Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had come across a great deal at a garage sale the other day. When i asked the elderly woman who owned the home if her recently passed husband had any rifles for sale, since the safe had already sold. She said "i have one left, but nobody seems to want to buy it. And they cant or wont tell me if im asking too much for it." When she had came outside with a musty smelling, stained covered rifle case i had expected something rusted together solid. And im 110% ok with being completely wrong. She handed me a Sako L579 6mm in a custom made right hand thumb hole stock. The scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 from when B&L was apart of Bushnell. Has had an amazing trigger job done to it as well. There is 0% pre travel before it breaks so nicely. And i mean Zero percent. It has i think 2 oenny size spots of surface rust, and blueing is almost a gray color. I dont think words can really describe how well this rifle has been built. I asked her what she had been asking for it.. im not going to say how much, since i plan on cleaning it up before it goes on the market, but i gave her $100 more than what she was asking on it and it was still cheaper than what you could buy the scope for new.

So, now, i guess is what i was hoping for, is someone to maybe give me some facts on it. I know the 6mm will shoot lighter loads (some say even normal loads) of .244rem. The only difference is the twist rate for the 6mm is lower than the .244... other than that i keep finding dead ends or abandon threads on it.

Any and all help will be greatly appricated:D
Thanks for taking time to ready my best firearm buy this year so far..
20170714_083556.jpg
20170714_083528.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
CHECK THE BORE/CHAMBER before you do anything. That is marked 6mm 284. And the finish on the barrel does not match the action, it may be aftermarket. Not an original stock either.

If it is a 6x284, the previous owner knew what they had and used it correctly. Necked down from .284 to 6mm, probably pushing 3500 fps with 95 g bullets. Probably a reload only cartridge, I don't know anybody that makes factory 6x284.

As to the sako, My dad has a Sako .17-223. Smooth as silk, a similiar model to the win m-70 with a full length lug on the bolt. It uses a claw extractor, the sako extractor, which is copied/modified by almost every custom bolt gun maker around. It is what spawned the m-16 extractor and mini-m16 extractor. I am not sure if here are long and sort actions for that model, it looks to me like they are all longer than a standard short action, but not 30-06 sized.

A great gun in either the original 6mm chambering or the possible, fireballer a 6x284 is. If you decide it's not for you, keep the scope and I will buy the rifle for what you paid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had ended up getting a trade offered to me from a local gunsmith, and since my reloading room/gun book room my grandfather gave me is on boxes so we can repair our foundation, i took the trade offer. I recieved a 180series mini 14, condition id say is 95-98% with 3 mini14 mags (5rnd 20rnd and 30rnd)vand $350 cash. And i got to keep the bushnell. I hated to see it go, but i couldnt reload for ot anytime soon and id hate to see it rust. But i got something i can help teach my girlfriend and younger sisters with. Will post pictures of the mini at daylight.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Sako/Tikka make GREAT rifles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts