Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had problems in the past getting magazines to seat properly if they were full (10) + 1 in chamber. This is an XD9 4" service with about 1500 rounds through it. These are all Springfield magazines.

Saturday in an IDPA match with a tactical reload the slide jammed. I guess this would technically be a failure to feed. Couldn't budge it at all. (Ended up withdrawing and going to gunsmith). I spoke to another guy at the club who also has an XD. He told me to never try to load 10 + 1. He has had same problem. Is this an adjustment issue? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the "+1" doesnt matter... its already in the chamber, it doesnt add any extra perssure.

a full mag on an XD is very stiff and it takes a bit of force to seat it. just slam that bad boy in there and go to town.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slamming that bad boy in is what got me in "trouble" or at least I thought so.

To answer the previous question--gunsmith put the slide in a vice and "forced" the issue. Not sure how he did it because it happened so fast. Cartridge was "swelled" with two large indentations on each side. He took gun apart and pronounced it fit. Said cartridge "swelled" for unknown reason and would not feed. Not sure what exactly on gun caused the indentations. I thought that perhaps I caused it by "slamming it home".

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yeah, actually. If I load a full 15 rounds, I have to make sure to seat the magazine really firmly in the gun, and then there is still a slight slight gap between the magazine pad and the gun. There's no trouble if I load 14.

And, no, I'm not accidentally loading 16....I've unloaded them several times thinking that I did somehow get an extra round in - it's always 15.

Sorry, I can't comment on 10-rounders, since I don't have any.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was a live round.

To answer a previous post: Exact sequence of events leading up to failure. Tactical reload left one round in gun, that round fired and ejected, top round of full magazine failed to feed and jammed slide.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Axemann said:
This was a live round.

To answer a previous post: Exact sequence of events leading up to failure. Tactical reload left one round in gun, that round fired and ejected, top round of full magazine failed to feed and jammed slide.
did you tap rack? if you did, did the "jammed" round come out and did the following round feed properly?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was it a factory round or a reload? I've had similar problems in the past with ammo that I've reloaded for my 45 ACP Kimber. Apparently, I didn't line up the bullet straight enough in the case when I started it in the seating die. This caused a small bulge in the case which made the round jam in the chamber. Fortunately, I was able to eject the round that was only partially chambered without taking it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could not tap rack, could not move slide by hand. Several other people could not move either. Round eventually came out when gunsmith forced the slide.

This was WWB 115 FMJ.

Subsequent to trip to gunsmith, went back to plate range and put about 50 rounds through it without incident.

·
Registered
102 Posts
NMshooter, I have had the same problem loading 45's. The best fix I have found is to run the rounds through a Lee factory crimp die after the bullets are seated. The die crimps and resizes the case removing the bulge. It works great. Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just wild speculation, OK, but, could the round have momentarily wedged as it fed into the chamber, deforming it from the impact of being chambered? If the case got trapped between the chamber and the slide and buckled, it would have probably bulged somewhere and dented in somewhere else, like when you squeeze a pop can to piss off your buddy. (They only do that where I work, right?) Anyway, the case would have been out of round, maybe even bent, and when it was forced into the chamber, it could have been partially reformed by the chamber, but not enough to seat all the way and fire, (gotta love disconnectors). I'd look for odd brass or copper marks around the chamber mouth and inside the slide. I have never used my sub 10+1, and I think I will make a point of not doing so from here on out. In my experience, first and last rounds are most likely to give feeding problems, so maybe there was too much up pressure on the first round in the mag, and it sort of got out of control on the way to the chamber. Makes a good argument for a .357, with the funnel shaped chamber. I hope you figure it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts