but truth be told I don't like knowing exactly where it's going to break every single time.

Let me clarify that: I don't like knowing my trigger break down to the millimeter, because it encourages bracing even on the subconscious level. I much prefer doing a proper, direct, rearward squeeze and allowing the shot to happen in its own time. When that trigger pull only lasts a fraction of a second, timing the shot within that period is more than sufficient for my shooting needs.

I also find the take-up and release periods to be pretty clearly defined as well. That is, the take-up (when the internal safety is being moved out of the way) and the release (when the sear is dragging towards the edge of the striker release plate) are two very separate feelings for me. I have little trouble knowing where I am in the trigger pull, and wouldn't call it "mushy". I would call it "lengthy", but a PRP kit would help with that too.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Mine wasn't mushy in the least. It was smooth with a clearly defined break, it just had a lot of pretravel. Some have complained of the same problem though. Either of the trigger kits available for the XD should help resolve the issue.

I feel the same way. There is alot of oatmeal smush in there but once you hit the end of the travel (on mine) it has a clean break that is more defined than any Glock I have ever owned. And I am a full on Glock fan brothers!

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
You can always get a PRP trigger kit and it will make it a lot better. But it still won't be as good as dialed in 1911.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The surfaces on the sear and striker pin have to be square, and for anything that resembles crisp, the edges of the contact surfaces need attention. The sharper and smoother the mating edges, the more crisp it will feel.

There are also ways to remove most pre-travel and creep, as well as overtravel. If you are willing to do the work, the trigger can be made more than acceptable.

The easiest way to fix the above mentioned issues is to order the Sear and Trigger arm from Springer. I stoned my own, and the results are great. The trigger arm from springer helps fix two critical issues:

Pre-travel, and overtravel.

The springer sear breaks earlier during the trigger pull because the sear has less contact surface with the striker surface before it allows the striker to go forward.

Done properly, you can make your factory sear do the same..but not without common sense and diligence.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Shoot it more.

I thought so too at first, but further use either smoothed out some rough edges or did something else magical to the internals. It is now quite respectable in comparison to other guns.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Mine has a consistent, discernible and clean break-point/break. No mush feeling. That being said I do know that when a Glock breaks I hear a more "mechanical" click. I think this leads some to believe the break/trigger is somehow more precise or crisp. I am in no way an expert. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
All I know is mine goes bang every time and I can shoot rapid fire no problem with the stock trigger.

Bottom line is. Does it work for you or not. I think that pretty much sums it up.

I had an XDM with a trigger job and then bought a stock XD Service. I kept the stock XD Service.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shoot it more.

I thought so too at first, but further use either smoothed out some rough edges or did something else magical to the internals. It is now quite respectable in comparison to other guns.

It has at least 2000K rounds through it. I don't think it will get any more crisp with use........If anything it will probably get worse.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I do. But that is why the first thing I do to all of my XDs, before shot-one is to do the triggers. I also find the M&P triggers to be very mushy but they are no less a decent gun. With proper trigger control, any trigger is good enough to hit the target.

OS

1 - 20 of 40 Posts