Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my weekly range visit, I field-stripped the XD and noticed that the little white dot in the front sight blade was gone. Only the hole remains. It's not a real big deal because I use Crimson Trace laser grips, but it's cosmetically unappealing.

Will SA just send me a new white dot, or do I have to send in the slide for them to install it? It's my everyday carry gun, so I'm a little concerned about parting with it for however long it takes to ship/fix/ship.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm wondering if this is common or a rarity.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
It happens to all sorts of guns.

A quick and easy fix is to just use fingernail polish or enamel to fill it back in.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Happened to one of my m&p"s, a little white nail polish and you’re back in business.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Yup, just a paint chip that flaked. Nail polish applied with a toothpick will fix it right up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I actually paint mine up with nail polish (before they get night sights), it is much easier to see than the factory paint.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I've got some fluorescent glow-in-the-dark paint that I bought for my Ruger Mark II sights from a hobby shop. Sounds like just the ticket.

I was thinking it was an embedded metal or plastic dot that fell off.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Thanks. I've got some fluorescent glow-in-the-dark paint that I bought for my Ruger Mark II sights from a hobby shop. Sounds like just the ticket.

I was thinking it was an embedded metal or plastic dot that fell off.
I think they are actually colored clay, but a dab of paint works just as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my XD is wearing new fluorescent glow-in-the-dark dots on both the front and rear sights. I'm surprised how good it looks now. Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't find a toothpick around the house so I had to improvise. I cut a bristle from a stiff push broom, and used that to apply the paint instead. The dots came out perfectly round just like the stock sights.

I had previously purchased the glow-in-the-dark paint at a hobby shop to put dots on the sights of My Ruger Mark II that my wife likes to shoot. The range we go to doesn't have uniform overhead lighting, so some lanes are pretty dark, and it's hard to see the blue/black stock sights with out the paint on there.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
450 Posts
After my weekly range visit, I field-stripped the XD and noticed that the little white dot in the front sight blade was gone. Only the hole remains. It's not a real big deal because I use Crimson Trace laser grips, but it's cosmetically unappealing.

Will SA just send me a new white dot, or do I have to send in the slide for them to install it? It's my everyday carry gun, so I'm a little concerned about parting with it for however long it takes to ship/fix/ship.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm wondering if this is common or a rarity.
Nothing two dollars worth of cheap nail polish from Wally World won't fix.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Glad it worked out well for ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts