Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this link from some 62 gr barrier rounds. As I read the listing, it interested me that it's an open match tip (OTM) or hollowpoint being used by the military.

Federal 5.56mm MK318 MOD 0

Just curious if any of you guys have heard about the ammo.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I read about it a few months ago, hadn't thought any more about.
Too expensive for me :lol:

It isn't a hollow point bullet.

It isn't a hollow point. It is an Open-Tip Match round much like the M118LR. The jacket is drawn from the base (instead of the cheaper method of jacket drawn from the nose and an exposed lead base) to the tip of the bullet. The tiny little hole there is just a remnant from jacketing the bullet that way. It isn't designed for expansion or calculated to cause unnecessary suffering, so it doesn't violate the Hague conventions
taken from

USMC adopt new 5.56mm MK318 MOD 0 ammunition | The Firearm Blog

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I found this link from some 62 gr barrier rounds. As I read the listing, it interested me that it's an open match tip (OTM) or hollowpoint being used by the military.

Federal 5.56mm MK318 MOD 0

Just curious if any of you guys have heard about the ammo.
It's about as good as a 5.56 round is going to get for the military, but what do you know, I (and probably you) don't have to follow the Hague Convention, and can get real ammo to do the job.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
It's about as good as a 5.56 round is going to get for the military, but what do you know, I (and probably you) don't have to follow the Hague Convention, and can get real ammo to do the job.

I agree, probably the best we'll get... and go figure, it still sucks :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts