Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my XD-Tactical .40 over a year ago. I have been 100% satisfied with everything about this weapon. No operational problems no rust problems. I bought this before Ohio had CCW permits. I just got my CCW and was wondering if and how anyone carries their Tactical model concealed. As you know, the Tactical model is a full sized handgun. What are some good ways to carry this concealed? I have been considering possibly buying the Service model for a CCW. Is this neccessary? What would you all reccommend? :roll:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I recomend cutting 2 inches off the barrel and an inch and a half off the grip, then the tac will carry just fine...

JUST KIDDING,

I carried the service for a while and found it to be to bulky, so I got the sub, and I like it. if you are going to spend money on another one, get the sub. or if you have a bunch of money buy one of each,

my sub with grip extentions works great, highly recomended....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a .40 Tactical I would like to carry myself. If you plan on carrying it CCW you will probably have to go with a good shoulder holster. Do like the Feds and the Gangsters did back in the 30's. They carried those big ol' .45's all day long like that. Of course most were wearing suit jackets to help cover the equipment.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I carry my Tactical .40 with a Tucker gun leather "Answer" holster. It conceals good for it's size. my only gripe is that the grip is bulky but it's the same as the 4". It is also pretty heavy on me as I'm 6'3" and 182 lbs. and have a slim waist. I carry it with 12+1 & a second 12 rounder on my left hip. It may be big but what can't you handle with that kind of firepower? :wink: I'm like you though as I did not buy this gun for carry, and if I knew I would be carrying I would just have gotten the subby. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't see why it would make much of a difference. The 5" is an inch longer (Captain obvious here) but that added length will be inside your waistband... if you choose a sub, then your three inch barrel will be inside your waistband. Either way, the only thing sticking out of your waistband will be the grip. The Sub does have a shorter grip length, but when you add the HI-CAP mag with the extension, I think it is pretty much the same.

If you are a person with a small frame, I think the sub without the HI-CAP mag extension might be a good way to go. If you are of larger, or medium build, any of the three will serve you just fine.

Oh, and buy a .38.. I just did, and it is tiny in comparison, but I am having a hard time finding a holster I like.

Raymond

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do not think the barrel will be the problem as many carry full size 1911's with little or no trouble. If the grip is your headache, you can always have it cut down to SC size and then use SC magazines. I had a service 9mm grip cut to a SC size and "for me" it is good to go. Do a search for cut down service or my screen name, EME, and you will find pictures and info. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Hey eJake19, you had me rolling on the floor :lol: , but I'm not quite ready to getting my haxsaw out and performing Xtreme modifications on my XD yet! :shock: I have picked up an elastic, wrap around, velcro holster at a gun show. You all have probably seen them. It may be one of the best ways to carry the tactical. It distributes the weight well. I'm just not comfortable reaching in through my shirt and pulling this dude out through the collar area of my shirt or up from the bottom of a shirt tail hanging out. Maybe with a little more practice it will become second nature. What you guys are suposed to say is; No you can''t use that Tactical for CCW, save it for home defense and target shooting; you definitely need another handgun or two! :wink:

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
go compare the sub with the service first. by the time you add the magazine extension to get your whole hand on the grip you almost have a service model.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depends a great deal on your body/frame size. For example...I am 6'6" and have plenty of "real estate". I usually carry a full size 1911 w/o a problem. But if you are 5'5" 130 lbs....you might need a smaller piece.

Remember, if you can't carry the tac fully concealed, comfortably, safely, and with easy access/draw, you may need to invest in another piece.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I carry the XD-9 tactical. I use galco's leather fletcher model.It rides pretty high. I always wear a open shirt with a t-shirt tucked. To me it feels comfy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Captain Ray said:
I don't see why it would make much of a difference. The 5" is an inch longer (Captain obvious here) but that added length will be inside your waistband... if you choose a sub, then your three inch barrel will be inside your waistband. Either way, the only thing sticking out of your waistband will be the grip. The Sub does have a shorter grip length, but when you add the HI-CAP mag with the extension, I think it is pretty much the same.

If you are a person with a small frame, I think the sub without the HI-CAP mag extension might be a good way to go. If you are of larger, or medium build, any of the three will serve you just fine.

Oh, and buy a .38.. I just did, and it is tiny in comparison, but I am having a hard time finding a holster I like.

Raymond
look on highnoonholsters.com they have good selection of taurus stuff.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ill take a look 3rdXthecharm... I don't have any money left, so I have time to look around some.

Raymond

1 - 12 of 12 Posts