Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many other XDS owners I'm not happy with the post-recall trigger in my XDS. Since I had performed some work on my Glock 23, I ordered the Powder River Precision trigger spring kit. After watching the Powder River Youtube video several times I'm not at all confident I can perform the install and reassembly. I live in Marshfield and I'm not aware of a "qualified gunsmith" in my area to install the kit.

I thought I would check on the forum to see if there was anyone in Wisconsin who had already installed the kit and would be willing to let me visit and be my "tutor" so I could install the kit and learn something about the XDS in the process.

This is Wisconsin so it goes without saying I would provide the microbrews and cheese curds for the install! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed my spring kit today. It was a semi pain in the a$$, but I got through it. Most of the videos out there are horrible. The camera work is sub par and much of the difficult work is done off screen. That being said, I am no gunsmith, but I was able to manage. I would be much more confident a second time around. I picked up a little mallet and a pin punch set, so I had the right tools. I should have picked up a bench block, it was hard working without one. The youtube video by PRP was more helpful than others, but Daniel makes it look easy because he's done it a thousand times.

I am happy that I got to learn how to fully tear it down for future reference. There were a few curse words uttered, but watching the videos a few times beforehand made me aware of what could go wrong and what to look out for.

I wasn't able to measure the trigger pull prior to the install, but it is noticeably lighter.

My advice would be to give it a try, if you have the right tools, but have a backup plan. If it gives you trouble, walk away for a bit and come back to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with that ...Give it a go it's really fairly easy. my first gun took about 40 minutes and the second was done in about 15 . I really like the feel of the triggers on these guns now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with that ...Give it a go it's really fairly easy. my first gun took about 40 minutes and the second was done in about 15 . I really like the feel of the triggers on these guns now.
What are the results of your spring swaps? Any poundage numbers you can supply for comparison?:confused:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
What are the results of your spring swaps? Any poundage numbers you can supply for comparison?:confused:
I know you didn't ask me, but I did before and after trigger pull measurements so hopefully this will help.

Post-recall my XDs was right at 7.5lbs. With the full PRP spring kit, it was just over 5.5lbs for a reduction of just under 2lbs. (The striker spring was responsible for about a pound of the reduction.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pre recall mine went from about 6.5 to 4.5 pounds. After recall it went from over 7 down to 6 pounds. I still wasn't happy so I tweaked the grip safety spring, polished all the internals and got it down to 4.5 pounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. I just got my 45 XDs a few days ago. I am going to order the spring kit and install it later after I break it in real good. Why does the grip safety spring affect the trigger weight? Does it put pressure on the sear or trigger bar? It would make sense that it only is there to put pressure on the grip safety to ensure it is depressed by your hand to fire. Obviously this isn't the case on this pistol. Is there a thread that explains the way these parts interact to create the trigger pull?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just installed my spring kit today. It was a semi pain in the a$$, but I got through it. <snip>

My advice would be to give it a try, if you have the right tools, but have a backup plan. If it gives you trouble, walk away for a bit and come back to it. Good luck!
Tools I have. The backup plan is the problem. If I am left with "extra parts", lose flying springs or bend/mangle parts I don't have a gunsmith around to take it to. Despite my best (past) attempts on firearms, I have had these things happen before...

I don't prefer Glocks to Springfields but they are idiot-proof. I guess that's the reason I have had success working on them! The trigger group of the Springfield is a little more complicated and in my case, it doesn't take much! :oops:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Installing the PRP spring kit was not difficult at all. Just take your time and follow the PRP video. My install took about 30 Minutes and dropped the pull weight almost 2 Lbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installing the PRP spring kit was not difficult at all. Just take your time and follow the PRP video. My install took about 30 Minutes and dropped the pull weight almost 2 Lbs.
Easy for you, but I am not you. I am also not a 20 year old newbie who is too intimidated to start his first project. Fifty years of shooting, the school of hard knocks, and (sometimes) maintaining/repairing firearms has taught me three important lessons:

1) I have no inherent understanding of things mechanical.
2) Clint Eastwood was right: "A man's gotta know his limitations."
3) I do have a decent memory and once shown I can take care of things going forward.

If there is no one on the forum who is within driving distance and is also willing to spend an hour with me then it is a $23.00 lesson and I can throw the parts in the trash. I've watched the PRP video 8 times and if I thought I had an even chance of not mucking things up totally, I wouldn't waste the time of other forum members by posting this topic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did my XDs today, took longer than I expected. The sear spring and grip safety spring were very aggravating. Here is a link to the video I watched before getting started.
That is the PRP video I have watched many times and referenced in my previous posts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's another link. It's a complete disassembly of a pre-recall XDs. Even though it's pre-recall, it's still relevant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts