Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member here,

I sent Storm Lake Barrels an email regarding the development of a threaded barrel for the XDS. They said that if they receive enough requests they will make it. If you are interested at all please email Storm Lake Barrels. I have a Tirant 45S suppressor that I would love to put on this gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
That would be an interesting site to see. 3.3" barrel + 8.75" suppressor... LOL

·
Registered
543 Posts
Am I wrong thinking this topic is not well received here?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Am I wrong thinking this topic is not well received here?
Just not on a XDS 3.3" pistol. It doesn't make much sense to me, that's all. On an XDm 4.5" or 5.25", sure it would be ******!

Kinda defeats the purpose of a small conceal carry gun doesn't it???
Right? LOL :shock:

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
I wouldn't mind putting a suppressor on my Sig P229, but I bought the XD-s as a concealed carry gun and a suppressed CC gun kinda defeats the purpose!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Kinda defeats the purpose of a small conceal carry gun doesn't it???
The suppressor is not for carrying, it's for the range. My ears are damaged from years of abuse. My six year old daughter has taken an interest in shooting and I'd like to shoot next to her at the range with the least amount of noise possible.

As it is, we "double up" with plugs and muffs but I still noticed my ears ringing after my last range session. If your ears are ringing, that is a sign you've taken some more permanent damage.

When not at the range, the suppressor would stay on the home defense gun, an XDM 45 4.5" with a light. The main purpose is hearing protection in the event of a home invasion. I know the BG is not likely running suppressed but my wife and daughter would be near me, closest to my gun, I'd like it to be suppressed.

If I've ever got to deploy the XDS from concealed carry, there is just going to have to be some hearing damage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hope this isn't to much of a rabbit trail, but how much help is a suppressor on a 45? I know nothing about suppressors other than what you see in the movies, which I am certain is all wrong anyway :)

I'd love a suppressor on my 22 target pistol so I could shoot it in my backyard without making much noise.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Meh......

Not trying to suppress a CCW :|

IMHO

·
Registered
30,302 Posts
Hope this isn't to much of a rabbit trail, but how much help is a suppressor on a 45? I know nothing about suppressors other than what you see in the movies, which I am certain is all wrong anyway :)

I'd love a suppressor on my 22 target pistol so I could shoot it in my backyard without making much noise.
.45 being a "slow" caliber makes it perfect for suppression

A suppressor on a .45 can do a lot with noise reduction.

+1

Meh......

Not trying to suppress a CCW :|

IMHO
Well, why not? :confused:;)

Veni, vidi, edi

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

There are a few great .45 cans that come to mind: 45 Osprey by silencerco and AAC TiRant 45. Both are hearing safe. Expect to pay roughly 1k with the $200 tax stamp though.

I will also agree that the weight and size of the silencer even for just range use does not make much sense on that small of a barrel. I suppose you might see a few malfunctions. People report that the weight of some weapon lights will do this.....these cans can add a lot of weight to the front of the muzzle and with the barrel being so small I am not sure the balance would feel that stellar. I am sure someone will argue the other way though. I can say I haven't shot a suppressor on a barrel that short though.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Well, why not? :confused:;)

Veni, vidi, edi
Man, hard to shove that down one's pants :D. I will drop a line for OP's request! And because of this >
I will also agree that the weight and size of the silencer even for just range use does not make much sense on that small of a barrel. I suppose you might see a few malfunctions. People report that the weight of some weapon lights will do this.....these cans can add a lot of weight to the front of the muzzle and with the barrel being so small I am not sure the balance would feel that stellar. I am sure someone will argue the other way though. I can say I haven't shot a suppressor on a barrel that short though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm with you. 99 % of the time the XDS is CCW and NOT with someone asking "Is that a big suppressor in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?". But when at the range plinking, I would love to use my .45 suppressor. Thats not too much to ask, especially when you have sunk more than the cost of the gun into the suppressor and the tax stamp.

I've contacted 4 major barrel manufacturers and Springfield Armory requesting an XDS threaded barrel. All have replied back that they do not have one. Not enough time or demand yet I suppose..... so keep emailing / calling them with request and maybe one day we will get one.

here are some contacts:

www storm-lake com sales at storm-lake com 866-392-1654
www jarvis-custom com 406.961.4392
www lonewolfdist com Sales at LoneWolfDist com 208-448-0600
www efkfiredragon com Contact on web
www www springfield-armory com customshop at springfield-armory com 800-617-6751 and sales at springfield-armory com 800-680-6866

Here is a pic of what I ALMOST can do. just missing that dang XDS Threaded Barrel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
I think a suppressor at the range is a nice idea as long as everyone else on the firing line has them as well. It doesn't make any difference if your gun is suppressed if the guy at the other end, with the Barrett shooting .50BMG isn't! What about the clown with the S&W model 500 "Grizzly Destroyer" standing next to you?:shock: Last time I checked, putting a suppressor on a revolver was pointless!:rolleyes: I guess what I'm trying to say is the suppressor, while cool, isn't going to help YOU at the range!

I always double up with my hearing protection and it helps but I already have permanent damage thanks to the US Navy! If you have your own personal range where you can bust caps by your own lonesome, then a suppressor would be great! I just can't justify the bucks for something that is more a novelty than anything else especially on a gun as small as the XD-s!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts