Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new XD-40 on monday...

Wish I had gone with the XD-9 just due to the higher cost/lesser availability of the .40 vs. the 9mm. And seems like not a lot of difference in stopping power, IMO.

Around here, for practice target ammo, nothing but 180 gr. FMJ and can't find the 155-165 gr. in WWB, UMC, or PMC. Or affordable to me right now, JHP. No Bonus Packs, either, lol.

I know, I should have put a little more time in resarching ammo for my new gun. Hopefully, I'll enjoy shooting the .40 more!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ehn, though I haven't even shot my 9mm yet, part of me wonders if it would have been smarter to get a XD40 and then purchase a spare 9mm barrel.

On the flip side, this just gives me a reason to get another one a year or so from now! :roll:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
9mm = euro cop round
40s&w = smart BG stopper

9 blows. Dated and poor round.
Don't be swayed by it's popularity. It's a hole maker, not a BG stopper.
Over penetrates with inadequate energy.
You made the right choice.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've had similar feelings about getting the .40 for my usp.... kinda wish i had a .45 now. But like you said... its a good reason to get ANOTHER one now. And to be quite honest.... i want em all. I'm glad i bought the guns i have... and would like to add to my collection. Unless i bought a gun and it was unforgivably horrible to shoot or problematic, i don't think i'd ever sell or trade... just save a little more before i buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my eyes out for the WWB165 gr. as well as check out conversion barrels but as you might guess, thing's kinda tight right now.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Why not shoot the 180 gr ammo. Its I use!

·
Registered
59 Posts
All the WalMarts I have been in (VA, MD, and PA) have WWB in 50 round boxes of either 180gr JHP or 180gr FMJ and 100 round value packs of 165gr FMJ. They also have UMC 100 round value packs of 180gr JHP, and Blazer Brass 50 round packs of 180gr FMJ.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For everyone that say the 9mm is a poor BG stopper, please stand down range and let someone plug you with a 115 gr CorBon. Get what you shoot good and what you will be able to pratice the most with. I think everyone will agree a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .40.
I have both and I carry a 9mm because that is what I shoot the most.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Don’t feed the pre-pubescent idiot! :roll:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
OK ok ok..
Granted, #1 is to shoot what you are comfortable with.
Accuracy and getting the hit is unquestionably the top priority.
I'm just commenting on ballistics and error margin.
No doubt a perfectly placed .22 will beat the crap out of a miss with a .454 Casull, although indoors with no hearing protection you stand a good chance of doing some sonic damage. To everyone. And if you live in a populated area, 4-8 layers of materials, be it drywall, wood, cars, kevlar, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I thought perhaps I should have gotten then XD9 SC rather than the XD40 Service, but the more I shoot the XD40 the more I like it and am glad I have it for general home / range use.

Also, having the XD40 Service has allowed myself to convince myself (hmm, Austin Powers flashback..) that I can buy a smaller carry gun for everyday use. Right now considering a .380 or small 9mm, including the Kel-tec P3AT and that new gun from the former Kel-tec folks in Florida...

I think people were correct when they warned me that once you buy one gun, more follow it home :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have had the twinge of regret a few time shortly after getting my second XD-40, a Tactical to go with my Service. I kept thinking I should have got the 9mm. Well about three weeks ago I was at a shooting steel match and was having serious issues with my ammo for my XD-40. Bad batch of reloads with several squibs, so I bagged my XD-40 Tactical and finished the match with a friends XD-9 Tactical. Now my XD-40 had a Don's guide rod, 16 pound spring and home made magazine well and his XD-9 was stock but still the XD-9 was not as pleasant to shoot as I had expect it to be. It was a slightly lighter recoil then my XD-40 but I guess I expected the 9mm to be a lot more different compared to my XD-40 than it was. The regrets were never real strong but are now completely gone.

As for ammo, not sure were you are from but I do pretty good with Gander Mountain and Remington UMC 250 rd pack. I can often find a 10% of coupon if I watch the fliers I get in the mailbox. Certainly 40S&W is always going to be a bit more expensive than 9mm but I like the bigger round.

Also there are several places on line and if your lucky you will find a local ammunition remanufacture. I got lucky here in North East Ohio and found a small company called National Bullet. If you take them 1000 empty 40S&W they will sell you 1000 remanufactured 180 grain 40S&W for $122 and change. That works on to be $6.13/50rds. Unfortunately is does not quite make major for competition but is was nice shooting and ran flawless. Look around you might find a similar deal. National bullet does have a website but you will pay slightly more (ie shipping) if you order online.

You could also get into reloading. A press usually pays for itself in a few hundred rounds depending on which model. I had been using a friends Dillon Square Deal press but switching between 40S&W and 45ACP was a PITA so I have asked the "girlfriend with two rings" for a new Dillon 650 for Christmas. Lets hope Santa is feeling generous.

Rambling
mcb[/url]

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i wish i would have gone to 9mm too. ammo is much cheaper than .40 and the 2 rounds have close enough balistics for me. i'm bigger on shot placement and learning to opperate under stress, not round size.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
While I am a solid .40 proponent, there is something to be said for the extra magazine capacity of the 9.
My XD-40 Tactical is almost 2000 rounds old and nary a misfire or ftf. Shooting a variety of WWB, UMC, American Eagle and a few boxes of Tap and Hydroshock (wanted to make sure they feed correctly as the home-d mags are filled with Tap & Hyrdo).
My double taps are better with my .40 than my 9; but the 9 is a Sigma (hunk of crap! do-not-buy!) and is an all around uncomfortable gun compared to my XD.
I'm hoping to get rid the the Sigma (Smegma) soon and get me a Browning Buckmark Target 5.5. I still love getting plinktastic (necco wafers beware!) and while I really really like my Ruger 22/45, the Buckmark is incredibly fun to shoot and amazingly accurate.

rambling...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I kinda wish that I would have gotten a .40, just so I could buy the conversion barrels. However, I think I want a .45 GAP now, so......

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The 45gap is super sweet and has that nice blunt, not-so-snappy recoil, but I found the ammo prices intimidating. Shot it and almost made the move, but went .40 as ammo is really significantly more expensive.
If I have any remorse, it is not getting the 45gap.

OK, i've over posted here and am getting 'Trolly'.

One last note- ajames rules.

ram-ba-ling.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts