Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any 185 gr XTP .451 bullets laying around and a caliper??
Just trying to see how long that bullet is? If you have the base to ogive measurement via a comparator set I would greatly appreciate that data as well.
Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
anyone have any 185 gr XTP .451 bullets laying around and a caliper??
Just trying to see how long that bullet is? If you have the base to ogive measurement via a comparator set I would greatly appreciate that data as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
Got some at home. They load to the same OAL as the 200 & 230gr, same nose profile.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some at home. They load to the same OAL as the 200 & 230gr, same nose profile.
I was actually hoping to get the measurements to compare the bullet to the mag tech 185 gr gold gaurdians I'm loading using some XTP data.

just trying to be sure the mag techs aren't exceptionally short or long and vice versa on the xtp's.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I was actually hoping to get the measurements to compare the bullet to the mag tech 185 gr gold gaurdians I'm loading using some XTP data.

just trying to be sure the mag techs aren't exceptionally short or long and vice versa on the xtp's.
I'll dig them up & get you a measurement if no one comes back first.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Fred has it right, but there has been a change to the 230 gr. XTP where it's nose is now slightly longer and Hornady is recommending 1.235 - 1.245" OACL. What I do with XTPs is load them to where the transition point (shoulder) is about .005" above the case-mouth. With the 200 gr. XTP that results in an OACL of 1.225", so there's no reason you can't go to 1.230". You could also load the Mag-Techs as short as 1.210". Kinda depends on the data you're using and the OACL your pistol likes. As far as using a mid-charge, the difference between loading at 1.210" and 1.230" is negligible. ;)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just enjoy the added security of knowing another variable in the loaded round has been addressed before that first trigger pull.

That's good to know , I was under the impression pistol cases bc of being straight walled were very sensitive along the lines of pressure with seating depth. I guess it's more the case in 9mm and 40.

the old xd 45 4" isn't picky at all on coal. it's been a great gun.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I use the 185 grain XTP's in a practice load that is matched to the ballistics of a 185 grain Speer Gold Dot, so I always have several boxes on hand. BTW, powder charge is 10.0 grains of AA #5 with an overall length of 1.230 inch. Out of my 5 inch Ruger SR1911 this load yields 1050 fps.

Overall length is 0.540 inch and the base to ogive length is 0.220 inch.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the 185 grain XTP's in a practice load that is matched to the ballistics of a 185 grain Speer Gold Dot, so I always have several boxes on hand. BTW, powder charge is 10.0 grains of AA #5 with an overall length of 1.230 inch. Out of my 5 inch Ruger SR1911 this load yields 1050 fps.

Overall length is 0.540 inch and the base to ogive length is 0.220 inch.
thanks a lot. that's exactly what I needed.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I just enjoy the added security of knowing another variable in the loaded round has been addressed before that first trigger pull.

That's good to know , I was under the impression pistol cases bc of being straight walled were very sensitive along the lines of pressure with seating depth. I guess it's more the case in 9mm and 40.

the old xd 45 4" isn't picky at all on coal. it's been a great gun.

m_f, that's correct. Pressure rises due to shorter seating depth are fairly proportional to the operating pressure of the cartridge. You can get into trouble pretty quick in .40 S&W. Not that you're immune with 9mm, either, but its case can handle more pressure than the .40 S&W's. ;)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, that's what I've read too. I always take special care with the 40s. I guess it also has something to do with the area the wider bullet (40) covers in such a small case.

One of the manuals, Lyman or Speer actual have that warning for 9mm about seating depth and disregard to mention it about 40. it blows my mind why they did that and bc Of that I have people (ignorant people) referencing that telling I'm wrong about the 40 being that pressure sensitive and it's only a concern in 9mm. I say good luck with your hands lol and keep going.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
cool, that's what I've read too. I always take special care with the 40s. I guess it also has something to do with the area the wider bullet (40) covers in such a small case.

One of the manuals, Lyman or Speer actual have that warning for 9mm about seating depth and disregard to mention it about 40. it blows my mind why they did that and bc Of that I have people (ignorant people) referencing that telling I'm wrong about the 40 being that pressure sensitive and it's only a concern in 9mm. I say good luck with your hands lol and keep going.

That's exactly right with the .40 S&W. Very little more available powder space with much heavier bullets. Then again, there are people who just don't understand the faster pressure peaking nature of the cartridge that goes along with it. If you had QuickLoad you could compare 35,000 PSI .40 S&W to 35,000 PSI 9 x 19mm with common OACLs and check "Time to Pmax" to get exact numbers. I don't have QL on my computer but I have an analysis that was sent to me from a very respected moderator on another forum who is also a retired gunsmith regarding the various .40 S&W spherical powders I typically recommend. All loads used 180 gr. JHPs. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts