Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bit of advice from somebody that shoots the V-10 ported, either in 9 or 40. I'm looking for a ported weapon for the practical shooting games we have at my gun club. I'm shooting a USP 9 in production for IPSC stuff, and just wanted to try something different in our "house gun" matches. I've shot the XD in 9 and 40 and really like both(4" barrells). I've never shot a ported model, since nobody I know owns one. I've been looking to buy an OD ported V-10 and getting trigger and some other work done at Canyon Creek. But, I'd really like to have the longer barrell (tactical), but, no factory porting is offered :cry: . I've been considering getting an XD40 V-10 and the 5" drop in ported 9mm barrell also. I'm just a bit confused right now, since I'm just getting into the XD stuff, and looking for help. Thanks for any useful advise.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
V10, 9mm. I love it. Everybody who has shot it loves it(short of the missus, flame scares her), light recoil. My 73 yo dad inlaw with permenet disability to his wrists loves it it is so soft. I don't loose sight picture pulling as fast as I can.

A few a talked about getting the 5 inch barrel, porting it l and droppin it into the 4 inch. Don't know if they have done it yet.

Not much help, I know, but I had nothing better to do right now so that is my 1.5 cents

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
My first XD was the V-10 ported in 9mm. I bought it last summer and I was glad to get it, was hoping to find a Tactical in 9mm, but the ported was in the shop so I jumped on it. (Following week the Tactical was in the gunshop and the rest is history)
My first shot was a eye opener for sure :shock: I could definitely feel a small shockwave from the venting gases and it hits you like a blast of air that can be felt on your face and chest. Didn't really realize that the muzzle didn't "flip" as much as a non ported at first, but now that I am getting accustomed to shooting it, the porting does work to keep the muzzle down and your sights stay somewhat on target.
I was thinking of selling the ported a few weeks ago, but I decided against it. My 5 inch barreled Tactical is a ton of fun to shoot also. Both are very accurate and I really don't see one being better than the other. Never had a any issues whatsoever. Shoots Geco, S&B, Winchester White Box, and Wolf ammo.
Have fun, shoot safe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's a great shot to shot accurate gun. Flames are there to scare off sissy's. Adding Don Rod and a #22 spring and it turns into one tight package. I am planning on dropping in a 9mm conversion barrel in for carry purposes. But firing ported in a range is a very fun time!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought an XD-9 V10 for my first handgun. I loved the gun and it does help with muzzle flip. But I didn't care for the extra time you have to put in for maintenance with it. A lot of residue goes back in to the slide of the gun which means more cleaning. I just don't have the time to put in to completely disassembling the gun and cleaning it that often. Another thing I didn't like was the front site would get extremely dirty after a few rounds but there is people here that have found fixes for that.

In the end, I traded it for a the regular model and I love it just as much as the V10. If you have the time to clean it then I say go for it but I didn't have the time to do it so I decided to go with the one that required less maintenance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the V10 40XD and love it. Package: Don's 18&20 spring & Guide Rod both excellent, Pachmyer grip, Magloc magwell, slam pads, armory kote, and my trusty Surefire X200 weapons light. Love the gun, very accurate and very little muzzle flip. You would love the gun if you started shooting it! PM me if you need more info on the weapon. Overkill has one also check his replies on the forum. He has pics also. I base my purchase on his.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys everyone. It sounds like the only two negatives are extra cleaning (I actually enjoy cleaning my weapons), and a dirty front sight (I'll be doing mostly point and shoot practical shooting with it, so that doesn't matter). I really just need it to stay on target for my second quick shot into the "A" box :mrgreen: . The more I look at my options, the more it looks like I'm gonna go with an OD V10!

Now, I'll ask if anybody here has gotten a CC trigger job in the 2-3# range, and what you think of it.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I don't mind taking a few minutes extra to clean, it isnt' so bad really. Also the front sight from the factory is just a white dot and the paint is recessed. I cleaned out the sight and added 2 coats of Birchwood Casey's sight paint. It comes with 2 pens and what I did was add one coat of white, let it dry, a coat of orange, let it dry and then repeat the process again. Now the "well" for the front sight is filled with orange paint and the sight stays visible much longer. If it starts to discolor a quick wipe and it's good again.
I've never seen a green V-10 (only black), but let us know when you get one.
Good luck, shoot safe. :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a XD V10 9mm and for rapid fire at the range it is a great choice. Cleaning it is not a concern. I just spray Break Free all over it and it's done. You can always buy a standard (solid) barrel and drop it in the slide if you want to convert it to a home defense weapon or comply with the rules of a competition.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got a .40 v-10 on order, but have some pointers for you on cleaning and other porting issues (I shoot a Taurus .454 for hunting and whenever I feel the need to punish my hands for something):

1. Get a little jar with an airtight lid, about 4" tall. Put cleaning solvent in it, and dump some toothpicks in it. When you have to clean the ports, just jam a soaked toothpick in the hole and twirl it a bit. They're also good for seams that collect gunk that you can't get to with a patch.

2. Front sight...not sure what to tell you on that count. Never had a soiling issue on my Taurus, but you might look try cutting a few patches into small nibs and pushing them into the dimple of the front sight with one of the toothpicks from #1. As for prevention, I can't think of anything that'd really stop it from collecting soot that wouldn't itself incinerate in the muzzle blast.

3. Don't skimp on ear protection. If you don't already have them, get some earmuffs to go along with the earplugs.

4. NEVER EVER EVER shoot your ported gun from the hip if you have anything even remotely "fuzzy" on (like a wool sweater, the interior lining of your jacket, etc. etc.). You probably won't get hurt, but you sure will get laughed at when you set your clothes on fire.

5. Keep your ammo (and particularly so if stored in flimsy plastic trays from the box) well behind the firing point. Muzzle blast will either throw the tray off the bench when you get down to the last few rounds, or will shred the little tray entirely. This might be something I'm seeing with all the powder I'm burning, but a 9mm could do it, I suppose.

6. I'm sure I'll think of other things to say, but they'll all be recaps of the previous stuff, so I'll stop now.

T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts