Springfield XD Forum banner

Any Ruger LC9 Experience?

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  DF Tracker 
#1 ·
I'm looking into the Ruger LC9 as a slimmer alternative to my XDsc9.

Does anyone here have any experience with it? Or opinions on it?

I've seen it compared to the Keltec PF9, Walther PPS, Sig P290, Kahr PM/CM9 and Taurus PT709. It seems to me that Ruger if executed well, may have hit the sweet spot in the middle of this niche of slim compact 9's in terms of price and quality.

#4 ·
If I was buying a single stack 9 and I hope to in the not too distant future, I would lean toward the Kahr CM9. I've held both, but shot neither. The trigger felt better on the Kahr. The magazine disconnect on the Ruger was a negative. The Kahr was actually cheaper at my LGS than the Ruger.

#6 ·
Size difference isn't significant, but the weight is. According to the website, there is a little over 5 oz. difference in the Ruger's favor, ...if I read that correctly:rolleyes:. I think it would be like the difference in shooting a singe stack metal frame and a double stack tupperware frame. The metal will be more stable.

#9 ·
I was happy to see Ruger come out with this, I was interested in the LCP but didn't want to get a .380 because it is such a small round and always seems to be sold out at stores.

The LC9 looks to be a winner!

#12 ·
I've shot both side-by-side, same ammo.
The PF-9 is ~5oz lighter, but to me, recoil seemed pretty equal. The Ruger didn't seem any more accurate than the PF-9, but did have a few FTEs, where the PF-9 didn't and everyone who shot preferred the PF-9 (but of course, that's subjective).

One thing I didn't like and don't understand about the LC9 is putting a manual safety on and Long DOA trigger.

It's too soon to tell about growing pains, but Ruger does have a tendency to have at least one Recall (aka Service Update) on all it's newly designed pistols. Hopefully the LC9 will avoid this dark Spectre like the SR9c did (but then, the SR9c is basically just a cut down SR9).

#13 ·
PF9 is pretty stout on recoil. But it's the modern equivalent of the old "Bulldog" revolvers. Lots of power in a small package. Just shoot mine often enough to stay familiar with it. The little gun is very accurate and reliable. Lots of people don't like the trigger. I started off shooting DAO revolvers so the trigger is not a problem to me. Really like mine. In a defensive gun simple is good. Don't like magazine disconnect safties and such on my guns. KISS on carry guns.

#14 ·
A friend of mine bought a Keltec PF9 the other day and I had bought the LC9. So of coarse this meant we had to have some range time for some comparisons! After I put 50 rounds through my LC9 I handed it to my friend and he handed me his pf9. the first thing I noticed was the fit and finish was kind of crude and the the trigger guard was close enough to the trigger that it was a tight fit for my index finger, I have moderately large hands. The sights were OK, I wasn't expecting great sights and they weren't, they were adequate however.
I had no problem with the accuracy it did well, the trigger was good and it broke about halfway back and it was predictable. The reset was short and the recoil was very snappy. The grips are pretty aggressive and it bit into my had, it hurt but then the gun didn't move in my hand either.This is not, let me repeat that,NOT a range gun in my opinion.You can shoot it enough to become competent with it. I had no FTF's or FTE's in the 50 or so rounds I shot. It has minimal safeties, and that appeals to me and at a price of $265.00 I thought it was a good buy for him.
Ok on to the LC9. The fit and finish was much better. The trigger guard was large enough to be comfortable. The sights are better than I expected, they are a three dot sight with a windage adjustable rear sight. I think the accuracy on both of these pistols are roughly the same, the difference to me is the weight difference, the extra 5 or ounces helps with the recoil. the recoil is snappy but controllable and much more comfortable. the grips aren't as aggressive and they didn't bite my hand so I could shoot longer. the trigger is long very long but if you can shoot a double action well it is easy to get used to. I put a total of 150 rounds though it that day with no issues at at all, my friend shot about 50 rounds threw it as well with no issues and he is now thinking of buying one. It does have every safety in the book because they would like to sell it in California, but I just don't use them all. They both fit in my front pocket comfortably inside my Nemesis pocket holster. This pistol around here goes for between $380 to $420, so roughly $100 more then the Keltec and as I understand the Kahr was another $100 more than the Ruger. I am very happy with the LC9 I believe that I got the best bang for my bucks and it will be my summer carry or when I need a smaller gun I'll save my xd9sc for everything else.

Attachments

#15 ·
I recently purchased the ruger lc9. I love this gun. I have fired 350 rds without any hiccups. Not a single ftf, fte, not one issue. I fired 115g fmj in cci, remington, winchester, and umc. Fired 50 rds. of cirtical defence 124g jhp+p. Yes it has a long trigger pull, however, you get used to it really quickly. The very first round that i fired from the gun at 21ft hit dead on center. The issue with the manual safety, there is no issue, frankly i like that safety. The load chamber indicator is a litttle high, but you don't see it while looking down the sights, no biggie. The only really issue here is the mag release, but I can take care of that if I really wanted to, I'm going to leave it be. I'm a left handed shooter and the mag lease button does'nt hinder me at all. If you guys are thinking about purchasing this gun, my opinion DO IT!:D

#16 ·
When the LCP was introduced, my first thought was, "I hope they make one in 9mm". I was going to wait to see if Ruger was going to have any recalls before buying one. Yesterday I walked in to my LGS and they had one, after dry firing it a few times I put it on Lay-a-way. The trigger is long but lighter than a J frame (current carry gun). I seem to shoot better with a double action trigger. It should be a nice option for the carry rotation. I admit, it was an impulse buy, but I am weak. I think they should price it closer to $400-425 with 3 magazines, but I am picky too.:p

later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.