Springfield XD Forum banner

Anyone have a S&W SD9/40?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  warmachine 
#1 ·
Have and LOVE my M&P .40 fullsize. Use it in IDPA matches. Little large for a concealed carry (I've tried hard).
Looking to sell & replace my G19 with something of similar size. Might go with my HK after I find a replacement extractor.

Also looking at the SW SD9 As a possibility since I'm such a M&P fan. Reviews say trigger is long with a long reset. But reviews vary a lot. I can't find one locally to "test drive" so I'm looking for opinions on the SD ALONE! Not looking for other model suggestions.

So if you have one or took a test drive of one (9mm or .40), would like to hear about the size, weight, and trigger experience. Especially is you have a Glock, M&P, or XD to compare the SD to.

Thanks ;)

#2 ·
My advice would be to keep your G19.

And, let me state that I own/have owned Glocks, XD's, and M&P's.

I've shot the SD9. The trigger is very Sigma-like; long and heavy. The M&P is a much better pistol.

Beyond that, it was reasonably accurate (I think I coulda done a better job had the trigger not been so blasted heavy), and was reliable enough for the 50 or so rounds I put through it.

If you must get rid of your G19, you'd probably be happiest with a M&P compact.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I was afraid of a Sigma type trigger.
I Started with the MP compact, too small for me, just like the G26 was, thus why I went with the G19.
I won't be keeping the G19, just not gonna work for me.

#6 ·
I assume you were referring to the M&P 9/40c when you said it was to small, but what about the .45 compact? It's pretty close in size to the G19. Or is .45 a no go?
I have the M&P .45 compact and Loved it it is the same size as the G19. Unfortunately they have a design flaw in the magazines. They are so unreliable it can only be a range gun....a poor one at that with the bad mags. If it had been reliable, I would never have bought the G19. It was like Gildielocks,,,"just right"
M&P needs to have a 9mm or .40 in the same size as the .45 compact. They don't have a "midsize" M&P.

And yes, I was speaking of the M&P9 compact being too small for me.

#7 ·
I have the M&P .45 compact and Loved it it is the same size as the G19. Unfortunately they have a design flaw in the magazines. They are so unreliable it can only be a range gun....a poor one at that with the bad mags. If it had been reliable, I would never have bought the G19. It was like Gildielocks,,,"just right"
M&P needs to have a 9mm or .40 in the same size as the .45 compact. They don't have a "midsize" M&P.

And yes, I was speaking of the M&P9 compact being too small for me.
What's the issue with the compact mags? I have a full size M&P .45 and have never had any issues with the 10rd or 14rd mags.

#8 ·
My advice would be to keep your G19.

And, let me state that I own/have owned Glocks, XD's, and M&P's.

I've shot the SD9. The trigger is very Sigma-like; long and heavy. The M&P is a much better pistol.

Beyond that, it was reasonably accurate (I think I coulda done a better job had the trigger not been so blasted heavy), and was reliable enough for the 50 or so rounds I put through it.

If you must get rid of your G19, you'd probably be happiest with a M&P compact.
I was under the impression that they (the SD 9/40) are the sucessor to the Sigma...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.