Springfield XD Forum banner

anyone interested in a sling?

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  XDFreak316 
#1 ·
Admins, if this belongs somewhere else, or any other problems occur, please let me know and I'll take appropriate action.

Hey guys, I'm interested in making some slings from paracord, and will hopefully in the near future be making kydex holsters by April if not sooner. Right now, slings are what I have enough time for and want to see how they work out with people and I need an honest opinion on the product itself and any improvements I can make. I've only made a couple slings, which unfortunately I don't have pictures of and are no longer in my hands (gave them away as gifts, stupid I know). I can make a few different braids and just about any color possible (after an order is placed mind you). I'd really like to make a single person one and only charge for what it costs to make and ship. You can even choose the length, and and clips. If you want it adjustable, I can try to do it, but it may take longer to make. Im just being honest and not wanting to make false promises. I would like to make a one or two point sling, preferably for an AR setup, but would make one for a shotgun or other rifle. I will be taking applications here, so just write a little something about yourself and the wepon you're wanting to get a USA made custom sling.

Again, im not trying to make any admin upset, or step on anyone's toes. I'm simply wanting to start something to help pay off student loans, tool loans, and maybe buy my girlfriend a ring when I get around to it. :lol:

Just an FYI, here's how it would work. The winner would be chosen, they would either find the clips and send them to me, or just let me find them myself. They would also explain color(s) and weave and type and also measure themselves. I would get a total price for them, once agreed, the winner would send me enough to cover shipping, and materials and I would make it and send it their way. If I forget something I need or run out of that color or anything of the such, ill pick up the cost since im seeking you out, and that's what good business is to me. The only thing you would be required to do is to give an honest review to me, and if you like it tell your friends. That's all I ask from the winner. Im a eagle scout so I do hold myself to a certain level of integrity.

Thanks for reading this post, I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out a young entrepreneur just trying to make his way.

This is a great site and I love reading endlessly!

Thanks again,
Jonathan

See less See more
#2 ·
Do like SGL did. He actually gave them away at first. But he was a member for 2 years before doing this and became a vendor first. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sentry-gunleather/240602-sentry-gunleather-supporting-vendor.html I'm not sure if asking for money is a CoC violation but I would check with a mod before proceeding further.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sentry-gunleather/240605-free-gear-giveaway-promotional-thread-limited-time-only.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-talk-announcements/180382-xdtalk-forum-rules-code-conduct.html#post2956026 Read the Commercial Sponsorship and Marketplace section.

#3 ·
I won a holster from the free giveaway didn't pay and did my review. Shawn and sentry gunleather did a great job. He was just starting out in the business and that was a promotional for him. By me getting that holster me and yocan had him make holsters for all our gear. We became life long clients. Me and shawn are good friends now.

Point is if you can do this. The best bet is to go all out. Do everything for free. Not saying paying for the materials is wrong, but most people would just do it themselves and go with trial and error. Shipping most people will pay. Make a few and get the reviews. Facebook spread the word and always keep evolving

sent by the german shepherd next to me

#4 ·
I'm in will send pm with background later.

#5 ·
Nice point gents, if I honestly could afford to do that, I totally would as that's what I thought about doing first. I would absolutely love to go that route, but I am trying to still pay for school, and as a mechanic, you can imagine the hefty tool bill that comes along with it. Im hoping I can get my feet under me more with starting this slowly and start to slowly make a few dollars here and there. I really do appreciate the imput, hopefully im not stepping on any admin rules or feelings, as im not actually trying to charge for the service.

Thanks again!

#6 ·
When I have a few extra dollars, I do plan on making a few and giving them awa. That has always been a plan for me to get reviews and make changes.

#8 ·
I'm in, dude. I honestly have no idea what weave I would choose, so you can give me some options on that to choose from. It would be a single point with QD for my AR with a Magpul stock. If you pick me, then we could talk about colors!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I think people are a little foggy on what it is you're offering, XDF316. I don't think you should give your labor away for free, although I fully understand how that works because I've done it myself in a different arena. Sounds contradictory I know...I DID it, just wished I didn't have to. Some pictures of your work would help immensely. Not a lot of people are gonna know about different weaves, braids, etc. I don't have anything to even put a sling on right now, otherwise I'd be all over it, I always like something a little different. If you can make rifle slings you can probably also make guitar straps...try some musician's forums as well as gun sites (that's a pun...kind of). Those guys are always looking for a freebie.

Best of luck. I LOVE entrepenuerism.

#11 ·
I will totally do it! I need a couple more rifle slings badly anyway.:D

#12 ·
I think people are a little foggy on what it is you're offering, XDF316. I don't think you should give your labor away for free, although I fully understand how that works because I've done it myself in a different arena. Sounds contradictory I know...I DID it, just wished I didn't have to. Some pictures of your work would help immensely. Not a lot of people are gonna know about different weaves, braids, etc. I don't have anything to even put a sling on right now, otherwise I'd be all over it, I always like something a little different. If you can make rifle slings you can probably also make guitar straps...try some musician's forums as well as gun sites (that's a pun...kind of). Those guys are always looking for a freebie.

Best of luck. I LOVE entrepenuerism.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Ill do a couple halfway freebees, then hopefully can start taking orders and charge a little bit for my labor. I didn't even think about guitar straps. Great idea!

I will totally do it! I need a couple more rifle slings badly anyway.:D
Thanks!

#14 ·
400 views, and only a few entries?! Come on people!
Good luck with your entrepreneurial venture. If you ever have any business related questions (non legal) my door is open. I have 2x business degree's that I studied very hard for and if any bit of knowledge up there could help someone else benefit then I would be happy to help.

I majored in management with a minor in information systems, but I have studied macro and micro levels of corporate and private business as well as advertising, customer service and so on. Product development is also something I have a knack for.

"Think your way to success!"

#17 ·
I'd love a convertible one point/two point with Magpul QD sling rings, and a IWC Tri-Glide about 4" from the rear. 1.25" width if possible, if not, 1" will be fine. Black and and a lighter grey if you can.

This will be going on my varmint AR.
Thanks for the entry, im from wichita too! We will have to grab lunch sometime.

#18 ·
Good luck with your entrepreneurial venture. If you ever have any business related questions (non legal) my door is open. I have 2x business degree's that I studied very hard for and if any bit of knowledge up there could help someone else benefit then I would be happy to help.

I majored in management with a minor in information systems, but I have studied macro and micro levels of corporate and private business as well as advertising, customer service and so on. Product development is also something I have a knack for.

"Think your way to success!"
Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to keep you in mind! Im highly considering going back again for business, but I'd hate to take more loans out. Thanks again!

#23 ·
Alright guys, so I am going to make two. Im going to make one for Taylorjr and rharp. Ill get better reviews I believe. Plus then I dont have to get yelled at by the other one. Lol. I'll contact you both soon. Thanks for the entries guys! Ill post pictures when the slings are made!

#24 ·
#25 ·
I'm actually in Wichita, too! Not even kidding!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
You never messaged me back, I did choose both of you. I have stuff on the way for taylor now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.