Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they are neat as hell and may be good for some medium range varmint hunter. Anyone own/hunt with one I'd would like some real world info on them.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think they are neat. I thought about actually building one. I would like to know from those that have actual experience on how well they do and what parts wear out quicker.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I don't have an AR pistol, however I do have an AR15 (SBR) with an 8 1/2" barrel on it, so I can still probably answer some of your questions. I have owned it for 4 years, and no breakages.

Contrary to a lot of popular belief, they do not have to be excessively more prone to wear or breakage than any other AR15, IF they're built right.

And to be honest, on barrels shorter than 10.5 inches, they have less dwell time than a carbine length gas system, which is good because the gas is hotter.

But like I have said, I have not had to replace any parts so far. This includes the gas tube and extractor, which some folks claim to have to replace at earlier intervals.

The main thing you may need to consider is the distance you're going to be shooting because shorter barrels do not have as much bullet velocity, which really shows at extended distances. Up close, you probably won't be able to tell the difference, as this video shows if you watch and listen to it.

I hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Is yours piston driven or gas impingement?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Direct impingement

The only piston rig I own is the STG2000

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I got one, built it about 2 years ago before I built my SBR. The pistol has a 7.5" barrel, I havent shot it yet - its on my to do list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts