Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start attending some IDPA matches with the West Houston IDPA.

I have a bone stock XDM 45 and everything that comes in the case (got it last Saturday). Still only have two clips.

What should I get before I go to my first shoot with IDPA?

Also, any insight is always appreciated.

TIA

Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
You can get by with the XD mag pouch and holster for now. You will need three mags; two loaded to 8 and one with 9 (8 in the mag and 1 chambered) for most stages. I think it best to shoot with what you have and after a few matches you will get an idea of what you "need" or want. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When you go, you will discover that you are scored in a different class of gun than Glock to your disadvantage. Still a good idea as a learning experience. Later if you really enjoy IDPA and want to compete more, you may get a Glock 17 or 19.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I occasionally shoot IDPA with my XD-45. Go the the IDPA website, download the rule book, and READ it. People with XD's shoot in the ESP or CDP divisions. I shoot ESP. You will need a minimum of 3 magazines, and more is better. You will never use more than 3 mags in any given stage, but more mags means more flexibility in when you have to "top off" mags in-between stages.

BE SURE TO BRING WATER TO DRINK!

Relax, have fun, enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow I need to bring headphones to work so I can watch those !!!

thanks for the link br0ck!

My plan was to show up to a match, find someone with a staff shirt or badge and them him tell me where to stand :D

I have been reading the IDPA rule book BTW, and its very informative.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I first started shooting IDPA a few years back. I used me XD 45 for a good year. It was fun but then I switched to the XDM 9. The XDM 9 was upgraded with Pistol Gear's Patriot Magwell, slide stop, Dons stainless Guide Rod, PRP Ultimate trigger kit, and Dawson Precision fiber optic sights. I like it alot. If I get new sights on the XD 45 I will use it again.

You will need another mag atleast 3 and you will be good. The only advice I go out shoot and have fun!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The regulars and range officers will go out of their way to help you. All you need to do is tell them this is your 1st time and they will help you along. Ask as many questions as you need. Pay attention to the other shooters to see what they are doing. After a shooter finishes grab some pasters and help paste targets to set up for the next shooter. This does 2 things: it shows you are there to help and participate and also gives you an idea of the stage and all of the targets. Have fun and be safe.

The idpa website also gives plenty of information, so that's a great starting point. The reason that XD's and XDm's are classified in the ESP division is because of the way the striker fires in the pistol. It's different than the Glock pistols which are in SSP division. It's considered a disadvantage to new shooters because usually the better shooters with their slightly modified pistols shoot in ESP. But at this point don't see it as a competition where you have to go beat everyone out there. It's like Golf, if you play, you don't play against other people. You play the course. You have to figure out the best way to navigate the course and have a good score.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like great advice! Thanks Guys

Why will I be scored at a disadvantage compared to a Glock?
You are shooting in ESP not SSP with your XDm. With a Glock you can shoot either division but your stock XDM is ESP. The reasons for that are answered in your rule book and elsewhere on this forum and many other forums as well. You could also shoot in the CDP division as well if you desire. That is where you will be limited to 7 rounds instead of ten as you must conform to the rules for that division. The only disadvantage is you shooting a 45 instead of a 9mm like most of the other competitors in ESP. I have seen people shoot a 45 using full power ammo put 9mm's to shame with their speed and accuracy so it only is a matter of practice if you want to do well. Generally the 9mm times will be faster but since you are new at this dont expect to be the fastest guy there, relax and have fun!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to post about my first IDPA experience. I am going to the ranch this weekend and will get a few hundred rounds through my XDM. Im so excited to shoot it.

HLF

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I must shoot ESP are there any mods I should consider to try to level the playing field with other guns in ESP?

I wont do them off the bat but I would like to be aware of them.

Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you are using the 45 you will be shooting CDP and only 8 rds in your 2 spare mags and 9 in your starting mag. If you shoot 9mm then you will be shooting ESP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rule book makes it sound like I can shoot either or with a 45.

What is meant by "internal reliability work" is allowed in CDP and ESP modifications?

thanks

kyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.