1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am haveing a bad time :shock:
Ups say's mark box take to hub but the hub is 45 minutes away
Fedex say's to ffl only and must go to hub little closer 30 minutes
It is just 50 round off powder puffs 40 cal nothing real special.

Help,
I am just trying to do a favor for a board member
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
ammo does not have to be shipped through an FFL.(<=fact)

i dont believe it has to have any markings unless its 1,000 rounds or more.(<=guestimation)

if its just 50rnds, i wouldnt even tell them its ammo.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Anyone (that can legally posess it) can ship ammo (to anyone who can legally posess it), just has to have the ORM-D label regardless of the amount.

One thing is that the "stores" (FedEx/Kinkos, UPS Store, Mailboxes Etc) may not accept them since they're not owned by the said shipper. They just have a contract with them.

You may be able call and schedule a pickup at your residence from the shippers.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Fedex reject you talked to better check their policies. No mention of a FFL, just that you've passed hazmat training. Furthermore, I've shipped items clearly marked ORM-D at a FedEx World Service Center (Huntington WV airport) without issue.

Here's another hole in shipping policies, they list "Federal Firearms License", so going by their guidelines, even a C&R holder can ship according to their policies. The idiots at the counter don't have a clue between Type 01 and 03, all they look for is something that says ATF and Dept of Treasury.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/options/ground/hazmat/services.html?link=4

·
Registered
435 Posts
Purchaser has to provide you with a release and a copy of their ID too. I think ammoman.com has the release.

I shipped ammo one time and I will never do it again. PITA

·
Registered
275 Posts
R\t I get ammo all the time Sportsmanguide.com about 8 months ago ups dropped 7500 rounds the only issue I had was the police or Someone taking my gabage at 3 am the next day HMMMM? Still curious on that one oh well the last laugh is mine lots of dirty diapers LOL

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ron are ya tryin to say they were dirty loads??
Any bambi's meet cupid over the weekend?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well it was way to hot out there for me and the deer I did take alot of photo's did not harvest any venison, yet still early in the season. I had a button buck at my stand for hours it was fun I was talking to him and he was just as lost as could be wish I could of video taped it ....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Did ya tell him you needed to talk to his daddy and granddaddy?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They FedEx was funny first call got a girl I think Tammy said no problem take to any FedEx station mark and ship. Then called my usaull shipper and they called me back and said no. Called FedEx again Got some Dick Told only to FFL and I said I am on the ATF Web site and is Say's nothing of that we argued for five minutes and then he said to FFL thru hub only company police

But any how I sent some car parts to VA. Yesterday :wink:

Better Luck this weekend Ron cooling quite rapidly today :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm not saying to do this but if its just a few rounds, not like a thousand.

Pack 'em tight in a fedex box, use the self service box and pay using a money order (one without a place for your name). Don't mark it ORM-D nor put a return address.

But that'd be against DOT and FedEx regulations so I don't advise doing it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i am a certified hazardous materials shipper. i can ship anything from a .22 cartridge to a nuclear device to a tankerful of gasoline. 50 rounds of pistol cal ammo doesnt even need a certificate to ship. hell, that quantity isnt even listed for packaging requirements. :p

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
ORM-D is all that is needed. Never mark it as ammo. Bite the bullet and take it to a UPS hub. It is not considered hazardous materials. FEDEX to an FFL is thier policy, not law. You the shipper are responsible for the package till it reaches it destination. If you do not mark the box, and it is discovered, you will be in court. If you ship it to someone/somewhere that it is prohibited, or they lie about being legal, you are at fault, the shipper. Pictured ID is just a protection that companies use to be 100% legal and gives them an aliby. A C&R 03ffl is just as good as a valid pictured ID. Usually an adult signature is required to recieve it, any adult.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
strykar said:
i am a certified hazardous materials shipper. i can ship anything from a .22 cartridge to a nuclear device to a tankerful of gasoline. 50 rounds of pistol cal ammo doesnt even need a certificate to ship. hell, that quantity isnt even listed for packaging requirements. :p

Neither does 15,000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
einheit 13 said:
Usually an adult signature is required to recieve it, any adult.
With the key word being Usually. My local UPS guy/gal has no problem with leaving ORM-D packages on my front porch. Smokeless powder? Well, that's a different story...

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
R/T Performance said:
Any idae is thier an extra charge for package marked orm-d?

No, It should go by weight. I shipped a 17lb Norton tank and it was a few cents cheaper then 18.5lbs of ammo I sent the following week, both sent to my brother.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts