Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out tonight during a class I was shooting left. About 18" at 40 yrds. Thought maybe I was just having a bad night on some of long distance shots but had a few other guys try my XD out, including one of my instructors, everybody had the same results.

I've got probably close to 15k rounds through this gun and its always been dead accurate since I bought it new. Now ill be honest, I've put this gun through hell, but have a hard time believing the sights have moved. Has anybody noticed where the marks are on the sides of the factory sights? I've never noticed these marks until tonight, and I assume the sights should be centered between them. Well my sights are not. Are the sights adjusted at the factory, or just set centered between these marks and good to go? My front and rear were both offset to the left, but the rear offset more.
I was able to move the rear sight to the right a bit with a hammer and punch. It wasn't easy, but not as difficult as many people have described it to be. I've heard of people going to town on the sights with a hammer and not budging. Mine took a couple solid hits and actually moved so far that i had to move it back the other way again.
Hopefully this will correct the problem. I'm just wondering if anybody else has had to do this after heavy use with their XD.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
the rear sight on my xd9 is off to the left. @ about the 700rd mark i noticed it while cleaning it, ive put another 540rds through it and the sight is still in the same spot so i don't think its drifting. contacted sa, was told they only test fire the gun for function, sights are not adjusted before shipping out. cs told me i have the option of shipping it to sa for free inspection & to re center the sight. i have to just get off my fat 4ss & do it on my day off, im always telling myself ill do it next week though.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Move the rear sights towards the direction you need your impacts to move.
So if you impacts are to the left of center mass, move the rear to the right and you impacts will move to the right.

Move the front away from the direction you want to move the impact. So if you impacts are to the left of center move the front to the left and your impacts will move to the right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My xd40 came from the factory off i took it to a smith the sights are cold pressed on and took a lot of pressure to move them .Once they were set correctly have not had any problems.:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
Moving XD sights. Poor devil! My XD requires a back pack nuke to move the rear sights. . I was beginning to think the rear was staked or glued. They aren't. My son's drift easily with a brass punch. My gunsmith BROKE a glock rear sight adjustment tool trying to move mine. Finally got it moved enough ( I wanted less than a mm) with a punch and hammer. As I said, my son's XD moves with a punch and normal effort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts