Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently inherited a blued 6" Ruger Security Six .357 from my grandfather who just passed about a month ago. It is overall in decent shape, it has tight cylinder lockup, trigger is good, and it is a great shooter. I really love the pistol as it was my grandfathers and it matches my dad's Security Six.

The problem is that the blueing had been worn thin from spending a lot of time in a holster and for probably the last ten years it was kept sealed in a leather fleece lined case in his nightstand. The result is a fair amount of surface rust in that area and I want to get it refinished. I want to have it finshed in Isonite QPQ because of how good the Melonite on my XD has been. I also think a low gloss black Security Six with Pacymar rubber grips would look [email protected]$$. This is a gun I plan on using so I want it to have a durable low maintenence finish.

That said has anyone used Coal Creek and their Isonite QPQ? What was your experience like? Does anyone have any recomendations for other places with a melonite type finish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Reblue it, CeraKote, or my favorite (& use professionally for firearms) Moly Resin. Very durable and can easily match colors for what you want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rykko, the Moly Resin finish looks appealing to me. I read up on how it is applied and breifly thought about doing it myself. I'm a body man and a painter by trade, but I work on cars, not guns. I don't want to be one of those guys that thinks they can do a professional grade refinish on his gun because it is "similar" to his profession.

Anybody have any recomendations for where to send a gun for cerakote or moly resin? I live in eastern Washington so I would prefer someplace in the West, but any well recomended place would work. I have not completly decided what finish to go with, but I think any of these new coatings will give greater durability than blueing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts