Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in an order a few weeks ago. I ordered it on Saturday night and had itThursday afternoon.

I’ve worn it a few times with my XDm compact 40. It's going to take sometime to get use to I guess. The grip against my skin is the biggest issue.Might be looking at getting a Kahr PM9 instead and carry in my pocket.

Anyways, the thing I like about the holster is the interchangeable kydex part. If I get another gun that they make holsters for, then I don't have to spend $85 on an entirely new holster. The kydex comes off and you can screw anew one on. I think they are around $35 or so.

Anyways, good fast service and a nice refined product that can be switchedout without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have one and absolutely love it. I actually prefer it over my Crossbreed. It's just as comfortable as the crossbreed but it looks nicer IMO. I too like that you can change out the kydex and use it for multiple guns.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have one and absolutely love it. I actually prefer it over my Crossbreed. It's just as comfortable as the crossbreed but it looks nicer IMO. I too like that you can change out the kydex and use it for multiple guns.
+1

I have one and like it more than the Crossbreed also.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Had a couple different holsters from Crossbreed and they just did not fit my needs so I as well went with Comp-Tac MTAC and it's a really super well made holster that fits me extremely well and I love the fact you can swap out the kydex for around $35 and have a new holster

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better watch what we say about the "competition" or else you might get a "warning" email.

I do know the email I received didn't take 6 weeks to get to me.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I carry an XD45c compact in my MTAC and have no problems. Also carry an XD40sc. Play with positioning, it should work. RM 75, you mentioned the grip against your skin. I wear a tee shirt so that the holster is not in direct contact with my love handles!!

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I carry an XD45c compact in my MTAC and have no problems. Also carry an XD40sc. Play with positioning, it should work. RM 75, you mentioned the grip against your skin. I wear a tee shirt so that the holster is not in direct contact with my love handles!!

Yeah I wear a t shirt untucked. I would have to wear 2 shirts for it not to rub, one tucked the other untucked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an MTAC as well and I love it. I also like to wear an undershirt in between the gun and my skin. I don't do it all the time, but when the weather allows, I will.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What position are you all wearing yours in? I was at 4-4:30 and couldn't drive with it on. Maybe 3 o'clock would be better?

I was thinking of just taking it out of the IWB when driving and putting it in the XD gear holster in my concsole then reholstering to get out of the truck. Just don't know yet.

In addition, I can't do aything now because my brand new compact 40 is back at Springfield for warranty work.:mad:

D

·
0 Posts
I have an MTAC. I really love it. I also love that it really is a quality piece and that they can be made in just a few business days, rather than several weeks. To be honest, that was the single biggest factor that swayed me to the MTAC. Otherwise I would have bought a Crossbreed. But the more I thought about, I also really enjoyed the higher quality and "finished" look of the MTAC. It also comes "free" with the "combat cut." I'm sure the SuperTuck is a great product, but it just didn't fit my needs at the time.

You'll have to experiment with positioning. Also, what kind of belt are you using? You have to use a quality gun belt. I use a belt from the Beltman. You can grab one of their quick ship belts. Mine shipped out the next day after my order (I ordered at 11 PM or so). No waiting for that, either. Great belt!

But yea, you'll have to experiment. I was sort of "meh" when I first got my gear, but after doing some adjusting and experimentation, both the MTAC and Beltman make a wonderful match. I can carry my XD45 more confidently and with better concealment than ever before. No need to constantly hike up my pants anymore or feel the pistol sort of move aronud with every step I take.

Also, the MTAC has a bit of a "break in" period. You may also want to adjust the retention a bit. I know my MTAC was a bit too tight from the factory. I had to loosen it up a bit. Make sure to test the retention while you have it strapped on. Luckily they include a little hex key so you can make the adjustment. Very easy.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an MTAC. I really love it. I also love that it really is a quality piece and that they can be made in just a few business days, rather than several weeks. To be honest, that was the single biggest factor that swayed me to the MTAC. Otherwise I would have bought a Crossbreed. But the more I thought about, I also really enjoyed the higher quality and "finished" look of the MTAC. It also comes "free" with the "combat cut." I'm sure the SuperTuck is a great product, but it just didn't fit my needs at the time.

You'll have to experiment with positioning. Also, what kind of belt are you using? You have to use a quality gun belt. I use a belt from the Beltman. You can grab one of their quick ship belts. Mine shipped out the next day after my order (I ordered at 11 PM or so). No waiting for that, either. Great belt!

But yea, you'll have to experiment. I was sort of "meh" when I first got my gear, but after doing some adjusting and experimentation, both the MTAC and Beltman make a wonderful match. I can carry my XD45 more confidently and with better concealment than ever before. No need to constantly hike up my pants anymore or feel the pistol sort of move aronud with every step I take.

Also, the MTAC has a bit of a "break in" period. You may also want to adjust the retention a bit. I know my MTAC was a bit too tight from the factory. I had to loosen it up a bit. Make sure to test the retention while you have it strapped on. Luckily they include a little hex key so you can make the adjustment. Very easy.
Yeah I hear you on the shipping part. I was ready to order the "competition" but read on here how long it took. Im like.....Umm, it's 2011 and everything is about how fast you can get it or get it done. Im glad I went the Comp Tac route. Looks nicer, has adjustable retention, the kydex is interchangeable and a free combat cut.

Anyways, yeah, I'll have to wear it more to break it in. I ordered a very thick belt form a place called bullhidebelts.com. Its a great belt and I had it in 4.5 days from time of order on a Friday night I had it on Thursday afternoon. Same with my Comp Tac....4.5 DAYS!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My Minotaur's Kydex crushed under the pressure of my gun belt. That made re-holstering difficult and dangerous. YMMV

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Minotaur's Kydex crushed under the pressure of my gun belt. That made re-holstering difficult and dangerous. YMMV
Was there something wrong with the kydex? To my understanding, and many reviews Ive seen on youtube, the thickness of the kydex is the same on the 2 more popular makes.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Was there something wrong with the kydex? To my understanding, and many reviews Ive seen on youtube, the thickness of the kydex is the same on the 2 more popular makes.
Nothing visibly wrong with it. Having done some work with Kydex since that time, I have two theories:

1. The Kydex is thinner than that on some other IWB hybrid holsters and the tension of my belt was tighter than those who've had success with the M-TAC.

2. The Kydex was heated to too high a temperature before molding.

I got rid of the holster so I don't know which it was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wear mine at about 3:30, and I don't have any trouble riding in the car, but that greatly varies by body type. I wouldn't be able to draw easily while in the car though. I know some people will remove their gun and put it in another holster or just under a jacket or something in the passenger seat while driving though, so you wouldn't be alone if you did that with your XD gear holster.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.