Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple DH metal magazines with the magpul followers, and I just cannot get into them. I would much rather have the pmags with me. I know the standard GI mags are proven enough times over but is it safe to say that pmags are just as reliable and proven?

Would you take pmags to war?

Pmags

-easier on my fingers
-easy to break down and clean
-dust cap is always a plus
-solid and can take abuse
-anti tilt follower

what is not to love?

I will still keep the DH for shtf as back ups though

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I only have pmags anymore for both 5.56 and 7.62

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have 5 pmags that I bought when I first got my AR. I like them, but the C-products alum. & stainless mags work perfectly for me too. I have about 25 of those.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I buy steel mags used for $5 a piece at my local pawn shop so I tend to stock up on those. I do however have 2 Pmags which I use at the range when I go. The steelies are there for that shtf moment when I may need a lot of rounds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know the standard GI mags are proven enough times over but is it safe to say that pmags are just as reliable and proven?

Would you take pmags to war?
I hear it is rumored that the PMAGS are so reliable and tough that they might be the standard issue mag for the US Army. I have 25 of them and would not buy anything but PMAGS. But then ... what do I know, I'm just a 250LB gorilla that slept in a Holiday Inn last night. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
PMags all day long here, they were recommended when I finished my AR so I'm sticking with them!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have mostly C-products metal mags. I have never had an issue with them. I get them from a local shop for 7.50. They get dropped in the dirt during matches all the time and have never been cleaned. I have never had a failure due to mags. I dont see the need to spend 2 to 3x more for the P-mags.

·
Registered
793 Posts
All of my mags are PMags. Had a hiccup in the first two mags I fired. The rifle was brand new too, so I just attributed the double feeds as a little bit of a break in issue. Since then, nothing wrong with them. I have also looked at the Troy Battle Mags, and these.
Lancer Systems L5 AWM 30rd .223/5.56 Magazine Smoke

Just seemed interesting, metal feed lips, and smoke colored so you can see your rounds.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My AR doesn't drop PMags so it's bulk, cheap, used GI mags with Magpul followers for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I use PMAGs and aluminum magazines with Magpul followers. I like the PMAGs, but I prefer the aluminum magazines w/ enhanced followers. I prefer the aluminum magazines because:

-They feed reliably.
-They are lighter weight.
-The smooth body allows me to move them in and out of bags and pouches easier.

For bench work, I like the 20-rd curved aluminum magazines fitted with Magpul followers. I have 20-rd PMAGs, too, but they don't play as nicely with my rifles as the aluminum ones do.

Again, I like the PMAGs and I'll continue to use the ones I have. If I feel the need to acquire more magazines, I'll probably get more aluminum ones w/ enhanced followers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Does pmag. Make a 15 round or less?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Does pmag. Make a 15 round or less?
Magpul sells a limiter that fits in their 20 round mags that essentially turns them into low caps.

Edit to add: I don't think they will be accepted as permanent by your state's laws though.

-------------------------
As to which mag type I prefer to use, I don't have a preference. Although my meager assortment of metal mags does outnumber Pmags 3 to 1.

I suppose if I had to just pick 1 type of magazine, it would be stainless steel with teflon coating and magpul anti-tilt followers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have 11 Pmags and 10 GI mags and all hold 30 rounds and work 100%. The Pmags are easier to load by far and dont scratch up the brass. My GI mags have magpul followers and work great. I guess I do prefer the Pmag, though.

-Tim

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I use PMags mostly, and all my metal mags have magpul followers. Last deployment we were issued PMags to use instead of the issued metal mags.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have 40 pmags and only one aluminum one but at work during training I use standard issue mags that have probably been used for years of abuse and other than a double feed here and there they are fine. Hopefully once I hit the fleet though I get issued new mags!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts