Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm think of getting this to carry also, as a pocket gun, I like made in USA and lifetime warranty, just don't know alot about their quality, ie trigger and reliability, thanks for the advice in advance!

Charter Mag Pug #13520

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought about getting one but heard alot of negative things about the quality. In the same price range is Taurus. I ended up getting a Smith for not a little more money. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
I owned one. A Stainless Undercover, shaved hammer. It was a terrible gun. It had lockup problems. It would shave jacketing and lead and throw into my face.

It went to Charter a handful of times, and came back not fixed. Like it was never even touched by their repair team. I dumped it quickly.

I now carry a Smith and Wesson J-Frame when I go for a revolver.

BTW, BukWild, I do not get my jollies off on making comments about guns that I know nothing about. This was first hand experience with one gun of theirs. Take it for what it is.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have not owned a charter arms before but I just purchased a 638 Smith & Wesson. What a great conceal carry .38.

I would suggest looking at the Smith & Wesson 442 or 638 or you may want to check out Taurus 85.

I checked all of these out and found the 638 airweight to be the best for me. I plan on using it for lighter carry days and/or backup to my 9mm.

The Taurus and Smith & Wesson cost more but I believe in spending more on something so important. You get what you pay for.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
I found an in-state Smith model 38 pre-lock for $300. Just watch for a good deal on a used Smith.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i also have a s&w 638 and love it, always carry in a uncle mikes pocket holster. though i do think the finish wears easily, especially the frame and wish i got it in black. but its got a life time warranty, im happy.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
When my dad was looking for an inexpensive CCW piece he looked at them...then ended up buying a Taurus.

Buy a used S&W J-frame .38. You can get them for good deals 'cause most folks want .357s right now.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't really want a .38, prefer .357.
I've been told by gun shops, that the probs with them were a few years back and they are VERY reliable guns...

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Don't want to patronize, but have you shot a .357 snub yet? Don't assume you need a .357 until you've shot it and are comfortable with it.

If you are familiar with it, by all means go for it. But a strong .38 load is more than enough for me in an alloy-framed 5 shot J-frame. I wouldn't want to shoot .357's out of the same platform.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I've got a buddy at work who is the only person I've ever seen who can control a full-auto M-14. He's got one of those ultra-light S&W .357s built out of youcantafforditium. I was there when he shot it for the first time. He stoked it up with factory .357s and let her rip.

He got three shots off before he put it down. I called him a derogatory name for female genetalia and picked it up. I shot the last two rounds and told him what he could do with that thing.

He now carries it loaded with +P .38s and its still not much fun to shoot. Moral of the story is: find one and shoot it before you buy it.

Your macho side may say you can do it, but reality sets in awful fast when you start pulling the trigger. If it hurts to shoot it, you won't practice with it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've had a Charter Arms "off duty" for many years, never have had any problems with it

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't want to patronize, but have you shot a .357 snub yet? Don't assume you need a .357 until you've shot it and are comfortable with it.

If you are familiar with it, by all means go for it. But a strong .38 load is more than enough for me in an alloy-framed 5 shot J-frame. I wouldn't want to shoot .357's out of the same platform.
No patronizing taken, the link I provided above was for a 'stainless' .357, not the light weight material jobbers. I have a fair amount of experience with .357, so, it doesn't scare me. I have been doing alot of research, and I don't know that I have that much confidence in 5 shot of .38 doing the job needed. They have a low velocity, which translates to all these jacketed hollow-points not opening like they should, as a matter of fact one gentleman said the best thing to carry would be wad-cutters! But I do believe a nice lead hollow-point may possibly do the trick.
I know the .357 can be just a bit peppy:shock:, but I also know it will do it's job and then some. Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming ya'll!

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Yup, agreed on the choice of loads in .38 -- that's why I carry Buffalo Bore low-pressure loads made specifically for alloy snubbies. Should pack a decent wallop at spitting distance.

If you're comfortable with the .357 (and you're right, steel frame will help), then it's definnitely a superior choice.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I think I've settled on a revolver...
It's a Taurus 850. It has a VERY smooth crisp trigger for a DAO
gun, and the price is right, 359.99. It is a .38, so I changed my mind there,
but I believe I will carry wad-cutters or un jacketed hollow points.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My opinion... get a RugerSP101. Small enough to conceal and tough enough to last forever. Only slightly more money than the Taurus you quoted. I haven't had luck with Taurus. Ruger gets my vote. And even with it's heft, a full bore .357 load gets your attention. I've been shooting it A LOT lately. Lots of 38 wadcutters on up to thunder and lighting 357's.
It is my opinion that the 357 round held the most one shot stops due to the fact that the muzzle blast gives the bad guys a heart attack. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts