Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my XD 45 but I've also been doing research on the M&P 45 Compact because it might be nice to own both:D:D:D

I went to the an M&P specific forum and was a little discouraged to find that they had a 'problem' forum for the pistols as well.

I've heard that the pistols have had some issues...some small parts breaking, QC issues, mags dropping, premature slide lock, possible frame cracking (although extremely isolated).

With absolutely no intent to bash the M&P, I'm trying to find out if these reports are accurate and if they only affect certain models of the M&P line. If I was to go out and buy an M&P 45 compact today, would it still have some of these issues or have they all been resolved?

Anyone here on the XD forum own the M&P and have any experiences either good or bad? I'd love to know more about it, seems like a great pistol. I'm just not willing to trust my life to it if there are a few little bugs that still need working out. My wife was also interested in the M&P 9mm compact, so any information I can get about these pistols, the better.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I dont' really like them. It just doesn't feel as solid in my hand. And I don't like the take down method either.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My dad just resently bought an M&P .40. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, thanks to the lovely Indiana weather. It's feels really good in my hand. Removeable backstraps, and two fifteen rouns mags. As far as I know all known issues have been worked out. As for breaking it down, same as the XD. I broke hes down out of the box no problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I own a M&P full size 40 and a M&P 9 compact. The 40 I have put 1000+ rounds plus through it and had no issues. The 9 I have not had that many through it, but I don't doubt it will be fine. They point and shoot fine.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
My brother has a full size M&P 40......I personally love it and take it out to the range more then he does, it's a tack driver.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have an m&p9 compact and have a full size m&p on layaway waiting for me. Long story short, if the SHTF I would grab my m&p before my xd. Thats how much confidence I have in it.

I heard one person ever complain about the slide cracking. I saw one website, can't remember where, that ran a torture test on an m&p9. They put over 60,000 rounds (WAY more than I'm ever likely to shoot) through it and finaly made the slide crack, although it still functioned after the crack had shown up. Additionally s&w repaired (replaced the slide) for free.

I've never heard about any of the other issues that you spoke of. Of course thats not to say that it hasn't happened. But if you did have issues with small parts breaking, one nice thing is that Smith & Wesson ships individual parts, so you or your local gunsmith can do any repairs if you want. Unlike SA with the xd, where if you have an issue you must ship your pistol to the factory regardless of how big or small the problem is.

IMHO, the ergonomics on the m&p are the best on the market today. And that, to me, more than makes up for any potential hickups I may have in the future (although I don't expect any).

Here's something to consider though. The m&p 45 doesn't have the capacity of the xd 45. The fullsize m&p only carries 10+1, compared to the xd carrying 13+1. And the compact m&p has, I think, 8+1 as opposed to 10+1. So if you are concerned about capacity, that may be an issue.

And don't worry about the takedown method, it can be done the exact same as the xd. It does have another, internal switch than you can disengage IF you want to, so that you don't have to pull the trigger for disassembly. Which, if you choose to disassemble the weapon that way, can be a b****. But that is NOT the only way to do it.

Either way you go, you can't lose IMHO. Good luck!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've been researching the M&P pretty hard core too. I think I stumbled upon the same M&P website as you and I noticed the majority of reoccuring problems that people were having were old, as in the threads were posted a long time ago which I hope is an indication of all the bugs having been worked out. I held one yesterday and it was like butta in my hands. I think I might be picking one up as soon as I can afford it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I noticed the same thing too when I was on there. The sticky they had about the mag drop issues was from around 2007. I did once fire an M&P 9mm and it was a good experience. I think I just saw more posting about issues/problems than I saw here for the XD so it made me curious.

Ahhh, more research to do!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had the .40 service M&P since September. It was also manufactured last September so having a two week old piece was pretty neat. I also think the ergonomics of the M&P are some of the best out there.

Also, I notice a significant reduction in recoil, and increased control with the M&P compared to other .40s I have fired (i.e. the XD). It is a very solid pistol and feels just as good as any high-quality piece out there. The 15+1 in .40S&W is a plus as well, if you wanted a .40 that is.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love my M&P 40c. It feels better in my hand than my XD9sc. I like the rounded edges better. I think the M&P is a great gun. I don't have a preference as to the take down of either.
I like the grip safety on the XD. +1 there
Both are great!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Unlike SA with the xd, where if you have an issue you must ship your pistol to the factory regardless of how big or small the problem is.
That's just wrong, lots of parts are now available from vendors.

I have the full size M&P 45 with the thumb safety and I think it's just fine, roughly equal to my XDs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a M&P45 with the thumb safteys as well, so far I like it, it will feed 200gr LSWC's with no problems unlike my recently sold XD which refused to do so. I've got a low round count on it, (under 500rnds) but I haven't had a problem yet and it's fed fired, ejected every type of ammo I've ran through it LSWC's RN, JHP's all go in, and come out as empty cases... The ergo's are much better than XD, Glock, and a few others it fits your hand very well. Parts availabilty..Although this has been improving for the XD, the improvements are slow in coming, and if our new Pres. decides to slip in a ban on foreign parts and surplus ammo, well, you're screwed, S&W, already has parts available, and being made here, there's no problem getting them. This line of thinking is part of why I sold my XD, there's no real support for them.. I've been weeding out my pistols and keeping those in which mags, and parts are easy to get, the only exception I've made was for a HK USP I stumbled across, too good of a deal, and, well, it's a HK.. They usually don't have many problems, and usually shoot very well,right out of the box. This one came with factory night sights, LEM trigger (5Lb pull) jet funnel, and 2 18rnd mags.. anyway, back to the topic.. There's nothing wrong with the M&P, I'm sure they got all the teething issues fixed, and if you do have a problem S&W will fix for free just like S.A. will for life.. As far as takedown is concerned, it's really a non-issue, and the M&P won't lock up if you get the recoil spring assembly in off center like the XD can..

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
A lot of the teething issues have been addressed. I'm waiting on my third M&P to arrive from Bud's (1x M&P9 and 2x M&P45c). The triggers out of the box aren't fantastic, but do get better pretty easily and can be improved without much effort. I'm dry-firing the crap out of my M&P9 right now and there has already been a noticeable improvement.

Ergonomics are great, IMO...appearance, while a secondary concern, is appealing to me. Parts are more or less available from multiple sources. The takedown method is different than what I'm used to with XDs, but it does have the benefit of being virtually impossible to disassemble while loaded.

Recoil is very manageable, and the gun is very easy to shoot. I love them.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted over at the M&P place so I'll see what they have to say as well about the reliability of the current ones coming out now. Their 45 compact is looking might tasty!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to rack the slide on an M&P compared to an XD? I ask because the slide rack on my XD 45 is VERY stiff and it might be nice to have a handgun in the house that is a little more wife friendly.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to rack the slide on an M&P compared to an XD? I ask because the slide rack on my XD 45 is VERY stiff and it might be nice to have a handgun in the house that is a little more wife friendly.
My wife can't fully "rack" my XD45, but she has no problem loading the M&P 9 Compact. I never really considered that aspect of automatic handgunning, "racking" the slide, until I got that M&P for my wife. She had problems at first, but I showed her how to do it more effectively, and now she has no problems at all with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts