Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a bit off-topic for this forum, but I'm looking at an inexpensive carry gun for the wife and am thinking about the Bersa Thunder series, either 9mm or .380. I think anything more than that and she'd be too timid to pull the trigger! I'm also semi-contemplating their .45 compact for carry situations where the occasion calls for something a little smaller than my XD Tactical.

Has anyone ever owned or shot these? What are your thoughts on them if you have? I'm looking mostly at reliability and accuracy. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Well, the 380 is a great choice for her.

Whatever you choose, you must get her to the range, and she must really like the gun... and I mean "REALLY LIKE IT" because if she doesn't she will never draw and fire the weapon if she doesn't.

It took me a LONG LONG LONG time to get my wife to carry something she liked, which happened to be a Bersa 380 as well.

Get her to the range, drill it in her head...... make it "FUN" for her to shoot.

I bought a 24 pack of cheapie cola in cans........ took them to the range and shook them up and then set them up.

My wife LOVED it watching them explode when she shot them.......

Now she's asking when she can explode some more soda cans....... guess what.... I got her..... she's hooked and will use the gun now.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! My wife doesn't know I'm buying it for her. She doesn't know I'm buying more guns right now at all. I'm the type of guy that likes to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. If things go south in this country when it comes to the 2nd amendment, the first two things they commies will go after are ultra-compact pistols and those bad, evil "assault" rifles. If the liberals were serious about they'd outlaw automobiles, or at least Ted Kennedy driving automobiles. Drunk drivers kill more people than law-abiding gun owners.

So needless to say, I'm in the marked for a Bersa .380 and possibly the Bersa .45. Besides, I can sneak them into the gun safe, and down the road when the wife says, "When did you get those?" I can say, "Those old things? They've been there forever!"

·
Premium Member
127,781 Posts
My back up gun (BUG) is a Bersa .380 that works flawlessly. I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Bersa Thunder .380. Got one (as you see in my sig line) and we love it. Bought it for my wife...And I fell in love with it. Shoots great and the feel in my hand is awesome. Highly reccommend one!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've had Bersa 380s. The regular Thunder and the 15-shot version. They both work fine. Like most guns there is a break-in period. Use a snap-cap and dry fire it 2 or 300 times. Trigger is pretty decent after that.
They must be used DA/SA because the safety is only a decocker. Gun is generally reliable and customer service is good...a very important point.
The drawback is size. Even the CC version is not all that small. These are basically holster guns...NOT pocket guns. Carrying can be very good in an IWB sort of holster.
Good guns but a Kel-Tec pocket model is MUCH easier to conceal. You might consider the 32 version for a recoil-shy beginner. It's still much better than a 25.
I've never had a Bersa 45 but their reputation is good.
You might want to look at bersatalk.com to see what owners say and the issues they have. Generally they give a lot of gun for little money.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Also, I have just started carrying this as a BUG for myself..... after firing this thing at the range at 7 yards........ it's awesome........

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know this is a bit off-topic for this forum, but I'm looking at an inexpensive carry gun for the wife and am thinking about the Bersa Thunder series, either 9mm or .380. I think anything more than that and she'd be too timid to pull the trigger! I'm also semi-contemplating their .45 compact for carry situations where the occasion calls for something a little smaller than my XD Tactical.

Has anyone ever owned or shot these? What are your thoughts on them if you have? I'm looking mostly at reliability and accuracy. Thanks!
I can't speak to, or for, a Bersa; however, if you run across a Sig P-230 or 232, give it a look. That's one fine CCW for man or woman. I love mine almost as I love my 1911's and Xd's. Hmmm, I guess I love all my guns. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're REALLY into buying guns and getting her to shoot a lot you might throw in a Bersa/Firestorm 22. :D
Yup, a .22 is in the works as well. I figure take her in baby steps. I got her to shoot with me once about 4 years ago. She shot 1 round out of the Colt Commander Light-Weight I owned at the time, and hit the target dead on, but the .45 was a little too much for her. :twisted: After that she went back to the .22 revolver I had borrowed from my father. She liked that, and that's probably where I would want to start with her.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My wife owns a Bersa Thunder .380 and I love it... ERRR 1 I ment to say she loves it. Reliable and incredibly accurate, never had a problem. She uses Remington Golder Saber 102 grain for SD ammo and also likes the CorBon DPX which is an awesome bullet in the .380 caliber. My wife is very small and handles the Bersa with no problems. She doesn't care much for my XD40SC or my XD45C but has shot them enough to be able to use either one if need be but still prefers her Bersa over either of my XDs. I highly recommend the Bersa Thunder .380 and thinking of getting one for myself. I noticed at Academy Sports in Pensacola that they are now going for $279.00, it doesn't seem to long ago they were asking $249.00. I have to say they are worth the $279.00 and maybe Santa will leave me one under the tree. What was that Honey, take the garbage out and walk the dog yes dear right away dear. Ha Ha Ha

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife owns a Bersa Thunder .380 and I love it... ERRR 1 I ment to say she loves it. Reliable and incredibly accurate, never had a problem. She uses Remington Golder Saber 102 grain for SD ammo and also likes the CorBon DPX which is an awesome bullet in the .380 caliber. My wife is very small and handles the Bersa with no problems. She doesn't care much for my XD40SC or my XD45C but has shot them enough to be able to use either one if need be but still prefers her Bersa over either of my XDs. I highly recommend the Bersa Thunder .380 and thinking of getting one for myself. I noticed at Academy Sports in Pensacola that they are now going for $279.00, it doesn't seem to long ago they were asking $249.00. I have to say they are worth the $279.00 and maybe Santa will leave me one under the tree. What was that Honey, take the garbage out and walk the dog yes dear right away dear. Ha Ha Ha

There was one on GunBroker that just went for a buy now price of $219. I'm hoping to get that kinda price in store. If I get $269 for one, that wouldn't be much different from the $219 GunBroker price, figuring in the $25 shipping and $25 FFL transfer.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I have the .380 CC and it's been flawless for 400 rounds. I use it for more "dress" occasions. It could be a pocket gun but you would need big pockets.

The Bersa's like to be kept clean so I go through it after every range trip. The DA/SA trigger is just loosening up at 400 rounds, before that it was pretty heavy and long. It's a great gun for the money and accurate out to 10 yards max, the small sights make it difficult after that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 2 Bersa 380's and both have been 100% reliable with many rounds down the pipe. They're also "fun" to shoot, as compared to the KelTec or LCP, which has a bite.

Only my opinion, and I'm sticking to it :smile:

MJ

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
i dig my Bersa .380.. ammo's friggin expensive for it though lol, a box of 100 .380 is actually more than 100 rounds of .45 (by a few dollars, but still..)

my bersa's great, though the last time i went to the range it was hanging up on the last round in the mag.. i'm thinking mag spring change time.

cheers

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I've got a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45 it's pretty darn awesome and has great ergonomics. The slide is EXTREMELY easy to cycle and the trigger is pretty great too but a bit of a reach in DA mode so you might want her to try one on to see if she can reach it easily. It's almost the exact same size as an XD-45Compact but SEEMS much smaller.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Alright, another thought, the Ruger LCP? It's price is cheaper, and it's US made.
I love my Ruger LCP, just sent it back for the recall.
But it kicks like a mule.
The Bersa is heavier and probably a better choice to the missus to shoot.
And as much as I think they are ugly, I'm considering trying a Sig P232.
I love my Sigs and don't really like the looks of the P232, but I think I might try one for the wife.
I bought her a S&W 642, she hated the heavy trigger and the +p loads I wanted her to keep in it.
Ended up selling it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
sweet gun point and shoot !!! i got one a year ago for my wife 199.00 and have seen them go up in price around 249.00 at loco shops in texas,good luck!!:cool: also my 13 yr.old girl loves it she's shot it more than my wife!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
As others have said, excellent gun but expensive ammo (380).

A lady friend of mine has one.....all I can say is I'm glad I'm standing behind her when she shoots, she drills whatever is on the target board, & the view is much better from there too! ;):D

She is a new shooter & likes the simplicity of the gun. It does recoil a bit because it is a blowback design, but it is very managable and pleasant to shoot. There have been no malfunctions with her gun through several hundred round$.

Get the .22 for sure, very inexpensive practice & if you get the Bersa .22 then she has a similar gun to practice with. Just get her to shoot a couple of mags in the bigger caliber after using the .22 so she gets used to it.

Oh, and you are right on target....this is the Non XD, Other Gun room!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts