Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18,141 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I was trying to find a vid of them firing the thing the whole way through^ still pretty sweet!

·
Registered
815 Posts
So I decided to start teaching my Son and Daughter to shoot this past weekend! I pulled out my old Daisy BB/pellet gun and while it works fine it is getting a little wooped! So I decided to take a look on the internet to see what is out there and came across Gamo as well as many other brands. I really like the Whisper fusion and whisper fusion pro models. Where I live I can set up a 100 yard range for pellet guns but the quieter the better. Any thoughts on these two models? Is the pro really any better? Any other brands that may be better?

I have to say I am pretty excited to set up a little range! I'm thinking a Hickok45 type range for pellet/BB guns!!

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I have a Gameo but not the whisper model. It doesn't seem to bother the neighbors. They are well made and powerful. Will kill a squirrel with a good hit. How old are your kids? There pellet guns are as dangerous as a 22 as far as safety goes. If your kids can hold and shoot a 22 the gameo will work. If they are too young for a 22 then stay with a BB gun. Get the 177 cal model.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Gamo Big Cat... Very sweet air gun, it came as a scope combo from [email protected] Pro. I had heard the Whisper was pretty loud despite it being sold as a silenced air gun. The noisy part is just the operation itself.

Its very accurate... I shoot at an aluminum heat sink from an old Pentium 2 PC at 40 yards. The cooling fins make a very resonant tone when hit. We have alot of fun with it.
I have the Whisper and it is very nice shooting but you are correct that it is not as silent as advertised.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a Gameo but not the whisper model. It doesn't seem to bother the neighbors. They are well made and powerful. Will kill a squirrel with a good hit. How old are your kids? There pellet guns are as dangerous as a 22 as far as safety goes. If your kids can hold and shoot a 22 the gameo will work. If they are too young for a 22 then stay with a BB gun. Get the 177 cal model.
Thanks for the info.

The Kids are too young for a .22 and will be each getting a Redrider for now. The Gamo is for Dad!! :p

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have the Whisper and it is very nice shooting but you are correct that it is not as silent as advertised.

Whisper? Any of the fusion models? Those are the ones I am most interested in.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
if the kids are too little for a .22, a red ryder is pretty tame by todays standards and would be pretty good to teach basics.

25 bucks with free shipping too

[/ame]

Roll over image to zoom in
Share your own customer images

Daisy Outdoor Products Red Ryder Gun (Brown/Black, 35.4 Inch)

by Daisy
4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (249 customer reviews)
List Price: $64.99 Price: $24.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details You Save: $40.00 (62%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Want it tomorrow, April 13? Order within 1 hr 38 mins, and choose Saturday Delivery at checkout. Details

• 0.177 caliber airgun with smooth bore, steel barrel
  • Stained solid wood stock and forearm; blade and ramp front sight; adjustable rear sight
  • Lever-cocking, spring air action
  • Shoots up to 350 feet per second; 650 shot capacity
  • Recommended for ages 10 and older with adult supervision

·
Registered
431 Posts
So I decided to start teaching my Son and Daughter to shoot this past weekend! I pulled out my old Daisy BB/pellet gun and while it works fine it is getting a little wooped! So I decided to take a look on the internet to see what is out there and came across Gamo as well as many other brands. I really like the Whisper fusion and whisper fusion pro models. Where I live I can set up a 100 yard range for pellet guns but the quieter the better. Any thoughts on these two models? Is the pro really any better? Any other brands that may be better?

I have to say I am pretty excited to set up a little range! I'm thinking a Hickok45 type range for pellet/BB guns!!
Amazon has a pretty PINK Red Ryder that I bet your Daughter will just LOVE!! Good job teaching them young!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I purchased the Whisper Fusion from Cabela's
Cabela's: Gamo® Whisper Fusion Air Rifle

I was considering a Whisper Fusion. Good rifle, but decided to go with the Bone Collector instead. Price was right. Just bought it this morning so I only have it sighted it at about 40 ft. With the BPA Platinum ammo that came with it, it's very accurate at that range. I sure would not want to get hit with one of them. Still need to tweak the scope some though. With the cheap Crossman points I had laying around you get what you get. I'd stay away from them as you do get some fliers. They were good enough to get in the ballpark with though, and took it from there with the good stuff.
I also managed to score some 22lrs this morning. All things considered it was a pretty good day. Congrats on your new rifle.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_...sionid=29FCAAFB567473EAF8C19ACD276664DE.app03

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
a little late, but I take out squirrells all the time with a less expensive Crossman .177 pump air pistol. That GAMO should easily take care of raccoons, squirrells and other pests out to 50 -75 yards or more. Especially with a scope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a close up look at the Maxxim and the video also has some info you need to know about shooting 1300FPS. and the Diana No Recoil mount

Also the Beeman R7 has no kick. It's a good choice. $200-$249 used
Also you can't put a normal scope on a break barrel rifle. It will damage the scope.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok...I have HAD IT with trying to find 22LR ammo around here!

Since I own several 22 rifles...I am going to keep my better ones and the older more collectible ones and the others are going to be sold off for a really nice air rifle.

I have looked at the Gamo air rifles and it seems that for around 200 bucks, you can get a pretty decent .177 caliber air rifle.

This will be used for close range small varminting and target shooting.

Anybody own one of these rifles? How accurate are they? Did you scope yours or buy it with the 4X scope?

Also, how do they hold up over time?

If anyone has one or has an alternative that is 250 bucks or less...please let me know. It also HAS to be .177 caliber because that is the easiest pellets to find.

The 22 ammo problem is getting old and I am ditching a few of my 22s for an air rifle since I have no air rifle at all.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

-brickboy240
I have a gamo raptor but I would get the gamo swarm, 10 shot mag, brake barrel gas piston. I have a older gamo hunter 440 with dual spring conversion. (Hot rod) I also have the very nice umarex gauntlet. 177, hpa/co2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, that "Big Cat' with the 4X scope is one I am looking at.

I am finding that the Gamos are pretty affordable and that means I might not have to sell a few 22 rifles to get one.

The 22 ammo situation shows no signs of letting up here.

-brickboy240
Look at the gamo swarm, 10 shot mag, still in the whisper series. I have gamo raptor whisper, all very nice fun blinkers as are many others. Umarex makes a (hammer) 50 cal compressed air. American Airgunner on pursuit channel show wild hogs and deer being taken. Loots of good viewing for airguns on YouTube as well.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts