Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as I could get a couple of pounds…it's the only powder I've found yet for handguns.

I'm a brand new reloader (actually will buy my Dillon 550 next week), and have been trying to source powder for a while.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
If it's all you can find, it's all you can find. For Higher pressure loads in 9mm and .40 S&W, powders with medium to medium slow burn rates are best. Even for target loads in the case of True Blue and it is a spherical powder vs. Red Dot being a flake powder that's a lot lower in bulk density. Since powder measures work by gravity, spherical types with good bulk density are always the better choice for metering and especially a good idea for progressive presses like the Dillon 550. Sphericals from N330 down to LongShot on Hodgdon's burn rate chart also tend to have greater pressure stability compared to their flake counterparts. True Blue is the powder to beat here, if you can find it, but you'll get good loads with all of the sphericals in this category along with better metering of the powder. I also use Silhouette for defense loads and there's a new powder that's very similar called CFE Pistol. Because it's relatively new it seems that more reloaders are able to find it. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 57K…I know I still have a lot to learn, but I'm a hands on type of learner and would at least like to start loading a few rounds on a 'known' 9mm powder and then deepen my understanding from there (I've been reading and learning the basic process for 2+ years, but know I have a lot more to know like burn rates, powder types, etc).

I'm gonna keep looking for a bit, and I'll keep my eye out for CFE pistol.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
There is a lot of good load data for red dot, so your good to go. However for a new reloader you would have been better off for safety reasons to have started with a single stage press. It's too easy for a new reloader to make mistakes on a progressive.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of good load data for red dot, so your good to go. However for a new reloader you would have been better off for safety reasons to have started with a single stage press. It's too easy for a new reloader to make mistakes on a progressive.
Thanks for the input, but I've seen plenty of the opposite opinion as well. I'm going to go plenty slow, and after as long as I've been researching I'm not really worried about it. The last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of money then be ready for a progressive in 3 or 4 months but not have the money for it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sort of. Just start using it as an inverted turret, load one rd at a time until you figure out the process. This is easy on a 550 because you can index manually. The op made a good choice.
RD works fine in the 9mm. The old Speer #11 has data. Several of te guys I shoot Idpa with are using RD for 9mm, can't get much else right now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sort of. Just start using it as an inverted turret, load one rd at a time until you figure out the process. This is easy on a 550 because you can index manually. The op made a good choice.
RD works fine in the 9mm. The old Speer #11 has data. Several of te guys I shoot Idpa with are using RD for 9mm, can't get much else right now.
Thanks fred…

If I'm reading the responses right, Red Dot being a flake powder, I'll need to make sure the 550's charging correctly because IIRC they don't drop as consistently as the ball powders.

And I'm planning on the 550 essentially being 'single-stage' as you suggested for quite some time until I get used to everything.

I'm still going to see if I can locate any other powders before pulling the trigger, but this might be the best option I can find for now if nothing else is available.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
While you won't be getting the absolute maximum velocity that 9mm can afford with some powders, Red Dot can provide for the low end of factory duplication loads, and certainly enough for "minor" power factor with several bullet types. From reports from others who have used it in the gun games, it is an adequate and sometimes preferred powder for action pistol and target shooting, so you should be able to produce some pretty good and perhaps outstanding loads using it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts