Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little off topic for this board but I have to spout a little. I have been reading about this bottom-feeder named Ward Churchill lately all over the web and the news and it is really frustrating. This man has to be insane. Usually I try and turn a deaf ear to the more rabid liberals out there but this guy is just way out of bounds. If anyone knows about this guy, then you probably already have a good idea what I am stewing over but if the name doesn't ring a bell, read up. This Churchill is causing more damage to the fiber of this nation with his mouth than I ever have with any weapon in my posession.

All I have to say is that if the first amendment protects Ward Churchill, the second amendment most definitely protects me and my gun. The gun control peckers should focus a little harder on 'What are my kids learning in college?' control.

Sorry for ranting. Hope you all understand.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I guess my question would be do you live near Boulder?

Please, refer to the place bu its proper name. The official name is:

The Peoples Republik of Boulder, or PROB for short.

I live "near" Boulder. However, I live just across the county line from Boulder County. But unfortunately, 5 days (or more) a week I must venture into PROB. What is even worse is that from my office window I can look out and see the Flatirons and the red-topped building that are a liberal excuse for a university. I will ave you note that I am a Colorado native and NOT, I repeat NOT, a CU graduate. I actually got a degree from a respected univerity in CO that does not offer ANY liberal arts degrees what-so-ever.

The unfortunate thing is that Ward Churchill is not unique in PROB. There are tons of these scummyy, hippie, wannabes around the place. "Save the planet and all the scum of the earth". "Get rid of your gas guzzling SUV" they say while smoking a bong from their Ranger Rover with a "420" sticker on the back.

Here is what PROB is full of: Hypocritical a$$wipes called trust fund babies.

Oh, can you tell that I have the utmost respect for PROB?

Well, there is one thing that gives me pleasure everyday. I get to make my daily (and on a good day twice-daily) deposit to PROB's waste treatment plant. Nothing feels better than leaving a gift for PROB.

-Dana

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana,

I know exactly what you mean, man. I have been to PROB a few times and I must say that I am the opposite of impressed. My dad is from Pueblo and my aunt and uncle live in Colorado Springs and I must say, I love it down there. Maybe even moving down there after college. So by all means, not getting down on folks from CO. Boulder on the other hand just on brief impression needs to fall in to a sink hole. Especially if it is a place where all the little Ward Churchills in training can flourish.

Darkmann

·
Registered
533 Posts
first of all let me say I dont agree with a lot of people in this country, I am going to compare the person this topic is about to a lot of other groups in this country, like the KKK, Pro-life groups, Pro-choice groups, Pro-gay and anti-gay groups... I could go on and on.... but our constitution is a great thing... because of the first amendment, I can say. I LOVE GUNS, and I wont get in trouble.. in the same respect I think that this teacher should not get fired for what he said. he can think and say what ever he wants,
again, I am not saying I agree with any of this, but I do support the first amendment.
I hope I am not pissing any body off by saying this but it is the same document that lets you and I have as many guns as we want that lets him say what he want.
there are people out there that think we are wacky for owning 15 guns, or more for many of you, ... thanks for listening to my opinion

·
Registered
190 Posts
wJake19,
I think you hit it on the head there brother. Churchill is a whacko and nobody should give what he says any serious consideration, but he has a right to say it. I may not like it, and I may want to smack him in his ignorant mouth, but if I don't like him, I don't listen to him. I don' t remember who said the following, and shame on me, but it is one of my all time favorite qoutes: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that some of you have had negative experiances in Boulder. I'm also a little insulted by your post, as I am a former resident of Boulder and a CU graduate. Perhaps you should stop by Gunsport on 14th and meet some people who share common interests. I hope you might reconsider some generalizations you have made towards people who are my friends and about a place I would much rather live than where I am now. As for the preachings of this Churchill fellow, I can't say I know anything about it, but being upset with a city because of one man's choice to live there is rediculous. I'm sure you could find ten thousand people with the same views in any big city in the United States.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

I liked your replies. I whole-heartedly agree with your take on the first-amendment. It is one of the many things that makes America beautiful. That said, I think where most of my frustration comes from with Churchill is not so much the content of what he is saying, as it is his right to, as it is the influence he has over the people he educates. It is easy for me to see Churchills insanity for what it is but maybe a little harder for some to separate. Especially when you are graded down for a dissenting opinion. In that respect, I think he should lose his job. Not only did he lie about himself, if he can't instruct in an objective manner, he should't be responsibe for peoples grades. Like I said, I love free speech, it really is wonderful, but some seem confused when it comes to expressing an opinion or inflicting themselves upon others.

To the board: I F-ed up and posted in the wrong section. Still getting oriented here. Next time, I will post stuff like this in the 'Non-XD' section. Apologies.

Darkmann

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Seriously, boulder is a lost cause. That university is so screwed because of all the leftist actists... it is pretty sad. The cost of education there is huge because of all of the hippie liberals on the student government passing tuition fees for "green power" and stupid **** like that,

on a side note: The funny thing is there law school almost lost accreditation because of it.... :D

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
ssugarba said:
I am a former resident of Boulder and a CU graduate. Perhaps you should stop by Gunsport on 14th and meet some people who share common interests. I hope you might reconsider some generalizations you have made towards people who are my friends and about a place I would much rather live than where I am now. .
I am not a CU grad, but I was a long time resident of Boulder. Twice.

I too would rather live there than where I am now (South Florida). I have lived in quite a few placed in my life. NY City, Long Island, Boulder, Aspen, Chicago, and South Florida.

I probably had the most fun in Aspen, but I was just a kid out of college, so maybe it was just a fun time of life. Living and working and raising a child in Boulder was as good a place to do it as I can imagine. Great weather, friendly people, healthy environment (more miles of bicycle paths than probably anywhere else on earth relative to the size of the city). Clean air, low crime, and just an incredibly beautiful setting. You come over the rise on highway 36 from Denver and see Boulder open up under the Flatirons, with the Arapaho glacier behind them (snow covered 365 days a year). It's just breathtaking. Boulder even smells good.

This guy Churchill is a wacko, but he's got the right to say what he wants. Welcome to America. One guy and a whole city gets judged by him? Get a grip.

I understand that Boulder may be too progressive for the tastes of someone who thinks Pueblo is a great place. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't live in Pueblo if I was handed a free mansion and a substantial income for just living there. But I wouldn't attack the place. I realize that for some people Pueblo is a great town. It's just not a place I would want to live.

I can't understand how an attack on Boulder would be a topic for this forum. But it's hard for me to resist commenting on it. I love Boulder. Like I love America. If someone attacked America, I wouldn't be able to not respond to that either.

troymez said:
I don' t remember who said the following, and shame on me, but it is one of my all time favorite qoutes: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."
Loosely paraphrased...Voltaire.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
DanaT said:
I will ave you note that I am a Colorado native and NOT, I repeat NOT, a CU graduate. I actually got a degree from a respected univerity in CO that does not offer ANY liberal arts degrees what-so-ever.
How can an institution of higher learning be called a "University" if there are no liberal arts degrees? It is a contradiction in terms.

If you went to the Colorado School of Mines, or some other specialized college, that is NOT a "university". Fine college, but I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to be considered a "university" if there are not BA degrees offered to undergraduates.

I could be wrong. But I really don't think so.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me take a second to apologize if I twisted anyone. Maybe I misspoke myself a little and I should clarify. I don't dislike Boulder because of Ward Churchill. I dislike Boulder because I dislike Boulder. D, you are totally correct as this is off topic and that's on me. I found the non xd forum today so now I know. To all the Boulder residents or former residents who have become a little bent over my dislike for Boulder, let me say this: I have my reasons and I'm sure that there are some very nice people in Boulder. It's just that my experiences in Boulder have really inclined me against Boulder. It's really that simple. I will agree though, the surrounding area has some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

Now, my original intention was to discuss the double standard I see when applying the Constitution to people like Ward Churchill versus the average handgun owner. Sorry to get sidetracked, it happens.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Darkmann said:
Now, my original intention was to discuss the double standard I see when applying the Constitution to people like Ward Churchill versus the average handgun owner. Sorry to get sidetracked, it happens.
I will not defend Churchill based on what I know of the man. But I admit that I do not know much.

I cannot see condemning a city because one man lives there.

Interestingly, the "anti-Ward Churchill" (on the surface) would also be residing in Boulder. Robert Brown, the publisher of Soldier of Fortune magazine.

From what little I know, Brown and Churchill have an amiable relationship. I think they do, or have worked together.

So perhaps there's more to know about Churchill before you (or I) condemn the man on our very limited knowledge (or at least in my case, my knowledge is very limited).

I am sorry that you had a "bad experience" in Boulder. That can happen anywhere. And does. So that too is no reason to condemn a place.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm a Colorado native (3rd generation). I grew up and still live in N.E. Denver/Aurora.

Yes, this Curchill guy is an annoying s.o.b., and I will also agree that there are quite a few ultra-left wing nut cases in Boulder (probably balances out the many ultra-right wing nut cases that live in Colorado Springs).

However, to be honest, Boulder can be a great place (the views can be awesome), and there are a number normal, common people who live there. Just not enough that would make me want to stay for very long. Same thing goes for Colorado Springs.

Oh yeah, DanaT, we used to refer to them as Trust-A-Farians.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have no idea who this guy is, but I do have fond memories growing up in Longmont and driving to Boulder at least once a week back in the late 70's/early 80's. It was a really nice place back then, and was actually a separate city from the other towns around it. I understand that is not the case anymore.

I did have my retinas burned out once when a bicycle streaker rolled down Pearl Street in 40f temps. :shock:

·
Registered
471 Posts
First, to whomever I offended because they were a CU grad and have friends in Boulder, I guess you need to learn to live with being offended. I am not PC and have never claimed to be. That is a Boulder trait. So, if my viewpoint offends you, that is your problem.

If you like PROB so much why don't you live there? Oh, I forgot. You are a CU grad. That means you have gotten past the days of living in a dumpy house, that was subdivided into 10 apartments that are overpriced. And since it appears that you have to work, you probably couldn't find a job in Boulder that paid enough to live in Boulder. Is it a coincidence that the people who actually work in Boulder don't live in Boulder?

Ohhh..lots of bike trails. That is a big bonus. Especially when the streets aren’t plowed during a snow storm but the bike paths are. Bicycles are one of the reasons to avoid PROB.

I too have friends that live in Boulder. Quite a few actually. That doesn't mean that they aren't hypocritical liberals. Funny to see them go on about how the poor need more money given to them after driving their beemers to the Pearl street mall, walking past all the 'needy', and going into Rhumba and spending $8 a drink for cocktails.

Actually the most fun I have had in a longtime was in PROB. I went into Old Chicago's with a buddy during the Dem National Convention. Kerry was up there speaking and people were cheering him on. I was booing him. I got a lot of people wound up.

D, as far as CSM not being a university, well, I know of no definition that says that a university must have liberal arts. If you link this page
http://www.mines.edu/all_about/ you will see that that CSM claims to be a university. I guess you can argue about semantics, however, you can't argue the fact that CU is not up to standards of CSM. Keep in mind, I work at a ‘high tech’ company in PROB. There aren’t many CU grads that we hire. In fact, I think we have almost as many MIT grads as CU grads.

As far as the Churchill situation. Yes, people have free speech in this country. However, I would challenge you to use you job to say something slanderous about your employer publicly and see how long you have your job. Churchill is an Employee of the State of Colorado. He has called for the elimination of the US government and State governments. Therefore, he has used his job, a state employee, to slander his employer (the citizens of Colorado). He claims not to work for the citizens of Colorado, but instead for HIS students. I say good. The best way to solve the problem is since he doesn’t work for the State of Colorado, is that the state shouldn’t provide him with an office, a classroom, or a paycheck since he himself claims not to work for the State of Colorado. Then, he can say what ever he likes.

Keep in mind Churchill interrupts other peoples right of free speech. He is a protester that has blocked the annual Columbus day parade because he doesn’t like what they have to say. Again, I get back to liberal hypocrites. That’s what Boulder is all about. Drive your beemer (or in Churchills case collect a $114K salary) and complain about all the injustices in the world while sipping your Starbucks.

Ok. I should quit ranting.

-Dana

PS. I have no problem with beemers. Now Subarus.......

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also, keep in mind that SOF is wanted in Boulder. Paladin arms (i.e paladin press) has been chased out of Boulder and then out of Boulder county.

-Dana

·
Registered
2 Posts
DanaT said:
First, to whomever I offended because they were a CU grad and have friends in Boulder, I guess you need to learn to live with being offended. I am not PC and have never claimed to be. That is a Boulder trait. So, if my viewpoint offends you, that is your problem.

If you like PROB so much why don't you live there? Oh, I forgot. You are a CU grad. That means you have gotten past the days of living in a dumpy house, that was subdivided into 10 apartments that are overpriced. And since it appears that you have to work, you probably couldn't find a job in Boulder that paid enough to live in Boulder. Is it a coincidence that the people who actually work in Boulder don't live in Boulder?

Ohhh..lots of bike trails. That is a big bonus. Especially when the streets aren’t plowed during a snow storm but the bike paths are. Bicycles are one of the reasons to avoid PROB.

being offended and living with it are two different things. While I am offended, it doesn't bother me that you are not PC. It does bother me that you have generalized and haven't aloud for any alternative possibility. That mind set effects me and everyone else in this country because you still have the right to vote. Your ability to convince people you're right is a strong trait and I congradulate you for using your voice to express yourself, but it bothers me when it is at the expense of other's views and ideals. This ability becomes dangerous when you start convincing others you are right without presenting multiple sides of an issue. I'm not saying there are no hypocritical people in Boulder, or that I agree with everything that goes on there, but I do like to ride my bike and enjoy having paths to ride on... a very insignificant thing when it comes to political views. Its just nice to not get hit by cars. The reason I don't live in Boulder is because my wife accepted a job elswhere and I comprimised for her sake. I was perfectly comfortable living in the home that I bought through the means of my own salary (I'm not a trust fund baby). The education I recieved from CU aloud me an income large enough to afford Boulder's high costs... what do you do? and how has your education contributed to your ability to live anywhere? (I now live in the greater D.C area where the cost of living is considerably higher than in Boulder) Your choice to live outside of Boulder is yours and I couldn't care less, but don't think for a second CU does not prepare an able individual to make a living. As for clearing snow... Boulder does it as well as most cities in the country. If it snows an inch in Washington DC, the whole city shuts down... not terribly impressive for our nations capital to come in second to a small town like Boulder in such a simple matter.

So enough has been said on my part. Hope everyone has an exciting day and gets a chance to get to the range this week... this is afterall a firearms forum.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Youmentioned Gunsport. It USED to be good when it was Bighorn. Now they have a very limited inventory with high prices. It had high prices when it was bighorn, but at least they carried alot.

-Dana

1 - 20 of 21 Posts