Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...after owning and heavily shooting my old XD-40 Service, the parkerization or whatever the thin black stuff they put on the slide, is just about gone on all edges. It actually wore off quite a while ago but it now looks MUCH worse and I need to do something about it.

I was considering Duracoat, but we did this to my daughter's 10-22 and it has started wearing pretty soon after.

I have heard that Cerakote was stronger and there is a very XD-sayy smith in my area, that wants 70 bucks to Cerakote the slide on my old XD-40. Mine is an OD green framed version and I think I just want the slide back to its flat black....no funky colors.

So...has anybody had experience with Creakote on the XD slides? Does it hold up well? I know there are NP3 and other coatings out there but they are expensive and require shipping the slide (more expense).

I usually carry the XD-40 in a leather pancake styled OWB holster...never kydex or anything hard.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brickboy240

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Hey newbie there's a search feature!

Aww sorry man thought you was someone else! :p

I've been reading up on the cerakote and ionbonds. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. And I'm sure pros here can answer your questions.

I think one of those roberts trade in berettas would be pretty sweet with the diamond black ionbond.

·
Registered
304 Posts
is cerakote like tenifer?
kinda like a paint on lube :confused:

edit sorry. what is the stuff they coat the metal with inside. not the parkarize stuff. the new stuff

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had my XD9 slide done by Springer Precision. It's held up nicely, so far. Went through 600 rounds and wear and tear of an advanced CPL class. No noticeable holster wear. I did put a small scratch in the coating doing one handed slide manipulation on my belt, but it held up better than I expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts