Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep. Got a Taurus 856 snubby 38 spl.. Did not at all need it..... But i did want it and for under $200 and free shipping i could not resist. I told the wife she could clean it and put it back in the box and give it to me for Christmas since she has this crazy idea that adults need Christmas presents. Lol

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
Had to refrain due to an impending LARGE repair bill for my truck... wrote that check yesterday, in fact.

Very unfortunate timing.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Back in the eighties I bought a safe. Half was for firearms and the other half had shelves for jewelry, camera gear, documents. etc. I converted it to all firearms. But that also became way too small. I bought a second gun safe on Black Friday. I don't expect to need a third safe, but who knows.
Just getting one with free shipping is a huge savings. Academy had one for 300 shipped which was a hell of a deal. I should've gotten one too. I've got some other plans in mind besides just a safe though. Which won't ever be discussed on the interwebs but yeah. Definitely can always use another safe.
Not AR related, but I upgraded to Lvl IV plates...
I still need to get a plate carrier with some mag pouches. I've been on AR500's site and picked out a rig more than once but never pulled the trigger. They get expensive when you start adding good shit on them.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
^ I purchased my first carrier on a whim - there was a good set of steep discounts going on at the time with TAG (probably still are), with previous-generation stuff, so I just went with it: probably ending up wasting those dollars, and although I could say that it's inconsequential, the truth is that what I paid for them would have supported another placard, along with more pouches/accessories.

What I'm really trying to say, I guess, DevJames is to just take your time and work out what exactly it is that you want with your carrier. Counter to my initial thinking where it came to this kind of stuff, I now believe strongly that if you're looking for a SHTF kind of deal, it actually may be in your best interest to save up a bit more and go with a higher-quality and more comfortable setup, given that you're more likely to need to move for an extended period of time with said gear.

Similarly, with some of the better stuff, it's easier to scale to your needs. I've got a placard set up for extra mags just waiting on zombie slaying :D, but for class, I use a "general-purpose/learning" setup where the placard holds an extra centerline-front TQ, an extra safety cutter, an admin light, a low-light safety marker, and an admin pouch that can be quickly and easily accessed for note-taking materials, my phone, and even a small snack. Instead of taking a half-hour to un-weave/re-weave MOLLE, I'm done in 5 seconds by unclipping two ITW SRBs and ripping off a VELCRO-backed panel.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
^ I purchased my first carrier on a whim - there was a good set of steep discounts going on at the time with TAG (probably still are), with previous-generation stuff, so I just went with it: probably ending up wasting those dollars, and although I could say that it's inconsequential, the truth is that what I paid for them would have supported another placard, along with more pouches/accessories.

What I'm really trying to say, I guess, DevJames is to just take your time and work out what exactly it is that you want with your carrier. Counter to my initial thinking where it came to this kind of stuff, I now believe strongly that if you're looking for a SHTF kind of deal, it actually may be in your best interest to save up a bit more and go with a higher-quality and more comfortable setup, given that you're more likely to need to move for an extended period of time with said gear.

Similarly, with some of the better stuff, it's easier to scale to your needs. I've got a placard set up for extra mags just waiting on zombie slaying :D, but for class, I use a "general-purpose/learning" setup where the placard holds an extra centerline-front TQ, an extra safety cutter, an admin light, a low-light safety marker, and an admin pouch that can be quickly and easily accessed for note-taking materials, my phone, and even a small snack. Instead of taking a half-hour to un-weave/re-weave MOLLE, I'm done in 5 seconds by unclipping two ITW SRBs and ripping off a VELCRO-backed panel.
Oh I'm sure whatever I get first, I'll find things I don't like or don't need and wind up replacing half of it after running around with it on a while. We all have a big box of stuff that sounded like a good idea in theory but didn't work out for us in execution.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not on Black Friday, but the next day. I went to the gun show in Ladson, SC (which is just outside Charleston) and my FFL buddy had a P365 Sig which I certainly didn't need, but couldn't resist. I really like this little gun, but I did have to get a new holster and an uplula to go with it. The double stack Sig Mags are impossible to load by hand!

Reactions: DevJames
21 - 28 of 28 Posts