Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an opportunity to get one of these things new in box... never used.

It's an old press but, I think back in the early 80's it was the top of the line pistol press.

I saw it today and, I'm deciding on if I want it or not. Apparently back in the late 70's and early 80's it cost almost 700.00 then. It looks indestructible.

It's not the kind that go around in a circle. The ammo goes straight across in a single line... the brass rides in a slot type assembly line... Power brass feeder etc. The guy that has it has three others that are used also. He used to shoot a lot of pistol comp. and, he said that he can show me if I want to see but, he can reload a box of 50 in about 9 minutes.

The drawback that I do see is that once this thing is set up, you really don't want to change die sets alot with it. I may want to get my wife in something different than 45 acp so this may be an issue.....

The good news is that I can get a BRAND NEW press like this for 250.00 with trade of some ammo I can not use anyway. I also called C&H and, I can still get parts for this press if I need to.

Do any of you have experience with this press?

·
Registered
536 Posts
you don't see/hear a lot about them because they're expensive, heavy(I think) and no one knows much about them for the above listed reasons!
That said I almost bought one when I was looking for a progressive press. There are lots on ebay. you're at an advantage since you can see one up close.
I bought the LNL causr I saw it up close and could understand how it worked and how many rounds it could put out.

·
Banned
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, this thing seems indestructible up close. The guy that has this one has like 4 of them. He said that when he was actively shooting a lot of competition pistol that many times, the C&H press was the first place prize in some of the matches.

The only real drawback is that changing calibers will be a royal PITA to accomplish. On the other side of the coin, I seriously doubt I could find a press that will produce ammo faster that this thing already set up with an electric case feeder etc. Once it's set up, I think picking up the brass will take longer that reloading it. :mrgreen:

I'll probably get the thing this week. The guy that has it is at the gunshow over this weekend but will get everything together for me probably tomorrow or tuesday.

I don't know about all the the progressive presses but, this one has a taper crimp die too so, it's a 4 die reloading set, not a 3 die set.

·
Banned
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the other thing about this press is that you're limited to pistol reloading with it. Actually, that won't be a problem for me in that rifle, IMHO, should be done on a single stage press to achieve maximum accuracy. I don't tend to just spray rifle rounds down range. haha It might be an issue for me if I had an AR-15 though since it would be fun to shoot that way. haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts