Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying this setup, though I am curious about the upper hand guard. I have only one question about it, and I'm hoping someone out there can answer it: Does the picatinny rail interfere with the iron sights?

I'm leaning towards the Tapco Galil handguard at the moment, but I'm liking the collapsible feature of the ATI package. The AK I have on layaway comes with the Tapco side-folder, though I've heard some bad things about it. I guess my reasoning comes down to this: If I'm going to spend $35 + S&H on the Tapco Galil handguard and I decide later on down the line that I'm unhappy with the Tapco folding buttstock, wouldn't I be ahead of the game if I just bought the ATI Strikeforce package to begin with? It's an extra $55, but the biggest deciding factor at this point is whether the ATI handguard interferes with the iron sights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Galil handguard doesn't have a rail mount on the bottom if you want to put a front grip on it later. I ordered the Tapco rail mount kit for the Galil handguard that came w/ my IO Ak-47 and still haven't had time to put it on. Just keep that in mind. Also, some people don't like the look of the Galil so look for the thread on the IO Ak-47's for pictures of my ak-47 to see if you'll like the Galil.

The ATi Strikeforce package might be a better deal since I believe it has the rails on top and the bottom so you can mount an aimpoint or eotech and the front grip as well.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ak-47-talk/88946-inter-ordnance-ak-47-a.html

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I don't believe the tapco galil style hand gaurd has the heat sheild either and I've seen people post that they get loose pretty quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact same question as the original poster of this thread!!! I even sent a question to ATI recently but have not heard a response back yet.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Neither set is worth a damn, in my opinion. The Tapco folder is a joke, weak and wobbly and way too much drop on the comb. The ATI set has a crazy, supermassive stock that is bulky and heavy and looks terrible.

I've got a TDI/CAA handguard set on one of my AKs, and the rail is recessed to let you use the iron sights but there's not much clearance and honestly they hurt your speed of acquisition. I left the upper handguard off for a while just for that reason, but I need to break down and just drop the $100 on an aweosme K-Var stock set and be done with it.

Sorry I don't know specifically about the ATI set but I would imagine it's very similar to the CAA set. Their pistol grips are almost identical.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've actually decided not to bother with the Strikeforce package. I'm going with a Maadi style synthetic handguard (made by ATI, but doesn't look half-bad) and a decent ergonomic grip. I plan on an upgrade on the buttstock if I start to have problems with the Tapco folder that it comes with. I will probably go with the AR type adapter and a good quality AR collapsible buttstock.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I've actually decided not to bother with the Strikeforce package. I'm going with a Maadi style synthetic handguard (made by ATI, but doesn't look half-bad) and a decent ergonomic grip. I plan on an upgrade on the buttstock if I start to have problems with the Tapco folder that it comes with. I will probably go with the AR type adapter and a good quality AR collapsible buttstock.
Whats a Maadi style hand guard??

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, no mocking please. I decided to go with this because I like the way it looks, but....... it's made by ATI. Now I know some guys don't care for ATI products, and they are known for good value more than high quality, but I really like the look of this handguard, and I couldn't pass up the price. The Maadi style is the identification given by the manufacturer. Here's the retailer's link, can't pass up the $18.49 price!

Advanced Technology (ATI) AK Maadi HandGuard - AK47 AK74 MAC MAADI by Combathunting.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
You'd better find out if it has a heat shield or not. The way the holes/slots are cut, its going to get pretty darn hot for you to hold onto. At least w/ the Galil, the vent holes are up top for better venting. Since I've never fired another kind of AK, I have nothing to compare it too.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Alright, no mocking please. I decided to go with this because I like the way it looks, but....... it's made by ATI. Now I know some guys don't care for ATI products, and they are known for good value more than high quality, but I really like the look of this handguard, and I couldn't pass up the price. The Maadi style is the identification given by the manufacturer. Here's the retailer's link, can't pass up the $18.49 price!

Advanced Technology (ATI) AK Maadi HandGuard - AK47 AK74 MAC MAADI by Combathunting.com
Gotcha, ATI model MAK1600 for AK/MAK90/MAADI...$20.99 from ATI. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
You'd better find out if it has a heat shield or not. The way the holes/slots are cut, its going to get pretty darn hot for you to hold onto. At least w/ the Galil, the vent holes are up top for better venting. Since I've never fired another kind of AK, I have nothing to compare it too.
It doesn't. its all fiber/composite.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not terribly worried about the heat. If I find that it gets too hot, I can either fabricate a heat shield into the handguard, or I will use a vertical grip on the tri-rail that bolts on ahead of the handguard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased one of these. Upon receiving it I notified customer service of two -problems first I did not receive all of the screws and nuts to assemble it. This they rectified right away.
The second issue is that the tail end of the butt wiggles or rotates 1/4 to 1/2 inch. After several emails to their director of sales Scott, I still have to yet to receive a return mailing label and rma.
He said on a couple of occasions that I must have gotten an old tube they are much tighter.. Well nothing was ever replaced except the screws. The tube is not the problem it’s the adjustable butt piece it self it has more play in it than a 65 Chevy steering column. The adjustable stock is crap unless you mount it in a bench rest your not gonna get a solid shooting platform. IT scores high on the tacticool factor but from a shooters perspective stay away! its not worth the money!

They are great at responding to emails especially when they blast their product, but are pretty poor in the action department. I am out 98 bucks!

The rails are junk too BTW. Nothing like a steel or aluminum Picatinny rail. The folder is a joke too it also wiggle a bit, is hard to release, and the stock is heavy!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have one. It's okay. The rails don't interfere with the iron sights. They have groves cut down the center so you can use it.
I'm kind of surprised to find so many people have bad experience with the product. I put my package on, and it works fine. My butt stock doesn't wiggle either, but I took it to work and used our shop's facilities to put it on. Tapco and ATI products seem to be hit or miss. Guess I'm lucky, but then again, I use my AK for fun plinking at the gravel pit, and not for serious purposes.
P.S. It's interesting someone mentioned they didn't get enough screws. My kit came with about 6 extra.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine wiggled a bit too. I had to shave off some material on the front tabs to get the handguard to fit. It fit tight up front, but loose in the back.

The problem was fixed with a little creativity. I took an energy drink can and used it to fabricate an aluminum heat shield inside the handguard. Not only does it help with directing the heat from the barrel upward and keep my hand cool. The other benefit of this is that the handguard fit nice and tight after my low-budget aluminum heat shield.

Again, I did this with the MAADI style handguard, not the ATI Strikeforce handguard. I also have the Strikeforce style pistol grip intalled. Looks and feels nice.

Don't ask for pics, I have this one squirreled away behind the vanity pannel on the door of my safe. My wife can't know about this one for a while. :twisted:

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Kvar stock and handguard sets are really worth the extra money. The only ATI stock I've bought and not gotten rid of is the M4 style one on my Mossberg.

If you want a US made (and therefore 922r compliant) folding stock, put the money into one of the Ace ones, they're by far the best of the non-factory options. ACE LTD. USA

I have their 9.5" folder on my Saiga conversion and it's just perfect, if a little pricey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts