Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Midwest Industries AK Mini Dot Mount Aimpoint T1 MI-AKMDM-T1

I have resisted this for a long time, but the fact is that my eyes are getting old and I really need some "assistance" on my AK's stock sight system.

I noticed that Primary Arms is selling this Midwest Industries mount and it looks to be pretty nice, but I don't know anyone that is running one.

The real benefit to this mount, seems to be that you can not only get to the receiver cover, but also get the gas tube off easily, for cleaning. Many of the gas tube, fore end rail systems (US Palm) are NOT easy to get at the gas tube for cleaning.

Anyone out there running one of these?

I actually have their PA Micro Red Dot on my daughter's 10-22, so I know the sight is great...but no experience with the mount.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated. A drive to Primary Arms is not THAT far away and I might stop by and see it some day, unless the verdict is to stay away from the thing.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

- brickboy240

PS: my AK does not have a side rail, so that is not an option for mounting an optic.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems pretty solid, according to those guys.

I am running that Micro Red dot on my daughter's 10-22 and it is a very nice sight. If she cannot tear it up...its pretty tough! LOL

I might take a trip to Primary Arms and look at the set up. I called them and they said there is an AK in their shop that has this set-up and I can come by and see it in person.

I was already set on replacing my Crapco plastic butt-stock with an M4 styled adjustable unit with the Magpul MOE unit form those guys. Primary Arms sells the parts for that, too.

This is probably all I am going to do to my AK...I still want to keep it very simple.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I also put an AR stock adapter and magpul buttstock on mine.

I know, it makes some people cringe, but it's mine, I like it, I paid for it, it works for me.

I too have looked at that Primary arms rear leaf sight/mini dot. I want one, but not enough $$ to go around right now.

I am also considering maybe a tritium front sight instead.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I also put an AR stock adapter and magpul buttstock on mine.

I know, it makes some people cringe, but it's mine, I like it, I paid for it, it works for me.

I too have looked at that Primary arms rear leaf sight/mini dot. I want one, but not enough $$ to go around right now.

I am also considering maybe a tritium front sight instead.
Do whatever you like, and F everyone else. :twisted:

I did my S12 with VLTOR tube and Emod & my S762 with CAA tube and Magpul MOE.

·
Premium Member
28,486 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just got mine and installed today on my Draco-C.
I will try it out over the weekend and will post back some results

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Does this have any wiggle or bounce up/down when you shoot? Does it lift up just like a standard rear sight?

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is a very very brief review of the Midwest AK micro dot mount and PA micro reflex

Weapon: Draco – C 7.62x39, 11.5 inch barrel
Zeroed distance: 25 yards shooting bench rest

At first glance the mount looks pretty tough and well made and good finish and heavy duty.

The install was relative easy, except for the removal of the rear sight (especially if you are like me, an average Joe that does not have any firearms tools, vise, etc)

After putting the whole thing together you adjust the height, elevation and windage you desire. I would NOT recommend putting any loctite unless you zero your sight first (the MI mount has a little notch that can be used as a regular rear sight).

At the range:
It took me awhile to zero the sight since my Draco sight sucks and it’s canted and I never took the time to zero it correctly. After about 30rds the windage screw got loose and had to re tight it. But at the end I had the sight all zeroed in. You really have to play with its screws to zero it where you want it

Conclusions:
I really loved the mount and for those who are wondering, it does NOT jump up and down while shooting, it is really tight and you can use the screws on each side of the sight to tighten even more. To remove the top cover, just loosen up those mentioned screws (if you had them tight) and lift the sight.

PA reflex:
For the price it’s all good, but I’m not too happy with its cheap windage/elevation screws, they are really loose to the point that I could use my nail to adjust them, and makes me worried that it will not hold zero after 100+rds, I guess I will find out later after more shooting.
I’m sorry if this review is too vague for you, I not a good reviewer and did this in 3mins.

This is the best target after zeroed (it might need a little more adjusting)

My .02cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts