Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two range sessions with my new XD subcompact have convinced me that it shoots left of the intended POI by 4-5 inches even at close distances 7-10 yards. I shot from a rest and asked other shooters to try it and no one under any condition could make it shoot to the point of aim. In looking at the gun the rear sight appears to be installed well to right of center. I have two other XDs to compare to and neither looks like this.

I assume I need to push the rear sight to right a bit. Has anyone done this? Is there an XD sight pusher? SA will take it back as a warranty repair but if I can do it without scaring up the gun I'd like to do it and be done with it rather shipping it and then waiting weeks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good luck!!! Most XD sights are seemingly welded in place. Kind of takes away that drift adjustable option. The gunsmith who changed mine actually had to ruin the factory sights just to remove them. I'm not the only one with this claim either. A good Smith should be able to adjust it for you...unless they are as tight as mine. I've pesonally watched guys destroy punches trying to wack them out with a hammer...all with no luck.
Might well be a good time to install nightsights, since you are going to have to go to the trouble and all!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
they are probably pressed in. hitting it one hit at a time doesnt even come close to pressing it.

if its in there tight, try pressing it over with a press or a vice.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the same problem. There are two lines on the slide on both sides of the rear sight that I suppose are for setting the rear sight in production. I can see that my rear sight is on top of the left line, but the right is completely visible, which justifies it shooting too far to the left. I'm going to see what I can do about it tonight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beetlebailey said:
I've got the same problem. There are two lines on the slide on both sides of the rear sight that I suppose are for setting the rear sight in production. I can see that my rear sight is on top of the left line, but the right is completely visible, which justifies it shooting too far to the left. I'm going to see what I can do about it tonight.
Exactly! On my other two XDs the rear sight is centered betwen those two score marks on the slide. On the subcompact, the rear sight is covers the left one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
1 - I used a thin (1/8") thick sheet of hard rubber in a vice to hold the slide. The slide has to be very firmly gripped by the vice, or you won't budge the sight.

2 - Put the slide in a zip-lock bag and place it in the freezer for 30 minutes minimum.

3 - Get the biggest hammer you have.

4 - Use a dowel or punch on the side of the sight. I used a hard alumninum rod about 3/8" in diameter. Steel would be better. Soft metal may not handle the load of the hammer. You will have to hit it hard maybe 20 or more times. During this phase you will probably discover that what you believed was tight in the vice - really wasn't. I probably tightened my vice more than five times.

None of my other sights were as tight as the XD sights because I always filed some off the sides before inserting.

- Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
MinkFeet said:
Exactly! On my other two XDs the rear sight is centered betwen those two score marks on the slide. On the subcompact, the rear sight is covers the left one.
I've read the sight threads for awhile. I don't really understand the freezer idea. Cold causes things to contract. The perfect solution would be to be able to heat the slide and cool the sight.

My XD40 SC's rear sight was towards the right mark and the gun shot slightly right. I just got done moving the rear sight slightly to the left. I heated the slide with a heat gun, used a small punch and a medium hammer and moved the sight .01" left. It only took a few wacks with the hammer. I felt like the sight moved fairly easily when compared to some of the stories I've read here.

I tried making some shields out of scrap aluminum to shield the slide and sprayed compressed air on the sight. I can't say whether it helped or not as I ran out of canned air. I thought if I could cool the sight while the slide was hot the sight would move even easier.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to shoot tommorrow and see if point of impact changed left enough.

WyoBob

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I haven't had to regulate the windage on any of ours, but I have "adjusted" plenty of dove-tailed "fixed" pistol sights in my time. I can't imagine that the XD's sights are any tougher than some of the others I have tackled. I had a couple of Beretta Centurions that needed a bit of right windage, and I swear they must press those damn sights in with a pile driver. To further complicate matters, the Beretta slide has a very small flat on the side of it.

Here's what I finally did, and I'd use this method on an XD if the need arose. I made an 3"x6" rectangular, 1" thick oak "bench block" and drilled a 3/4" hole about halfway through it. This gives me something I can put the (removed) slide on, bear down on it, and really control it.

For a punch, I too a 60-penny spike, and ground the point off flat, and then smoothed the contact surface up with a stone. I start with a small machinist's hammer, and progress up through a three-pounder if that's what it takes. I've got several big tool-steel punches if the hammer gets bigger than 20 oz.

No sight has ever withstood this arrangement. My theory? Hit the damn things with a hammer, and if that don't work, get a bigger hammer. Stuff like this is why cold blue was invented.

PS- Be real careful about squeezing any auto-pistol slide in a vise. Many a good GI 1911 slide has been ruined in just this manner.

·
Registered
245 Posts
invssgt said:
PS- Be real careful about squeezing any auto-pistol slide in a vise. Many a good GI 1911 slide has been ruined in just this manner.
Hmmm - Maybe that's why my XD slide fits so well :)

But, seriously, I was concerned about the same thing. I would've never worked up the courage to put my slide in a vice if so many others didn't already try it. That XD slide is really tough. My vice was very tight.

Still, I like your solution better. Is it possible to show us with a picture? Very interested.

- Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts