·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any reload data.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You won't. When loading off the books, you need to match the components as closely as possible w/ the book. SO bullet shape & wt should be as close to the book as possible. If you are totally off that, then you can only start at book starting loads for that wt bullet & work it up slowly watching for any pressure signs.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to find a close match to start with. If anyone out there has loaded 180 gr zeros in 40 s&w, feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I need to find a close match to start with. If anyone out there has loaded 180 gr zeros in 40 s&w, feel free to chime in.
Fortunately the 40 was designed w/ the truncated cone shape in mind from the start. So most bullets are that shape. The Zero looks a lot like most, close to the XTP. SO load a dummy round up, check it in your bbl to see if it chambers @ the OAL in the Hornady manual & that should get you close enough to use midrange data. Clown out.;)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some HP38 that I use to load XTPs (5 gr) at a COAL of 1.125. I think the XTP is a little longer than the zero so I assume that would change the powder load. I can't find any data for 180 gr fmj for either of the powders I have (unique and HP38). I guess I'll be buying more powder.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have some HP38 that I use to load XTPs (5 gr) at a COAL of 1.125. I think the XTP is a little longer than the zero so I assume that would change the powder load. I can't find any data for 180 gr fmj for either of the powders I have (unique and HP38). I guess I'll be buying more powder.
You can use the W231 for FMJ. Yes, there is a slight diff in length, just work the load up using starting JHP or XTP data. Approach the top end w/ caution, watch for pressure signs. If you sare only trying to get to midrange levels, there won't be much diff between the JHP & FMJ. WHere it starts getting ugly w/ the 9mm & 40 is when you get near the top end, especially w/ faster powders than Unique.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts