1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a direct line to Springfield Armory
senior management?

If so, would you please ask them WHY they haven't
produced a .22LR conversion kit for the XD/XDM pistols?

Or, why they haven't actively collaborated with someone
like Advantage Arms and supported the production of
such a kit?

Thank you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i've often wondered the same, would be wonderfull to practice with the very same trigger for a small fraction of the cost and still have the satisfaction of accualy shooting as opposed to dryfire practice.
I guess it would be a risk of sorts, if the .22 kits had problems and were directly associated with SA it might cast a shadow over the whole xd line even if unwarrented.:confused:

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Go ahead and look up the President on line...send him an email and I guarantee someone will get back to you with an answer.

I've sent SA several email over the years and always received an answer. ( I didn't always like the response, but I got an answer!) ;)

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Presidents of companies don't read incoming email. Write are real letter on paper and mail it to him.

Co-Chairman: Tom Reese
Co-Chairman and CEO: Dennis (Denny) Reese
Springfield Armory, Inc.
420 W. Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Delayed, delayed again, delayed again, and then dropped from the production line. They said they didn't have enough resources to pursue production of the XD kit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wonder if a .22lr would have enough oomph to cycle the slide on my 40sc. That spring's wicked heavy.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Presidents of companies don't read incoming email. Write are real letter on paper and mail it to him.

Co-Chairman: Tom Reese
Co-Chairman and CEO: Dennis (Denny) Reese
Springfield Armory, Inc.
420 W. Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
Maybe not, but Dennis Reese at least forwards them to his mignons!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
370 Posts
My guess is that SA themselves might gearing up for a .22 non-conversion model (a la Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, etc), but that doesn't explain why no one else who makes conversion kits wants to bother with the XD platform.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Like all .22LR conversions, the top-end is the easy part. It is the magazines that is the bear. You can spend $50k+ designing and perfecting such a product. With $50k layed out for R&D and a retail cost of $200, you need to sell 416 (40% off of retail estimated) kit before you starting making a dime on your investment. This is the reason for the delay from any manufacturer.

Are there 418 people willing to purchase such an item? Maybe.

OS

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Like all .22LR conversions, the top-end is the easy part. It is the magazines that is the bear. You can spend $50k+ designing and perfecting such a product. With $50k layed out for R&D and a retail cost of $200, you need to sell 416 (40% off of retail estimated) kit before you starting making a dime on your investment. This is the reason for the delay from any manufacturer.

Are there 418 people willing to purchase such an item? Maybe.

OS
I don't know about anyone else, but I'll buy one as soon as one comes out and I've saved the cash.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is hard enough to design a magazine for 22s that will fit in a standard 1911 magazine well. With the XD you have to design a magazine that is twice as wide and works reliably. Magazine reliability has been a problem with nearly all conversion kits.

Something else to think about is what it will end up costing to shoot the gun. Most 22 pistols don't work reliably with anything other than high performance ammo, which isn't that cheap. This is bad enough if the magazine only holds 10 rounds. I would suspect a 22 magazine to fit in an XD45 well would probably hold at least 25 rounds. With that kind of capacity you are going to be shooting the cost equivalent of a box of .45 ammo almost every time you go to the range unless you are willing to just shoot two or three magazine loads and call it a day. I guess though it is easier to justify $15 to $20 for around 500 rounds 22 ammo than the cost for the same amount of .45 ammo. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
It is hard enough to design a magazine for 22s that will fit in a standard 1911 magazine well. With the XD you have to design a magazine that is twice as wide and works reliably. Magazine reliability has been a problem with nearly all conversion kits.

Something else to think about is what it will end up costing to shoot the gun. Most 22 pistols don't work reliably with anything other than high performance ammo, which isn't that cheap. This is bad enough if the magazine only holds 10 rounds. I would suspect a 22 magazine to fit in an XD45 well would probably hold at least 25 rounds. With that kind of capacity you are going to be shooting the cost equivalent of a box of .45 ammo almost every time you go to the range unless you are willing to just shoot two or three magazine loads and call it a day. I guess though it is easier to justify $15 to $20 for around 500 rounds 22 ammo than the cost for the same amount of .45 ammo. :rolleyes:
Designing the magazine is actually very simple. It only needs to be a single stack and that has been done so often it's laughable to say that it's difficult.

My brother-in-law has a Walther P22 and it eats any ammo you want to put in it, so the idea that .22 caliber autos don't work well unless you use high quality ammo is also misleading.

As for the cost of the ammo, you can buy 1000 rounds of .45 ACP ammo for $314.99 ($0.315 per round) and you can buy 1000 rounds of .22lr ammo for $99.90 ($0.0999 per round). That means you can practice the essentials of your trigger squeeze and grip 3.15 times more for the same cost. Prices found here.

In other words, if the .22lr conversion costs $430.18 it would be paid for in 2000 rounds.

I'd say that makes a .22lr conversion a heck of a deal.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I guess though it is easier to justify $15 to $20 for around 500 rounds 22 ammo than the cost for the same amount of .45 ammo. :rolleyes:
I get CCI Mini Mags for $5 a hundred at a local store when they are on sale. I have yet to find ANY 9mm, .40, or 45ACP for anywhere close to that price. If you have a source were I can get .45ACP for $0.05 a round please share it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts