Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stop by a local gun shop and saw a very interesting revolver (for me) it's labeled "Howard Arms 38cal" and it's hammerless. I never hear howard arms before and couldn't find any information online. I always want a break top revolver and this one isn't expansive at all. It looks like in very good condition, no rust, no wear mark, as clean as a new gun can be. But even the gun smith in the shop don't know much about them.

It looks a lot like this:

but without the hammer and rust.

Anyone know anything about them? should I get it?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Google reveals an interesting history to that gun...

Howard Arms Co. guns were distributed by H&D Folsom. They were a sporting goods company and importer/distributor. They didn't manufacture guns, but they did own Crescent Firearms and imported guns from Belgium.

According to the 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms, the Howard Arms Co. name was used only on shotguns, but of course that doesn't look to be 100% true...

Some of the Howard Arms Co. .38 revolvers are stamped "Secret Service Special" on the barrel. In that case it was originally sold by the Rohde-Spencer company of Chicago.

New York Times report from 1900:

SHOT BY HIS EMPLOYER; Head of H. & D. Folsom Arms Company Under Arrest. Says Second-Hand Revolver Was Accidentally Discharged --- Peter Koller, Wounded Man Now in Hospital.
Page 5, 1057 words
While examining a pile of old revolvers lying on a counter in the store of the H. D. Folsom Arms Company, at 314 Broadway, yesterday noon. Henry T. Folsom, the head of the firm, accidentally, shot and fatally injured Peter Koller, one of the salesmen. Koller, unconscious and in a dying condition, was taken to the Hudson Street Hospital.
SHOT BY HIS EMPLOYER; Head of H. & D. Folsom Arms Company Under Arrest... - Article Preview - The New York Times
So long story short, this gun is OLD. I'd get it just for the historical fun value.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carnivorous for you information. The shop has a tag for $150 but the gun is in really good condition. It is really sad it's not in the more common caliber. If it is 38 special I might just pick it up tomorrow. I haven't even hear of 38s&w.

Man, it look really good in the shop....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is a better picture I found. It's in different caliber but the finish and condition is very close to what I can remember.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
If you're going to get a top-break revolver, at least be a man about it and get one with a bayonet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha, if I can find one local (in my dream maybe) I'll pick one up. I always have a thing with top breaker. But I also want it in common caliber, am I being greedy?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Hahaha, if I can find one local (in my dream maybe) I'll pick one up. I always have a thing with top breaker. But I also want it in common caliber, am I being greedy?
Well, they haven't made them in quite some time... H&R made some good .32 and .22 break-tops. Webley is also good, but those would be rarer calibers (I think).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, a co worker of mine used to own a webley in 22short, and sold it. He always say selling that thing was the biggest mistake he ever made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts