Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was practicing dry firing my xdm40c to get rid of my low/left debacle, and I decided to switch hands to firing left handed. It feels very very comfortable but my stance still feels a little off.

I'm gonna go shooting on monday and try left handed. The grip feels great and more natural.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was practicing dry firing my xdm40c ...
I hope you are using Snap Caps - I dry fired my XD and broke the Roll Pin. The slide locked up solid after 4 shots at the range and had it been a SD situation I could have been in a bad situation.
The striker is slamming against the roll pin since there is no primer present to absorb some of striker pin force.
I replaced the Roll Pin, never dry fired it again and no longer worry about the Roll Pin breaking - I'll just replace it every 3,000 or so rounds to be on the safe side.
Consider buying these pins - they are much stronger than the stock ones.
PRP Striker retainer pins
Just my 2 cents worth - some will say road apples - some might agree.
Enjoy your gun, take your wife out shooting. :)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
No. I will give it a try here in about 3 hours when I am at the range.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
We practice CLOSE UP weak-hand fire by fully extending the arm, canting the weapon 45 degrees, and lining up the target with the edge of the slide.

You will notice the recoil of your pistol really drawing you pistol further to your weak side. Angling the pistol helps minimize that movement.

I've had to do that to qualify with every pistol I've carrried for work; HK USP, 1911s, XD45c, XD9sc, XDm40 3.8 c.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We practice shooting support side just as much as strong side. Most people notice it is a lot easier to train a new hand to shoot well. Support side hand doesn't have the bad habits that the strong side does. Some days during class, even though it is not as comforble to me, I shoot better one handed, support side.
Try to duplicate everything over to your support side when shooting that way. Grip, stance, foot placement. It takes a while to get used to it, but it'll become second nature aftesome practice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did. It seems I actually shoot bullseye better left-handed and action pistol right-handed. It's strange, but it feels very natural for me. Yay for odd people. We rule!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Generally people will shoot better with their support side hand because they tend to pay more attention to the fundamentals since it seems so foreign to them.

Also if you are shooting low and left (right handed shooter) it is generally caused by a combination of pushing the trigger (often due to using too much finger) and either snatching the trigger or anticipating recoil. Just a couple of things to watch for.

The best method for working on this is to throw some empty brass in each mag and watch for movement when firing.

·
Premium Member
127,260 Posts
I putt better left-handed. ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I fired off 200 more rounds today. I found now I'm only shooting low, and no longer low left. Actually shot with my support hand and could not handle the recoil well, but didn't try alot of shots with it to try to get it better. Still a little bit low and that's it. I've just been aiming 5 inches up and can hit center mass well enough lol. But I know for a fact I'm still flinching.

I think I'm gonna try a few more boxes and go to the range by myself instead of with friends so I have more time to focus on my shooting.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Peasant I'll make sure to get some of those pins ordered and take you up on your advice.

I hope you are using Snap Caps - I dry fired my XD and broke the Roll Pin. The slide locked up solid after 4 shots at the range and had it been a SD situation I could have been in a bad situation.
The striker is slamming against the roll pin since there is no primer present to absorb some of striker pin force.
I replaced the Roll Pin, never dry fired it again and no longer worry about the Roll Pin breaking - I'll just replace it every 3,000 or so rounds to be on the safe side.
Consider buying these pins - they are much stronger than the stock ones.
PRP Striker retainer pins
Just my 2 cents worth - some will say road apples - some might agree.
Enjoy your gun, take your wife out shooting. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts