Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to the range for the first time today! Was super fun with my new xdm. Thanks to this forum, I identified the down and to the left problem right away and managed to place a majority of my shots in the black circle at 7 yards.

My question is about the cheap lasers available. I would like to use a laser as a training aide and do not want to drop $150 for one of the nice ones. Has anyone sucessfully used a cheapo laser on their guns?

thanks

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
As always, the following is only MY opinion for what it's worth...

Stay away from cheap lasers unless you're shooting a pellet gun or a .22. The traumatic recoil and slide movement on a 9 mil and higher will cause you to regret going cheap. I bought an NcStar (lesss than $100.00) laser for my GF to use on her 9 mil, and it literallly shattered apart midway through the second magazine. Luckily, the shop where I bought it gave a complete refund without an argument. Some lasers also may not even show up well during daylight outdoors, so they may not do what you intend to your satisfaction, anyway.

If you're looking to improve your sight shooting skills at the range, consider investing in a set of adjustable fiber optic sights instead of a laser. I just had a set installed, and they made an immediate improvement in my own ham fisted skills. PLUS, they won't fall apart or require batteries.

Lasers are very neat additions for home or self defense, since they tell the prospective hollow point recipient exactly where the hole is going to be, and this generally will cause a quick reconsideration of his/her intended actions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
+1 ^^^ on what said above. Remember you get what you pay for. The shop where I bought my XDm9 is now carrying Viridian green laser sights. The green Laser is daytime visible and highly intimidating in low light!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, I was hoping something for $20 would hold up long enough to help in training, not for self defense, but it seems that money would be better off going towards ammo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also picked up an NCStar Laser and NCStar Light ($75 for the pair where the light mounts under the laser and is detachable). After a few shots from my XDM-40 I adjusted the laser, but it would only stay on target for a few shots before needing re-adjustment. The NCStar laser does not have a good fit for the XDM (and is too long). After getting home from the range I tried to re-tighten and it snapped into multiple pieces.

The NCStar laser might be good for practice but not for real life.

BTW, The NCStar light fits great on the XDM (recommended for those who are looking for a cheap tactical light).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
+1 on what has been said. Wasting money on toys is not going to get you anywhere. A "toy" laser that breaks after 20 shots is not going to train you in anything.

The question you always want to ask when considering anything for your firearms is, "Do I really want to trust my life and the lives of my family to the cheapest thing I can find?"

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Best thing to do is get a Boresighter laser "theyre fairly cheap" and do dry fire with it plus it makes for really fast sight in if you ever get some adjustables... I use Dawson Precisions Fiberoptic front, and adjustable black target rear...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also bought a NCSTAR for $19 on ebay. It works great for home dry firing, I use it to practice trigger control. When I go to the range I take it off, and then put it back on for home defense. I figure if it stays put for a couple shots in the dark, it was worth the $19.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I also bought a NCSTAR for $19 on ebay. It works great for home dry firing, I use it to practice trigger control. When I go to the range I take it off, and then put it back on for home defense. I figure if it stays put for a couple shots in the dark, it was worth the $19.
I'll go along with a cheap laser for dry fire / trigger control practice, but why not buy a quality one in the first place?

The "if it stays put" assessment is one that I cannot agree with. The "if" in that statement is just too darn big and can be minimized with quality equipment.

Note that I said minimized. You have to train and drill for situations where you equipment fails you, but I think a person is doing themselves a huge disservice by starting from the position of "I know this thing is, for the most part, an unreliable piece of crap, but it might work." I'm sorry, but I find that to be irresponsible.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have put 2 Lasermax internals into my XD9 with no luck. First one was crap, so Lasermax sent me a replacement, and it is crap also. I have one in my G27 with 1000's of rounds and no issues, but in the XD the thing renders the weapon completely unreliable.

I strongly caution anyone on putting the Lasermax into their XD. If you depend on the XD for your carry and possible defense, you are taking a MAJOR chance that the thing wont work correctly when you need it the most. Yes, they are cool, but not cool enough to make up for rendering you weapon useless.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My main reason for purchase was to practice trigger control. Now my reasoning for part 2: The laser will without a doubt give me a first shot, while my eyes "wake up". Also I read somewhere on this world wide web that stats show in a home defense situation, a person is less likely to have to fire if they are using a laser sight. The reason being: when the criminal sees the red dot on their chest, they are more likely to either flee, or comply. So for now I would rather spend my $$ on practice rounds than a $200 laser sight. Just mt opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also I read somewhere on this world wide web that stats show in a home defense situation, a person is less likely to have to fire if they are using a laser sight. The reason being: when the criminal sees the red dot on their chest, they are more likely to either flee, or comply.
Yes, you read this on the LASERMAX website. Never believe a word from anyone trying to sell you something.

An external laser will give you the "Scare" to the BG you are looking for without screwing up the internal workings of the weapon. Please, do more research before putting anything INSIDE your gun.

Now my thoughts on the "Scare" : Why point a weapon unless your intending to immediately fire?? Sure, the BG may comply, then what? While you have them at gunpoint waiting for the cops to show up, he is thinking a mile a minute on how to 1. Disarm you 2. Attack you (possibly other family) 3. Flee before cops get there (which will require taking your gun). I made this mistake once, and never again. Held intruder at GP for cops to arrive, he lunged at me with a screwdriver. Lucky for me, and my wife behind me, my only shot did the job. I will never "Hold" someone again. If I clear leather, someone's dying. Pure, simple, clean. It's the only reason to pull your weapon. If you want to scare someone, get a baseball bat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I do agree with you, that is you draw and point be prepared to fire. But having never had this happen to me, I really don't know how I would react if the BG complied to the ground or begged for his life. I could always cuff the perp while waiting for police.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do agree with you, that is you draw and point be prepared to fire. But having never had this happen to me, I really don't know how I would react if the BG complied to the ground or begged for his life. I could always cuff the perp while waiting for police.
I have got to agree with DongoNeedFood... BG in my house at night = protect family first and shoot until threat is eliminated and family safe.

I'll save money on cuffs and buy more practice ammo... besides I'd feel really stupid if I ended up in a fight for my weapon or stabbed with a hidden knife (or screwdriver) while I was trying to cuff a BG since I have never trained to cuff a BG.

Besides, I don't want to think about a situation where my wife ends up in a gunfight or standoff with a BG who has taken my gun because I didn't stick to my own home defense plan.

JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I would think training with a laser would be counter-productive. You need to train yourself with sight picture and trigger control. Seems to me using a laser would shift your focus off the front sight and have you looking for that little red dot every time. I'd say save your money and buy some high-visibility sights like TFO's and the like. Just my opinion though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts