Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Nah, I already have a 9mm with the wonderful Belgian Hi-power and sorry...there ain't no XD9 that would ever replace that pistol in my collection.

I bought the XD-40. Why? because there was not an XD in 45ACP, otherwise, the XD-40 would have never darkened my door.

I was a bit hesitant after hearing stories of how the 40SW was not accurate and a problem feeder, but 500+ rounds later and it puts bullets where I want them and has never jammed once.

Hard to hate the XD-40. No remorse.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got an XD40 Bi-Tone. No regrets. The bigger the better. Now that the 45 Gap is available I'll prbably get one of those too.

As far as ammo. http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=CC&prodID=CC5200 Here is 9mm Blazer Brass for $5.25/box. 40S&W either 165gr fmj or 180gr fmj for $7.49/box. And if you don't care about the brass, then you can get 9mm for $4.77/box on 40SW for $6.99/box. http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=specials&category=42&src=ba221 Not bad prices.
[/url]

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have an XD45 and had a bit of buyers remorse and thought i should have bought a 9mm and sometimes I still think that way but when I shoot my .45, it's just a ton of a fun and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Plinkomatic said:
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

9 blows. Dated and poor round.
Don't be swayed by it's popularity. It's a hole maker, not a BG stopper.
Over penetrates with inadequate energy.
You made the right choice.
Wow, That's some ignorant ass **** right there.

Pick the calibers out. Come on you know you can tell them apart.

Image from DocGKR:

For those of you that would rather not get the gospel from me, or the gun store commando that posted above.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactical.htm

Go there are start reading. All any pistol bullet does is poke a hole. As long as the hole is deep enough and the bullet properly expanded, and most importantly you hit the guy some where important you win.

Any one who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

Chris (your local helpful forum troll)

·
Registered
107 Posts
crofrog said:
Plinkomatic said:
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

Image from DocGKR:

For those of you that would rather not get the gospel from me, or the gun store commando that posted above.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactical.htm

Go there are start reading. All any pistol bullet does is poke a hole. As long as the hole is deep enough and the bullet properly expanded, and most importantly you hit the guy some where important you win.

I agree, that was a pretty ignorant comment from someone who obviously doesn't know much about ballistics. There is a very small difference in ballistics in the major calibers(9mm to .45ACP). 9mm more than gets the job done. I dare anyone to step in front of a 9mm round.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
1st I think he's just ignorant. He's stuck on one caliber and thinks it's the best. There are tons of people that are that way. I have a bersa .380 and tons of guys have told me it's a worthless carry gun. Tell you what I'd hate to be shot by one.

2nd. I think the 9mm is a great caliber and the .40 too. Actually anything that shoots a bullet I'm a fan off. I mean I love my 9mm hs2000 but my first pistol was ruger p90. I loved it, I shot it great, plus it left a nice big wound in anything you shot.

You'll always have someone that is caliber ignorant. If I buy a gun and I like another caliber more that just makes it where I have to go buy another gun. To me there are no bad guns. Just bad people.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm totally biased, but not ignorant.
My opinion is my opinion, good for me, and I thank the admins of xdtalk for giving us this forum (and bandwidth, etc.) to voice such things.
Thank god we live in America where we can have and vocalize our opinions about anything. Maybe I'm bitter that I have to spend an extra $35 for every 1000 rounds, maybe I've had bad experiences with 9mm (the sigma, 1st glock...).
Anyway, those of you who got a .40 and have 9mm remorse, I say you have nothing to regret. Nothing, unless you were willing to ante up for the 45gap ammo costs, then we're in the same boat.
Regarding ballistics, um, I won't go into details, but I know a bit.
Personally, my first choice would be to engage any potential BG in a game of chess or offer coffee, but regrettably it would be more like seven rounds of 12 gauge Hornady Tap in their ass (although I understand you aren't supposed to shoot them anymore if they are already dead...).
And on a whole different level, I mostly shoot because I enjoy the sport. Getting better, more accurate, faster, smoother.... Godforbid I need to use my firearm skills in a defensive fashion, nonetheless, I'm as prepared as I can be, and keep working on my skills and knowledge. Classes, lots of rounds, reading, studying ammo, etc.
But I'm not really a tactical junky, I'm much more a Creedmore and Sporting Clays dork, which is reflected in my caliber choices (non-xdtalk). The vibe at silhouette matches is alot cooler than at the general range. I'd rather hang with my reloading buddies than the dude with way too much gear in full camo from my tactical class. And I'm (comparatively) a terrible shot- shooting with guys who eclipse my skill is a great challenge... and someday I hope to compete at their level. I'm so unhip in Shooterville that I'd be way more excited about a Walther KSP 200 than a tricked out Bushmaster.
So says my .223 cents.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Plinkomatic said:
I'm totally biased, but not ignorant.
My opinion is my opinion, good for me, and I thank the admins of xdtalk for giving us this forum (and bandwidth, etc.) to voice such things.
Execpt for the fact that it's verifiably wrong.

Regarding ballistics, um, I won't go into details, but I know a bit.
If you knew anything of wound ballistics. You're opinion wouldn't be anything like what your opinion is.

Personally, my first choice would be to engage any potential BG in a game of chess or offer coffee, but regrettably it would be more like seven rounds of 12 gauge Hornady Tap in their ass (although I understand you aren't supposed to shoot them anymore if they are already dead...).
I've heard the ass is a poor target :p. I'd personally try for the upper chest and the brain box around the eye's. That being said, once there dead why not shoot them a few more times. Got to make sure.
:D

If you like the .40 cause you like the .40 that's cool. It's just the reasons you used to justify liking the .40 are rubbish.

Chris (everybody's favorite local forum troll)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I do have caliber remorse. I really wish I would have gone with the 9mm, especially on the XDSC. I'm such a tard. I had the conversion barrel for the XD40 to 9mm but for some odd reason, the fact that my slide said XD40 and my barrel said 9mm conversion on it really bugged me. Plus, its often been said that conversion barrels are good for plinking but not for Self Defense. That really threw me off so I just sold the barrel and stuck with the 40. Ballistically, both the 9mm and 40SW premium rounds are close enough for me. The 9mm XDSC and the 40SW XDSC have quite a bit of recoil difference, IMHO. My hands can't take more than 200 rounds from the 40SW XDSC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My remorse over choosing the .40 is subsiding as range time approaches. I found the UMC and WWB Value Packs in JHP, no less, as well as CCI Blazer Brass @ $8/50 (ugly stuff, btw) and I'm going back to why I chose the 40 in the first place a) never owned a gun in 40 S&W and b) 9mm isn't all that FUN to shoot, IMO. But at the time I preferred the .45 ACP and .44 mag., both more enjoyable or satisfying. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but the .44 mag was a Ruger Blackhawk, not bad at all.

I'm taking PMC, UMC, and WWB 50 rd. boxes to the range, all 180 gr. Depending on how the Remington or Winchester do, I'll use that brand's cheaper 180 gr. JHPs next time, both offered in Bonus Packs and go from there.

I asked this on another thread but what's recommended for drifting sights while at the range? Pay by the hour so something efficient, lol. :wink

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Plinkomatic said:
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

With all due respect Plinkomatic, opinions are expected and respected here. However...It is how they are represented that makes all of the difference.
Your statement..."It's a hole maker, not a BG stopper" is pure hyperbole and categorically wrong, and you know it. The 9mm have put more folks down and in the ground than the .40 ever will. If for no other reason...it's longevity. An argument can be made that it is overall a better defensive round, but those here that argue either side base there arguments on written material rather than real-time experience. Everyone is an armchair pistolero. A well place placed 9mm. State of the art defense round will do the job…Period!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Frenchy said:
Plinkomatic said:
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

With all due respect Plinkomatic, opinions are expected and respected here. However...It is how they are represented that makes all of the difference.
Your statement..."It's a hole maker, not a BG stopper" is pure hyperbole and categorically wrong, and you know it. The 9mm have put more folks down and in the ground than the .40 ever will. If for no other reason...it's longevity. An argument can be made that it is overall a better defensive round, but those here that argue either side base there arguments on written material rather than real-time experience. Everyone is an armchair pistolero. A well place placed 9mm. State of the art defense round will do the job…Period!
I'd argue a well placed anything will do the job... That being said, better bullets give you more wiggle room. The difference between .22lr and a 9mm is substational. The difference between 9mm - .45ACP/GAP is hardly perceptible.

Chris(local forum troll extrodinare)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
crofrog said:
Plinkomatic said:
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

Image from DocGKR:
:snip:

:snip

i dont care what other people say about you... you know a few things, i can tell.

who said you were a troll?

o... and well said on the quote above.

·
Registered
81 Posts
therooster said:
i dont care what other people say about you... you know a few things, i can tell.
No I really don't. :) I'm to the point where I might know how much I don't know. I'm just an obsessive compullsive researcher. I just don't say anything when I have no clue about something.

who said you were a troll?
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27414

I think it starts around page 2 or 3.

o... and well said on the quote above.
Thanks.

Chris (I'm the best forum troll ever, and I think I'm god's gift to um... something.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have some caliber remorse with my XD-9 service. Not due to the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of the 9mm round. A XD in 40 can use 9mm and 357sig barrels, which makes it very flexible for range work and competition. Basically you can get 3 pistols for the price on one.

And to chime in to the 9mm vs .40 arguement- Modern 9mm HP ammo is highly effective. I trust the 9mm to stop a BG.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Plinkomatic said:
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

You should learn how to shoot.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I didn't read all the replies, but I have NEVER had and regret about my caliber choice. I knew I wanted a 9mm. I won't even get into all the crap I've heard/read about everyone's caliber being superior, and everyone else's being girly or needing 20 shots to stop a BG.

It boils down to personal preference, accuracy w/ your weapon, reliability of your weapon, practice w/ your weapon, and lots of other things. I won't even get into it. Caliber Wars have been around too long. Give it a rest. :evil:

·
Registered
409 Posts
ya, I'm happy with my choice. not at all unhappy with the 9mm, but I reload, and I didn't want to deal with all the mil surplus brass on the marked with the crimp, and the 45 gap, and sig wasn't on the market yet.

anything is cheap to shoot if you have a dillon. bullets for 100 per 2k, and primers for 80$ for 5k. brass is free from a friend on the range, and 8 lbs is 90$...

at 6gr of pdr I figure I'm putting about 10-15 cents a round..

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.