Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im building a SBR and i have a cmmg lower im building it on. i would like a cmmg but money is kinda tight, so i am thinking of getting a model 1 pistol upper instead. since this is just a fun gun quality isnt that much of a concern. my other ar is a 18" SPR that is all cmmg and it works great. so if i do have the money when my stamp somes i will get the cmmg upper but if i havent saved enough then i think i will get the model one i just want to hear some peoples expiernce with them,

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
well im building a SBR and i have a cmmg lower im building it on. i would like a cmmg but money is kinda tight, so i am thinking of getting a model 1 pistol upper instead. since this is just a fun gun quality isnt that much of a concern. my other ar is a 18" SPR that is all cmmg and it works great. so if i do have the money when my stamp somes i will get the cmmg upper but if i havent saved enough then i think i will get the model one i just want to hear some peoples expiernce with them,

thanks
I would have to warn you not to go too cheap as that is when the problems start. If you are going to spend the money on a SBR you want to use quality components.
Pat

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
No experience w/ the M1S uppers. I got one of their LPK's for my first build and it was okay, but some of the parts in my kit must have slipped past QC.

I'll agree with AKpopo here, if you're going to drop the coin on and do an SBR you might as well save up a little extra and get some good components.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have one of the M1S bull barrel target uppers that I picked up at Knob Creek a while back. The fit and finish on the upper is excellent and I have not had problem one (knock on wood) after several hundrend rounds down the tube. It is 100% functional and very accurate. I would have no problem going with M1S for your complete SBR upper.

Now, that being said, CMMG makes some of the best AR uppers/rifles on the market IMHO. If your confidence level in the CMMG is going to be higher and you don't mind shelling out a little extra coin on your project (which by the time you get your paperwork from the feds, etc...money shouldn't be an issue), the CMMG will serve you very well and should also be problem-free.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have not dealt with M1S either, but I'm looking to them for my SBR also.

Everything I've read about them, if there's a problem with something, they will make it right, unlike other companies.

My feeling is, get the SBR functioning and then swap out parts later to higher grade stuff if you have the funds at a later time. Soon, you'll have enough parts for a 2nd SBR that way. ;)

Hardwarz

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My son has a M1S m4, he's had no problems with it and he shoots the sh&^t out of it.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

thanks
Model 1 is OK. Other than not having parkerization under the FSB on their barrels that I have seen, I don't see a difference in one to another of their barreled uppers.

I'm actually in the process of saving up for a 9mm tuber upper build and I planned on getting the 7 inch pistol upper they have listed when I start building it.

Though the 9mm uppers are blowback and the parkerization under the FSB doesnt' apply to them.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care one way or another if the barrel was completely parked or not, but SBR's especially under 10.5 inches usually do generate a lot more heat due to the gas port positioning and will erode it quicker without it where super short SBR's are concerned.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
+1 to agalindo. i have bumpfired ,lol, probably around 300 rounds, and besides getting the barrel hot as hell, and all the other regular shooting i have no complaints. only problem i had was when i took the stock off once i didnt screw it in far enough and smashed the dent pin.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't think it will make much difference what brand upper you use with .223 being such a high pressure round virtually all of them will need a little fine tuning to make them reliable with a 7.5" or less barrel I've even had to tweak my 10.5" LMT to get it to stop blowing out the primers

M1S does not actually make any of the parts they just asseble them no telling who actually makes them as I've never seen any markings on them at least not a the ones I've seen at gun shows

Due to their price I would assume it's from middle tier compenies buy what you like if parkerising under the FSB is important that could be done latter for cheap

As you have pointed out an AR pistol is not very practicle and are pretty much so for range fun however they do make great conversation pieces

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im pretty good at tweaking my guns and i dont think that i will run accross anything i wont be able to fix.
im going to get a YHM railed free float and i am going to get a gas block from them and have them install it all so in the end the only things that will be model one will be the barrel and the upper receiver itself. so as long as the components are installed correctly i dont see how those two could be much of an issue.

but like i said IF i can afford a CMMG i will get one. im a college student so i dont have tons of money. but at least i have about 3 months to save up.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I don't think it will make much difference what brand upper you use with .223 being such a high pressure round virtually all of them will need a little fine tuning to make them reliable with a 7.5" or less barrel I've even had to tweak my 10.5" LMT to get it to stop blowing out the primers

if parkerising under the FSB is important that could be done latter for cheap
What was causing the popped primers? Most of the time when I hear of anyone having trouble with a shorty it's with cycling issues that are usually gas system, or extractor related. Not with blowing primers. That's a new one on me. I'm just curious what was wrong with it and what you did to fix that.

I'm not arguing nor bragging, but I have an 8.5 inch upper I've never had to do anything to "tweak" to get it running right. It's been flawless and I've shot it a lot.

Parkerizing under the FSB is usually a moot point for me and certainly isn't a deal breaker for me most of the time, but there is a lot more heat and slightly larger gas port & on the super shorty barrels because of the port placement being closer to the chamber, I do feel that full parkerizing is advantageous on a super shorty.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
im not sure what was causing it i pretty much so switched out the buffer spring and buffer and switched out the hammer spring and put a with a a JP spring i also installed a new extractor and O ring. Ive only fired it once since then and was able to put about 100 rounds through it without any problems.

i am assuming the bolt wasn't staying locked long enough or the hammer was hitting it two hard and breaking the the primer loose possibly it wasn't seating in the bolt correctly.

like i said im not sure what was casuing it but a little fine tuning seems to have fixed the problem.

and the whole build is LMT

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got a 1 upper. I have only run about 500 rounds through it, but so far not one single problem. Very good service and fast delivery too.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i figured i would tell everyone i went with the cmmg upper. they are going to hold it at my local dealers shop till my stamp comes in. i ordered it off the EE at ar15.com, they said at CMMG that it would be at least a 3 month wait so i really didnt want to have my stamp and no gun like what happened when i got my can (my gun that it fit on was in the gunsmiths waiting on a spring for 4 months)

but i have an extra lower that i think i am going to build an carbine on and im going to use model one for that. then i will have a 10.3, 16" and 18"
sounds like a perfect family to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts